Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gen-Turi & Rain

We now have a DIY Gen-Turi system and after setting it all up I'm wondering how everyone deals with rain? Does it still work OK in the rain and are there any accumulation problems in the elbow or the actual Gen exhaust?

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Don't worry about it. Most of what little will actually fall into the stand pipe will either evaporate or simply fall out the bottom. In a torrential downpour you might get a couple drops in the metal pipe, so what? There's no way it will ever get up into the engine.

I'd be more worried about what activities the rain might put a damper on.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do not know about your DIY but I will speak to the genuint article

If you look at it that pipe sticking straigh up looks like it would invite rain into the engine.

But rain generally falls at an angle, With what, 10 feet of pipe, the rain will impact the wall several feet (heck meters) before it gets to the metal pipe at the bottom, then run down the inside of the pipe and rip harmlessley to the ground.

Now if the rain is falling STRAIGHT DOWN.

THEN it might fall into the metal pipe.. but as it goes round the bgend, well there is that pin-hole (Where you put the locking pin) it's not water tight and it will drip off the end of the pin,, that is if you don't loose the pin, in which case it will just drip out the hole.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Get or make a small "flapper valve" like the truckers use on their engines. But then they have a 5-6" dia. pipe and you only have 1-1/2 to 2" dia.
Also, any genturi I've seen (home made or otherwise) had a "jet pump" area at the bend where cold air mixes with the hot AND rain runs out.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is actually a 3 inch diameter pipe. Hopefully the rain won't be an issue but I was just wondering if anyone had encountered any problems and if so what the solutions might be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3167.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	551.7 KB
ID:	22913   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3166.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	22914  

Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
my solution:

Old 06-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To the OP, looking at your JPG's what I'd do is this:

Where the three brackets attach to the sweep elbow, Move them DOWN onto the elbow say 1/2 inch, that way if water runs down inside the big pipe and h its the 3 arms, it's BELOW the top of the sweep. Or you could just jam a very short extension in if that's easier (VERY short, see 1/2 inch above)

Basically, I would not worry much. Looks like you did a good job on the build.

Some info on the genuine-article.

I have used mine several times, On a few occasions running the generator for many many hours (up to 25 stright) and taken the thing off with the genny still running, The black pipe is warm, but not uncomfortable DO NOT TOUCH TE METAL PIPE it will make water go HISS.

A week ago tomorrow I ran the Genny for like an hour or so while I was Wal-marting (Shopping) and when I wen tto take it off it was uncomfortably hot...

NO, not an excessively hot Genny.. Full sun and 90 degrees in the shade.

Some years ago I layed out a long (liek 76') heavy duty (30 amp) extension cord.. We drew, at most 5 amps off it, When I wen tto roll it up it too was too hot to handle, I had to wear gloves..... Till I got to the part that was in the shade, that was cold to the touch.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The distance that I have is basically the same as the $130.00 store bought system. I believe the recommendation was for a 2 inch space to create the venturi effect. I do like the small bend in the pipe at the top of W4MBG's setup but from all I read the pipe itself is far to thin and I'm pretty sure I don't want it up against my MH .... especially if it's gonna get hot and the metal most certainly will ..... according to my research. But that's just me.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I said, the Original article gets up to "Warm but not uncomfortable" less exposed to very strong sun, then even without the generator it gets uncomfortable..

I'd just raise the sweep a fraction of an inch is all.

Or, on the 3 arms you could cut a bit of a sprial pattern to encourage water to run DOWN. and out.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The larger pipe can actually overlap the smaller one - you still get the venturi effect as long as the bottom is open to let cooler air enter at the bottom as the hot exhaust rises.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The larger pipe can actually overlap the smaller one - you still get the venturi effect as long as the bottom is open to let cooler air enter at the bottom as the hot exhaust rises.
With the one I made I had to overlap to get a good draw (6in)
It stopped the exhaust blow by on windy days and forced the noise up the tube never gets hotter than I can touch also water in the gasses condenses inside the tube and drips.
ischua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
the first test of mine was on a windy day, so i ran the sweep into the downspout an inch or so. no exhaust blowing sideways out of the gap, and small pieces of paper or leaves shot right up the tube. nice strong venturi effect. i do plan to change the mounting method on the side of the rv a bit to hold the downspout away from the fiberglass a bit more. also considering adding an outer sleeve of larger downspout to keep the outside temps down some.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As to holding the big pipe away from the fiberglass.. If you can slip your hand between them, far enough. As I said, the only time mine has gotten hot enough to be uncomfortable it was the heat of the SUN, not the Generator that made it that way .

Because yours is white not black like mine it might run hotter (or not, more likely hotter but only by a small amount) but it should reject sun heat better.

(The hotter the pipe the faster the air flows within, so it self adjusts that way)
Old 06-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
right now the pipe is right against the fiberglass. i plan to change the suction cup mounting arrangement and that will give me a couple of inches of clearance.