Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
gklehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 215
Gel Coat Painting

I'm back to the well of knowledge for my '97 gulf stream class C restoration project.
The once white gelcoat over the fiberglass exterior is now an aged off-white yellowed color with cracked pinstripping. Tried buffing with a polishing compound but looks like re-painting will be the only fix. I was thinking of using an acrylic enamel (sprayed on). Also any advice on removal of the old pin stripping?
Basically I need help on what type of paint has been successful for the backyard restore. I'm in no hurry, planning on doing it in sections as time and the old body allows!

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated!!

Many Thanks,

Greg, Karen and the kids (Choc. Lab and Golden).
__________________

__________________
gklehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
doc
Senior Member
 
doc's Avatar
 
Appalachian Campers
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dixie !! (north Georgia) USA
Posts: 2,880
Heat gun and plastic putty knife to remove the decals. Don't overheat. Emron paint - high dollar but good stuff. We painted our planes with it.
__________________

__________________
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Senior Chief's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere in the woods in Belfair, WA, WA
Posts: 1,250
Interlux Brightside marine topside paint. It's a tough glossy polyurethane, and many backyard restorers swear by it.

Ditto the scraper for the decals, but I would use a hair dryer rather than a heat gun. MEK or acetone to clean up the adhesive.

RedMax Pro #3 to restore the gloss to the gelcoat you don't paint.
__________________
Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen


Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
JBDISCOVERY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 394
Greg, if you are ok with using a spray paint gun, then the modern automotive paints are good to use. The cost is reasonable. Proper preparation with a primer, followed with a base color coat, and then a two part clear coat will give a long lasting, beautiful job. Done it myself and quite proud of it.
JB
__________________
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Interlux Brightside marine topside paint. It's a tough glossy polyurethane, and many backyard restorers swear by it.

Ditto the scraper for the decals, but I would use a hair dryer rather than a heat gun. MEK or acetone to clean up the adhesive.

RedMax Pro #3 to restore the gloss to the gelcoat you don't paint.
Where do I find the RedMaxPro#3? Who makes it? How hard is it to use? My gel coat is faded also.

Thanks

hwy49rver
__________________
hwy49rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklehner
I'm back to the well of knowledge for my '97 gulf stream class C restoration project.
The once white gelcoat over the fiberglass exterior is now an aged off-white yellowed color with cracked pinstripping. Tried buffing with a polishing compound but looks like re-painting will be the only fix. I was thinking of using an acrylic enamel (sprayed on). Also any advice on removal of the old pin stripping?
Basically I need help on what type of paint has been successful for the backyard restore. I'm in no hurry, planning on doing it in sections as time and the old body allows!

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated!!

Many Thanks,

Greg, Karen and the kids (Choc. Lab and Golden).
Hi Greg, I used Vertglas with great results and I can tell you my rv was so faded and the stripes were so cracked it was unbelievable !! I filled the stripes with a close matching felt pen and then gel coat and it looks like new!,,
__________________
Rob Arthurs
2000 Winnebago 35U
Saturn Sky
Trunorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Senior Chief's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere in the woods in Belfair, WA, WA
Posts: 1,250
Red Max Pro #3 is available at Lowe's for about $15 a gallon. It is a floor finish that you just wipe on- no buffing or polishing. Ultra fast and easy. Refresh the finish once a year with one new wipe-on coat. Doesn't yellow or peel; mud and bugs wash right off.

The protocol is to clean your MH thoroughly with Barkeepers Friend, (a powdered cleanser available at Walmart or the dollar store) and a white scrubbie, followed by a soapy wash and rinse to remove all the BKF.
Using a microfiber or chamois, wipe on a thin, damp coat (the Red Max is thin like water) wiping up any runs. It dries fast.
It normally takes 3-4 coats; the first coat will look terrible and you'll say "why did I ever start this??" but by the 2nd, 3rd and 4th, you'll start grinning.
The gloss is amazing, and it lasts and lasts and THEN you'll say "why didn't I do this years ago?!".

Here's a link to a long-running thread about Red Max Pro with lots of shiny pix here
__________________
Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen


Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Senior Chief's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere in the woods in Belfair, WA, WA
Posts: 1,250
Oh, and a gallon of Red Max Pro #3 will do your whole MH plus leave some for extra coats over the next few years.
__________________
Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen


Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 328
Here's a before/after of my 94 Winnebago Adventurer


http://i52.tinypic.com/bg43fm.jpg
__________________
KC9NPT (Merrill)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
gklehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 215
Many thanks to all for the great advice and information!
The Interlux paint seems a good choice to fit my situation (time, space, application method). It appears that much of my "yellowing" issue wais too much wax and not enough cleaning performed in the past. In the interim (while I slowly scrape off the pin-stripping) will try the BKF and a light wax so we don't look to much like the RV relatives in the movie "Christmas Vacation"!!
__________________
gklehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Vegasdan's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Red Max Pro #3 is available at Lowe's for about $15 a gallon. It is a floor finish that you just wipe on- no buffing or polishing. Ultra fast and easy. Refresh the finish once a year with one new wipe-on coat. Doesn't yellow or peel; mud and bugs wash right off.

The protocol is to clean your MH thoroughly with Barkeepers Friend, (a powdered cleanser available at Walmart or the dollar store) and a white scrubbie, followed by a soapy wash and rinse to remove all the BKF.
Using a microfiber or chamois, wipe on a thin, damp coat (the Red Max is thin like water) wiping up any runs. It dries fast.
It normally takes 3-4 coats; the first coat will look terrible and you'll say "why did I ever start this??" but by the 2nd, 3rd and 4th, you'll start grinning.
The gloss is amazing, and it lasts and lasts and THEN you'll say "why didn't I do this years ago?!".

Here's a link to a long-running thread about Red Max Pro with lots of shiny pix here
Can you apply this over the "decals" and is there any effect on them?
__________________
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Senior Chief's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere in the woods in Belfair, WA, WA
Posts: 1,250
The collective wisdom is yes, you can apply Red Max Pro #3 over virtually anything with no issues. I believe everyone who does it necessarily applies it right over their decals, and I've never heard of any problems.

It pretty much entombs everything, including bugs and dirt if you're not careful!

In fact, I'm still waiting to hear the first negative comment about Red Max Pro from someone who has actually used it.
__________________
Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen


Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
gklehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 215
After all these months, finally got around to painting. Based on the review by the marine folks, ended up using rustoleum top side, sprayed on. 3 coats and very happy with the finish. Especially since it is a backyard special. So many hours of prep work compared to the actual painting!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Paint 1.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	15290  
__________________
gklehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
vtwinwilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklehner View Post
After all these months, finally got around to painting. Based on the review by the marine folks, ended up using rustoleum top side, sprayed on. 3 coats and very happy with the finish. Especially since it is a backyard special. So many hours of prep work compared to the actual painting!
I assume you used some sort of spray gun. Can you elaborate? Did you do a top coat/clear coat?

BTW... Looks Great!
__________________

__________________
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
02 348 Challenger exterior gel coat? damonrider Damon 3 06-07-2010 05:14 AM
De-cal and gel coat issues cookie monster Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 3 07-15-2007 02:40 PM
Protecting gel coat Dryheat Excel Owner's Forum 5 05-15-2007 07:45 PM
knife-like cracks in gel coat adj MH-General Discussions & Problems 3 04-28-2006 09:50 AM
ok-one more time about the gel coat... melon Toy Haulers Discussion 31 06-24-2005 08:47 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.