Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2006, 04:16 AM   #1

This is only our second season in the MH and I would like to know how many use the genny and roof air conditioners while travelling.

We never did this last year but our holiday was to the east coast and in the mountains so the dash air seemed adequate.

This year we are planning hotter destinations.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2006, 04:16 AM   #2

This is only our second season in the MH and I would like to know how many use the genny and roof air conditioners while travelling.

We never did this last year but our holiday was to the east coast and in the mountains so the dash air seemed adequate.

This year we are planning hotter destinations.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:53 AM   #3

We do it all the time. Sometimes we run both, dash & roof. Remember to run the dash air occasionally so the seals do not dry out.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:20 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We run our genset while traveling all the time. In fact, since we don't dry camp all that much, enroute is our primary use of the genset and A/C.

We have not problem running both rooftop units on our genset and, when we have passengers, they appreciate the comfort that results.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:47 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
We use our gen set all the time while on the road. Provides power for our Lowe's 'fridge, roof air/heater, hot water heater, etc. No problem at all (in our bus conversion)

don
Old 06-25-2006, 06:08 AM   #6

Sounds good to me....thanks for the input.

2nd question: When the genny is running(while driving) does it charge the house batteries or does the engine alternator still take the load.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:30 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
2nd question....

Depends on how your motorhome is wired. My bus conversion has the output of the gen set powering the inverter - the inverter, with A/C on its input, goes into the "charge" mode thus charging the house battery system. I have no connections between the house system (12 volt) and the bus system (24 volt).

My "guess" is your gen set will power your converter - thus charging you house battery system. However it is done, you only want one of the two methods charging your house battery - either the coach alternator or your converter/inverter - not both at the same time.

don
Old 06-27-2006, 06:57 AM   #8

Thanks Don. I'm on 12 volts for both systems and have no idea how they are set up. I'll try going to the coach mfg but it's pretty old (92) and they may not go bach that far with their production records.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:47 AM   #9

LA Gulf Coast Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gordon23:
Thanks Don. I'm on 12 volts for both systems and have no idea how they are set up. I'll try going to the coach mfg but it's pretty old (92) and they may not go bach that far with their production records. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you have a built in volt meter? If not go buy one. It is a "must have".

With the coach parked and not plugged in and no gen running, read the coach batter voltage. It should read 12.6v. +- (you did buy a digital volt meter?).

Now plug in the coach and look at the voltage. It should go to 13 ++ after two minutes plugged in if your charger/inverter is working.

Now, un plug the coach and start the gen. Look at the voltage, if it goes to 13 ++ then the gen is charging the coach batteries.

Now, stop the gen and start the engine. Look at the coach voltage now. The engine driven generator should have brought the voltabe back to 13 ++.

This simple test will tell you what is charging when.

Walt
Old 06-29-2006, 06:34 AM   #10

The procedure is not a problem but where do I get the dig voltmeter (auto supply or coach mfg.) and is it then installed permanantly in the dash.

thanks
Old 06-29-2006, 10:13 AM   #11

LA Gulf Coast Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gordon23:
The procedure is not a problem but where do I get the dig voltmeter (auto supply or coach mfg.) and is it then installed permanantly in the dash.

thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Radio Shack has some digital multimeters for as low as $20. I have also seen them at Home Depot and Lowes. This type is not installed permanently (although some can be had that are). It is just a versatile tool to test voltages, continuity, and batteries.
Walt
Old 06-29-2006, 10:38 AM   #12

O.K. I thought you refered to an in dash unit.

I do have a digital mutli meter. I'll use that.

thanks again