Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #1

gauges

I'm thinking about adding two gauges to my discovery, the boost gauge and the transmission temperature as anyone done those? are they hard to get done what's involved?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
My recommendation is to install a Silverleaf monitor. If you buy the whole box, the cost is quite high; but if you buy the PC version and attach it to a computer running Windows (any version) you will have all the gauges you want and then some, for about $300 plus a used computer. The Silverleaf cable plugs into the engine diagnostic port, which is located somewhere near the driver's station, and into the computer - serial port or USB, your choice when you order. Here's the website: SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc. | Knowledge is Horsepower

F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&D ABQ View Post
My recommendation is to install a Silverleaf monitor. If you buy the whole box, the cost is quite high; but if you buy the PC version and attach it to a computer running Windows (any version) you will have all the gauges you want and then some, for about $300 plus a used computer. The Silverleaf cable plugs into the engine diagnostic port, which is located somewhere near the driver's station, and into the computer - serial port or USB, your choice when you order. Here's the website: SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc. | Knowledge is Horsepower
That is a good idea I have to look into that a little more thanks for that link very nice. Joe.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #4

Boost guage is not hard to install. The biggest problem is drilling/taping a hole in the exhaust manifold tho Autometer has a clamp on kit. IMO clamp ons are not as fast acting as a probe placed into the exhaust manifold. Most transmission temp guages senders can be screwed into the transmission pressure test port. use the electric version instead of mechanical version. Very simple to install. Just read the instructions
Old 07-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Pretty sure you want the boost gauge connected on the intake side, not the exhaust side?
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:22 AM   #6

I never installed one but I was told to do it on the intake side as close to the intake as possible. Thanks all Joe.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #7

I use VMSpc on my 2000 Damon Ultrasport 260 HP ISB. I have a 1000MH Allison which does not have a trans temp gauge so I don't get that reading. It must be ok because I have not had a problem with the trans. The turbo boost gauge is part of my engine data and I read it out.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #8

does anyone know if freightliner as matching gauges for bost and trans temp as the ones on the 06 discovery?
Old 07-31-2010, 09:06 AM   #9

The only place you can get a boost reading is downstream of the Turbo's "Cold" side (between the Turbo and engine intake). If the engine has an intake manifold that is common to all cylinders, there may be a port on it for installation of a boost gage pickup fitting. If there is no fitting and you must make one, DO NOT drill into the intake system unless you have the part in your hand and can make certain it'll be clean when you put it back. You don't want chips and/or metal shavings in the system (the tube between the elastomer elbows at the Turbo and intake manifold is a good place to do this after it is removed).

Tapping into the exhaust side of the system will get you nothing relative to boost. However, you can get the exhaust temperature reading with the right equipment. Again, DO NOT drill into the exhaust system upstream of the Turbo (and going downstream won't give you accurate information).

My Silverleaf VMspc connected to the diagnostic port of the Cummins 330 ISC and Allison 3060 trans provided digital readout of Boost, engine cooling temperature, trans temperature, intake manifold temperature, etc.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
does anyone know if freightliner as matching gauges for bost and trans temp as the ones on the 06 discovery?
Getting specific information about your Freightliner chassis is best done by calling them at 1 800 385 4357.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:07 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know if frieghtliner has or would talk about aftermarket devices...

I would go electronic. All that data and more is readily available at the odb2 diagnostic port right now, you don't need any extra plumbing or sensors or wiring, just something to read and display the existing data stream.

If you want, for not much more $$$ you can get a tuner from banks and others, they will give you boost and trans temp readout, exhaust gas temp, plus more, plus an extra 75 HP and up to 200 Ft Lbs of torque.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:00 PM   #12

thanks everyone looks like the electronics is the way to go, Joe.