Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #15

If the generator max speed on the governor is properly set (and stuff like that can move around a bit over time) then I'd bet the problem is the start capacitor in the second generator.

There are kits you can buy to make it easier on the generator. You also need to ensure that once both ACs are on, they can't cycle at the same time (there are kits for that too). If the temps are set close, eventually when the front and back of the coach equalize the ACs will cycle simultaneously and you'll probably trip a breaker.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
If the generator max speed on the governor is properly set (and stuff like that can move around a bit over time) then I'd bet the problem is the start capacitor in the second generator.
I believe you meant second A/C

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
What else are you trying to run on electricity when attempting to run the 2 A/Cs? The water heater? Refrigerator? Coffee pot? Hair dryer? Microwave? Any of these are current hogs and, especially if several are in use, could affect the ability of your generator to handle the 2nd A/C unit.

Rusty
Nothing just the air cond. I will try and start one and then the other and visa versa. Maybe one of them does have a defective starting cap.
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are going to operate much on the generator, I would get a hard start capacitor on both A/C units.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermilye View Post
If all the wiring isn't original, you might check that each AC is on separate breakers - Most 5500 Watt generators have a 30 amp & 20 amp breaker; if both ACs ended up on the same generator output that would cause your problem. Try shutting off the breakers at the generator one at a time to check...
Hmmm sounds like a reasonable idea I'll try that. I have a hard time believing the previous owner took good care of the generator. He took outstanding care of the coach but the gen. wouldnet run very well and after you shut it down you couldnt get a re start. Reason ? Plugs were set at .40 in. instead of .25 I reset plugs and its been running fine every time since. It will handle1a/c plus all of the other 110 v tasks running at one time. Its just the 2 a/c I have an issue with..Keep the posts coming as Iam getting a lot of good ideas from you guys..I'll try any and all suggestions.
Thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have verified that either generator starts easily by itself then that would indicate that the starting capacitors are OK. If not, deal with that first.

Next, I would try adjusting the power jet on the carburetor. Most small engines have an adjustable power jet screw. It controls how much fuel is passed while the engine is under load. If you have easy access to the carburetor, you should see a small thumbscrew protruding from the bottom of the carburetor. Back it out one-half turn and see if that helps. Make sure the generator engine is warmed up fully before making any adjustments. Best of luck!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #21
JKQ

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
My owners manual says my 5000 watt Koehler gen. will operate my 2 a/c's When I put the second A/C online the voltage goes from 120 V to less than 100 V.I have a 30 amp system and I know you cant run 2 a/c's on shore power but your supposed to be able to when on Generator. Obviously you cant. The genny runs perfect and put out 120 V with one a/c but start the other and it drags it way down.. Any suggestions ?
It would seem to me that a 30AMP system would be overloaded trying push all that current through it. Every RV I've even seen with two roof air conditions has always had 50 AMP service. I'm also surprised that your 30 AMP service did not through the main breaker with both air's running!
JKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
I would double check if you can run both a/c units. I don't think my 5500 Onan will run both of my a/c units (15000 & 13500). I just run the a/c unit I need at that time.
Good suggestion. I don't think 5k will handle both at once...plus the other electrical draw...refrig, hot water heater, lights, charger, etc
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320

Good suggestion. I don't think 5k will handle both at once...plus the other electrical draw...refrig, hot water heater, lights, charger, etc
Mine will handle both and have plenty to spare. My two a/c 's are energy efficient and only draw 8 amps each.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #24

roof top ac 15 to 16 amps each ........ 30 amp plug you do the math !
read this !normal appliance amp draws
Wattage % Volts = Amps
Amps X Volts = Wattage

One other thing to keep in mind is many RV appliances require more amps to start the appliance than they do to run the appliance. A roof air conditioner can draw 16 amps to start, but may only use 13 amps once it is running.

120 Volt AC Amp Ratings
Appliance or Electronic Equipment Estimated Amps
Air Conditioner (X number of A/C) 12-16 Amps
Blender 5-6 Amps
Coffee Maker 5-8 Amps
Compact Disc Player 1 Amp
Computer (Laptop) 2-3 Amps
Converter 1-8 Amps
Crock Pot 1-2 Amps
Curling Iron <1 Amp
Drill 2-6 Amps
Electric Blanket 0.5-1.5 Amps
Electric Fan 1 Amp
Electric Water Heater 9-13 Amps
Electric Skillet 6-12 Amps
Hair Dryer 5-12 Amps
Iron 5-10 Amps
Light (60 watt % 120V) <1 Amp
Microwave 8-13 Amps
Microwave (Convection Oven) 13 Amps
Refrigerator in AC mode 5-8 Amps
Space Heater 8-13 Amps
Television 1.5-4 Amps
Toaster 7-10 Amps
Vacuum (handheld) 2-6 Amps
VCR 1-2 Amps
Washer/Dryer 14-16Amps

12 Volt DC Amp Ratings
Appliance or Accessory Estimated Amps
Aisle Light 1 Amp
CO Detector 1 Amp
Fluorescent Light 1-2 Amps
Furnace 10-12 Amps
LP Gas Leak Detector 1 Amp
Overhead lights (Per Bulb) 1 Amp
Porch Light 1 Amp
Power Roof Vent 1.5 Amps
Radio/Stereo 4 Amps
Range Hood (Fan & Light) 2-3 Amps
Refrigerator (LP Gas Mode) 1.5- 2 Amps
Security System 1 Amp
Television (12 volt) 4-5 Amps
TV Antenna Booster <1 Amp
TV Antenna Booster 12 Volt outlet Up to 8 Amps
Variable Speed Ceiling / Vent Fan 4 Amps
VCR Recorder / Player 2 Amps
Water Pump 4 Amp
f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #25

30 amp plug??? Iam not trying to run 2 a/c's on shore power, I know that doesnt work but as I said they should both run on the generator. And there is my problem with 2 a/c's turned on they should both run while on gen. (at least the owners manual says so)but the voltage drops below 100volts as soon as you switch the 2nd one on..So far I have tried all your suggestions and still no luck. I figure maybe 5000 watts is not enough. We are at the 5000 ft level and that may be why..Gas engines loose so much power as the altitude increases, In fact that may be the problem come to think of it..Any input on that one ? Any hoo thanks for that list of power consumption appliances.. Anybody else have a high altitude problem like this?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #26

Even if both compressors start at exactly the same peak moment they shouldn't draw more than 4800 watts. My rear a/c in my old gasser ran off a 20 amp breaker so I know it didn't draw more than 20 amps. In reality startup of both at the same time shouldn't be more than probably 32 amps or roughly 3,800 watts so even altitude doesn't explain it for you...

What do your plugs look like? Somewhere I don't think you're getting full power -- meaning that as load climbs you are falling behind slightly in rpm -- hence the voltage drop.

Steve
Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #27

Install the Hard Start Kit(s). They just plug in on the orginal capacitor. We found that a 13500 A/C would not start on a Honda 3000 Watt invertor type generator but once the kit was installed the problem was solved.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
Install the Hard Start Kit(s). They just plug in on the orginal capacitor. We found that a 13500 A/C would not start on a Honda 3000 Watt invertor type generator but once the kit was installed the problem was solved.
Ive got those ordered.. But I really dont have a hard time firing them up they do start and run ok its just the voltage that worries me, It reads 98-100 v with both going. And the gen. really labors. I would imagine with that low of voltage the a/c's could burn up..........Couldnt they ?