Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gen-Turi Exhaust System

I saw this advertised in several places. We will be doing some tailgating next year and looks like a good idea.

Does anyone have one and is it worth the $$?

ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm4 View Post
I saw this advertised in several places. We will be doing some tailgating next year and looks like a good idea.

Does anyone have one and is it worth the $$?
We have one and use it every year. It was on sale at Camping world when we bought ours. At that time (2006) I thought the price was OK as I didn't have the time to build my own. Some RV'ers have built their own for less $$.

SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use one when dry camping next to other MH's. It works great in my opinion.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #4

Following is a quote from Onan:

Exhaust extension kits do not meet reasonable standards for safely

Cummins Power Generation, manufacturer of Cummins Onan generator products, does not endorse the use of RV generator exhaust pipe extensions. Like all fuel burning devices, engine-driven generators emit carbon monoxide (CO) which, if not safely handled, can produce serious injury or death. Cummins Onan generators, in conjunction with RV OEM installed tailpipes, are designed to meet RVIA standards for safely handling exhaust gasses while minimizing noise and maximizing generator performance. Improper modifications to the exhaust components can result in unreasonable hazards to the vehicle occupants.
Cummins Power Generation has been unable to this date to identify any commercially available exhaust extension kit which meets reasonable standards for safely handling exhaust gases.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use one when dry camping, it takes some of the noise over the top of the coach instead of underneath so it is a little quieter for us and the neighbors.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I read what Joe T posted. It has been in Cummins documentation for quite some time. I have yet to determine what it means. When reading a manufacturers statement, one needs to determine how valid (not truthful or legal) the statement is. What does "safely handling exhaust gases" mean. The device in question is an addition to an approved exhaust system, not an "instead of" the approved exhaust system. Has Cummins actually tested any devices to direct exhaust and noise above the coach? Why would Cummins ever identify any after market device? What advantage would there be to Cummins?

The statement basically attempts to relieve Cummins of any and all liability if an owner uses an aftermarket device. If I were Cummins I would make the same statement. Once said, nobody can come back and say Cummins did not say we could not do this.

I have one of these devices and it works as advertised. There is one heck of a lot of exhaust coming out the top of the exhaust pipe. It also results in less noise at ground level.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe I read somewhere there is a difference in an "exhaust pipe extension" and the Gen-Turi system. Something to do with the fact the Gen-Turi is not a full length extension as it is open for a short section. What I remember reading is the the generator exhaust pipe should not be extended with a long piece of solid pipe which would severely restrict the exhaust.

I have looked for what I read and can't seem to find it. I will continue my search.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #8

Not only do they (Genturi) work as advertised, but you will find that they are required at many rallys and other places where units are parked close together. They are not "extensions", but are quite similar to what they call "augmenters" on some aircraft.

You can verify proper operation by releasing a small piece of paper into the "intake", and watch it come out the top.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
As I see it, the benefit of a venturi exhaust pipe is not only or specifically "less noise". It is the release of ehaust gasses above the coach, where the wind can disperse it. If the exhaust gasses, or carbon monoxide are allowed to stay around the ground and under the coach, there is the possibility of Carbon Monoxide (CO), getting into the coach and we all know what that means.

As an example, one night, I was in my boat, tied to a dock, in Biscayne Bay, in the Miami area. It was in the summer and quite warm, so we ran the generator and A/C, while we were asleep. When we went to bed, there was a good breeze blowing, taking the generator exhaust away from the boat. Sometime during the night, the breeze died and it was very calm. We had a CO alarm in the cabin and heard it go off, just like a smoke alarm. When I went outside and saw how still it was, I knew why the alarm went off. The generator exhaust was wafting, into the boat! I immediatly untied us from the dock and moved out, into the bay, where the wind was blowing. Long story short, I really believe the CO alarm saved our lives that night. I have used my venturi a couple of times, while running the generator on my RV and feel much safer, when it is attached. ESPECIALLY, IF I AM ASLEEP! I'm also glad that I have a CO detector in my RV.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Park next to someone at a Rally without a Gen-Turi and the generator exhaust aimed at your front door. You will soon wish that everyone had a Gen-Turi.

Just my humble opinion.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #11

I made my own and would not go without it for any extended time.
BOB
Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Gen-Turi is well worth the money if you ever park in a rally environment where you are apt to use a generator. It raises the exhaust smell above the roof line and also moves some of the noise up. It works! It stays pretty cool so you don't have to worry about getting burned either. Some people make their own and it seems to work for them but I would recommend that you copy the Gen-Turi design in pipe size, etc. Your neighbors will love you if you use one of these extensions. and hate you if you don't. :(
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gen Turi works great for us.

We had trouble with our carbon monoxide monitor going off when we ran the generator if the wind happened to be blowing the wrong direction, or the side of the motor home was too close to the bushes to let the exhaust escape into the atmosphere.

We used it this year on our summer vacation while dry camping, and our last day a Disney World while the MH was parked at Epcot with our two cats and our grand dog inside.

Works great, no more carbon monoxide alarms. We got ours from Amazon, a little cheaper than Camping World.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am going to pull the trigger on the set up. I also found them a couple bucks cheaper on Amazon plus free shipping.

Thanks for the advice !

ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote