Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your voltage should not be that low. It will damage the electric motors whenrun on low voltage. On that vintage trailer, I doubt if they can run much below 107 volts.

I think you need to get it to a shop and get it checked out.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
30 amp plug??? Iam not trying to run 2 a/c's on shore power, I know that doesnt work but as I said they should both run on the generator. And there is my problem with 2 a/c's turned on they should both run while on gen. (at least the owners manual says so)but the voltage drops below 100volts as soon as you switch the 2nd one on..So far I have tried all your suggestions and still no luck. I figure maybe 5000 watts is not enough. We are at the 5000 ft level and that may be why..Gas engines loose so much power as the altitude increases, In fact that may be the problem come to think of it..Any input on that one ? Any hoo thanks for that list of power consumption appliances.. Anybody else have a high altitude problem like this?
I know your not plugged into shore power !

how is your camper plugged in to gennie ?>
with your cable from your camper >?
what plug is it plugged into on gennie
you should have a 15 amp outlets and possibly a 30

your gennie isn't big enough

f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
As stated already, your gen should have 2 breakers on it. Most mfg wire the 20amp side to the rear AC. The 30amp side to the rest of the coach and front AC. This why your manual says you can run both with the gen.

So far, everything you've described tells me both ACs are running off the gens 30amp circuit. At least it appears that way.

I would run this test. Start the gen, start the rear AC. Then trip the 20amp breaker, it may be a 15amp. If that shuts down the rear AC, that part is wired correctly. If it doesn't shut down, you have found the problem.

For completness, you may want to run this test on the front AC using both breakers, just in case someone has really crossed things up.

If this is not your problem, I would next look to a bad transfer switch. It's possible the contacts are partially burnt not allowing a good contact.

Failing that, I would run as much carb/injecter cleaner through the gen as I could while its running for at least an hour. I doubt the 5000ft has anything to do with it. But if the gen has that adjustment, set it.

All other suggestions sound reasonable to me. Failing everything, its probably time for Pro help. Good luck and keep us posted.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Your voltage should not be that low. It will damage the electric motors whenrun on low voltage. On that vintage trailer, I doubt if they can run much below 107 volts.

I think you need to get it to a shop and get it checked out.

Ken
I think so too..
Thanks
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
As stated already, your gen should have 2 breakers on it. Most mfg wire the 20amp side to the rear AC. The 30amp side to the rest of the coach and front AC. This why your manual says you can run both with the gen.

So far, everything you've described tells me both ACs are running off the gens 30amp circuit. At least it appears that way.

I would run this test. Start the gen, start the rear AC. Then trip the 20amp breaker, it may be a 15amp. If that shuts down the rear AC, that part is wired correctly. If it doesn't shut down, you have found the problem.

For completness, you may want to run this test on the front AC using both breakers, just in case someone has really crossed things up.

If this is not your problem, I would next look to a bad transfer switch. It's possible the contacts are partially burnt not allowing a good contact.

Failing that, I would run as much carb/injecter cleaner through the gen as I could while its running for at least an hour. I doubt the 5000ft has anything to do with it. But if the gen has that adjustment, set it.

All other suggestions sound reasonable to me. Failing everything, its probably time for Pro help. Good luck and keep us posted.
When I run the rear I can flip the 20 amp switch and the rear a/c keeps on running. Dont know what that 20 amp switch is for. It appears the 30 amp switch controls both a/c's
Old 03-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax
When I run the rear I can flip the 20 amp switch and the rear a/c keeps on running. Dont know what that 20 amp switch is for. It appears the 30 amp switch controls both a/c's
There in lies your problem.

Generators with 5000+ watts, have 2 generating circuits. The 20amp is for the rear AC exclusively. The 30amp for everything else. For some reason, somebody has changed the way it's supposed to be wired. Could have been a screwup at the factory or a previous owner did something.

Perhaps the 20amp circuit quit working and rather than repair the gen, someone wired the rear AC to the 30 amp circuit. It's hard to say and will take someone qualified to sort it out.

Bottom line, if you want to run both ACs at the same time, you need to correct this problem.
clyon51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
There in lies your problem.

Generators with 5000+ watts, have 2 generating circuits. The 20amp is for the rear AC exclusively. The 30amp for everything else. For some reason, somebody has changed the way it's supposed to be wired. Could have been a screwup at the factory or a previous owner did something.

Perhaps the 20amp circuit quit working and rather than repair the gen, someone wired the rear AC to the 30 amp circuit. It's hard to say and will take someone qualified to sort it out.

Bottom line, if you want to run both ACs at the same time, you need to correct this problem.
I think your right I will look into this and see what happens
Thanks
Don
Old 06-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #36

i had the same problem with my 5500 in a windsport i had and i tried it all ,untill i went to a onan dealer , it would start fine run fine up untill i clicked the second ac on ,then it would just bog down untill it stopped , all this was caused by a valve that was not set correct he set both valves to spec and walla we ran every thing on the first try and it never again did it,so i hope this help's also i had changed Carb and ran seafoam did it all, but just 1 valve was out
Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My old MH had 30 amps and 2 AC's. I could run them both at the same time, sort of. It also had a progressive Dynamics energy management controller for the AC's. Only one AC compressor would come on at a time, but both fans would run. It had a shed light that would blink. It would switch back and forth between the AC's compressors every few minutes. It worked great.

Does your MH have an energy management center? It may be bad.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote