Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Gen-Turi Clamps??

Hi All,

Hubby is outside playing with the new Genturi System. He told me that he feels that some of the "pieces"...clamps, connector pieces, etc should be attached tightly and left on the generator exhaust pipe, even while we are in motion. Of course he will not leave the curved pipe and straight up stacks attached when we are in motion...but my question is...Should he permanently attach any of the parts to the exhaust pipe?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #2

Except for possible issues of rattle, the connection between the genny exhaust pipe and the genturi adaptor should not have to be clamped tight. A slight exhaust leak in this system is less likely because of the positive pressure created by the venturi effect of the stack gap.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Once I figured out the appropriate connector, I left that connected and just connected the Genturi when parked. No problem using it that way.
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrooking View Post
Once I figured out the appropriate connector, I left that connected and just connected the Genturi when parked. No problem using it that way.

+1

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I made my own Genturi. The connector I used with Thumb Screws to the exhaust pipe and makes it easy to remove and reinstall all the components for travel. One would want to make sure they are cool before loosening.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I put the correct adapter on added "red" LocTight to the nuts on the clamps and forgot about it.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #7

Yes, there is an "adapter" piece that is supposed to be permanently installed on the generator exhaust pipe to facilitate quick connection and disconnection of the Genturi piping.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you camp in some areas the law requires you to have a functioning spark arrester on the end of your exhaust pipe. BLM land in the Quartzsite area comes to mind.
I put a chrome turn down end on mine and keep the spark arrester in the Gen-Turi bag so I know where it is when I need it. The Gen-Turi end piece is easy to put on and take off anyway.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If he is saying what *I* think he is saying he is 100% correct

The good folks at Camco do not know exctly what size "tail pipe" (the pipe after the muffler/spark arrester) you have so they have included a number of adapters.. The final adapter is a short piece of sweged pipe with a pair of holes drilled crosswise through it (two holes 180 degrees apart) for the locking pin.

Whatever it takes to clamp this pipe to your generator tail pipe remains on the pipe. you don't take it off.. When you remove the Gen-turi to stow it you pull the pin and pull the sweep elbow out of the adapter, but the adapter and any size adapters remain on the generator exhaust tail pipe.

At least.. that is what the instructions said.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If he is saying what *I* think he is saying he is 100% correct

The good folks at Camco do not know exctly what size "tail pipe" (the pipe after the muffler/spark arrester) you have so they have included a number of adapters.. The final adapter is a short piece of sweged pipe with a pair of holes drilled crosswise through it (two holes 180 degrees apart) for the locking pin.

Whatever it takes to clamp this pipe to your generator tail pipe remains on the pipe. you don't take it off.. When you remove the Gen-turi to stow it you pull the pin and pull the sweep elbow out of the adapter, but the adapter and any size adapters remain on the generator exhaust tail pipe.

At least.. that is what the instructions said.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:10 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As others stated, there is a connector that is supposed to stay on the generator exhaust pipe. I thought it looked terrible and found a chrome pipe that fit over the connector. I cut a slot in the chrome pipe so that it turned and locked onto the Genturi connector.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, as for the looks.. I think the adapter (the socket the Genturi fits into) on the end of the exhaust looks a whole lot better than the cornor's wagon parked in front of the RV so..

yes, you could get a chrome tip, I'd get one that just slips over and drill it with holes matching the holes in the adapter. As I recall the Genturi-fits INSIDE the adapter so you could even clamp it down.. This.. would greatly improve the looks (Slice it to slide over the Gen-turi's adapter clamps. Since you would need to belly or turtle crawl to find the slots itwould even look very good)