Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Imperial 2001 plugged in for 45 days when out of the blue the gen was noted to be running. Cause????
Retiredoctom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Do you know if you have an auto gen start on the coach? If not here is a link that might get you started http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/for...10112541#42610112541
Please give us as much detail as you can.
Was the unit plugged in? Were the batteries disconnected? Are there animals in the area?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:36 AM   #3

Is it a 7.5 kw Onan? I remember over the last several years some folks had this problem. It turned out to be a problem with one of the multi-pin connectors.
Sorry I can't be more specific.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:09 AM   #4

Thanx to racer and wizard.
Onan 7.5, motorcoach plugged in, batteries were connected, many cats in the area, no auto gen start.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #5

A lot of times this is caused by moisture getting in the connection, for the remote starter on the dash. On my 2004 DSDP, when I pop the hood and look at the generator there are wires on the left side going up above it that has a pin connector about a foot up. These wires then continue to the switch that operates the generator on my dash. When moisture gets in the pin connect, it will activate the generator, just as if you pressed the button on the dash. The fix is to unsnap the connector clean, if necessary, then put some grease, used for waterproofing electrical components, in it and snap it back together.
Some owners that have had this problem, leave this connector undone while the MH is not in use, so the generator doesn't accidental start and use up most of a tank of fuel.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #6

I've got a '98 Winnebago Vectra with a 7.5 KW Onan diesel generator that did the same thing. In my case it was raining, temperature about 55F so everything was damp. I checked the hour meter and the generator had been running about 1.5 hours. I queried the bulletin boards and got the same replies you are seeing. I don't believe in ghosts and I find it hard to believe a cat will stand on the switch on top of the generator long enough to get the generator started. So I took the connector apart, cleaned it with electronic component spray from Radio Shack and put dielectric grease on the pins and reconnected. No problems since.

Now, when I leave the coach unattended for several days, I disconnect the house batteries. I plan on putting a disconnect switch on the main DC supply to the generator so I can leave the coach plugged in and keep the house batteries charged.

I called both Winnebago and Onan. Winnebago referred me to Onan. Onan says, the control board in the generator may be bad and need to be replaced. It takes about an hour to replace board after the generator is removed. I decided that the disconnect switch would be much cheaper and is on my short list of to do items.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #7

You have gotten the correct answers that the connector in the cable from the generator to the dash needs to be separated, cleaned, coated with di-electric grease, and reconnected. My Onan 7.5KW failed the same as yours, as did the generators of two of my frineds. After cleaning that connector none of us have had any more problems.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #8

Since this is Sunday, I am going over to the coach and perform what "phays" suggested and Norm confirmed. I appreciate all the suggestions. I occurs again will be back on the board.