Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
gen starting kills coach engine

My 1994 fleetwood pace arrow, cummins 250hp 8.3l pusher has a problem, if you start the gen while coach engine is running, the coach engine will shut off, no mater if parked or traveling down the road, but you can start the gen first, then coach engine and all is fine. don't know where to start, the gen is a onan 7.5 DKD diesel. The coach engine is all mechanical, except for the fuel shut off solinoid, so the only way to kill a diesel is stop the fuel, so somethings up.Any help would be greatly appreciated, Scott

If you are reading this , thank a teacher. If you are reading this in english, thank a soldier.
1994 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37' diesel pusher
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
I the Cummins is shutting down while the generator is cranking, I would suspect that some kind of "back door circuit" or "ground interrupt" is being caused by the generator starter relay or start switch(s).

No experience with this problem, just a general troubleshooting thought.

Good luck.

2012 Phaeton 36QSH
2007 Wrangler Toad
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you have a voltmeter, monitor the voltage on the fuel solenoid wire on the Cummins (with it running) and try to start the genset. I'll bet the voltage is dropping low enough to trip the fuel shutoff solenoid. This could well be a grounding issue or dirty/loose battery terminal connections (if there's still some voltage present) or a relay/switch issue.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Ok, I will test voltage @ fuel shutoff on coach engine, but if voltage drops, where should I start looking for a bad ground? I think there is only one wire at the shutoff, so it must get ground from the engine, does this sound right? If so then I need to check the engine ground strap(s) ? I do not have the wiring diagram for this coach. The battery terminals are all good so thats not where the prob is.
If you are reading this , thank a teacher. If you are reading this in english, thank a soldier.
1994 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37' diesel pusher
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote