Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #15

On the commercially produced GenTuri the connections are not water tight and any rain the does get in the stack just drains out the bottom as the adapeters are a larger diameter than the generator exhaust pipe. If the were smaller and fit inside the generator ehaust then you might have more than a rain problem as the system could end up being way too restrictive.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #16

Back in 1970, I installed two propane wall heaters. The exhaust flues were double wall, rectangular and fit between the drywall. I was thinking of making a GenTuri that goes up between my rear ladder and the end cap, or just straight up from my Onan muffler, but I can't find any flue like that. HD and Lowe's has round double wall, but not rectangular. I'll Google it, but I'm afraid it may be against code now.

I added this muffler and can leave my hand on it at idle.

This is what I'm talking about, but it would cost over $100 for 8' of it. Nevermind. :(

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #17

When you build your own, make sure you don't forget a drain hole in the bottom!

Steve
Old 07-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #18

Thx, got that in the back of my mind. I already had an 18" hunk of flex exhaust and the sleeve to go over my muffler tip and into the vertical tube. I'm mostly concerned with getting the noise above the MH, so I'm gonna try some 10' x 2 1/2" PVC I had out back.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #19

I wanna believe what GenTuri says, but I don't see how it can be a lot quieter with an open exhaust sitting there. I'm going to make mine with the stinger up inside the larger tube like Mike did. If it doesn't work, I'm only out my time. I already had all the parts sitting around doing nothing.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would not say it is all that much quieter,, But the quality of the sound is different (lower in tone, not as offensive) and much of the noise is up higher and more "out of the way".

I do know that at 130 feet, many folks can not hear my Onan 5500 watt with the Gen-turi on.. Tested it, open field, surrounded by woods, not much noise other than the generator, I could hear it but I know the exact note to listen for and have trained hearing.. The other people had trained hearing too, just not the note. (By trained I mean a lot of expierence listening to a radio signal burried in noise).
Old 07-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #21

The extra muffler I put on lowered the tone and knocked about 1-2 db off the noise. I don't know if it helps in the sand where I park, but I also put a blanked under my 5500 Onan. It's almost impossoble to get rid of the mechanical noise. If my homemade GenTuri doesn't work, at least people will think I'm trying to be quiet.

I made an adapter so I could run my Yamaha 2000 in my 20' enclosed and vent the exhaust to the trailer intake vent, but it leaked and filled the trailer with exhaust fumes.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #22

I think I'm done building my HomeTuri. Although you can't see it, the first foot of it is .035" thin wall tubing I salvaged from a swing set(the kids I don't have will get over it). I used it because the ID is about 1/4" larger than 2" PVC and is also heat resistant. When I tried 2" PVC, it didn't draw and actually had enough back pressure to pulse some exhaust out of the bottom of the manifold. 3" PVC would probably have been better, but I had some old 2" laying around for a prototype.

I machined out the top coupler on my lathe so the top stack is a slip fit and comes apart for easier storage.

I tried it with the sweep pipe below the stack like a real GenTuri, and it was nosier by about 2db. My main purpose in building this is for less noise.

The suction cup is from a Bottom Line fish finder transponder I had left over from when I tested their prototypes. I machined the separator out of aluminum stock. It's still stuck there after 3 hours.

As far as rain getting in(didn't forget you LSC9901), I don't think there is any way on mine that water could ever get to my Onan. It would probably evaporate or boil off before it even got to my add-on muffler. LSC9901, if you have an exhaust pipe coming down from your generator, I don't think it can get in the engine. Now... if it sat for hours with rain going down the pipe, I would either pull the pipe to drain it or put a hole in the lowest part of the of the pipe and use a hose clamp to cover it. I use 18"s of flex exhaust pipe simply because I had it sitting around waiting for a project.

The temperature and air speed readings were taken after about 15 minutes of generator run time. That's 4 point 5 mph and was taken with a hand held La Crosse anemometer.