Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #1

I have a 2002 National TRadewind 370 on a sparton chasis.

The Generac LP generator has been nothing but problems. I have spent over 5K in repairs and still have a poor unit. I am going to replace it. This unit is a 6.6kw designed to run two roof air units.

After talking with Generac, they are suggesting I use the new quietpac 7500 (7.5KW).Does anyone have experience with this new quietpac system?

I am wondeing what other people have used when swapping out their LP fueled generators. I also am wondering if a 7.5KW is compatable with the other components of the electrical system? Is there a concern about over powering the electrical system which was designed for a 6.6KW.

I likle the LP system and have a 60 dallon LP tank installed in the motorhome. It is a little more effieient than deisel,but it is a little more expensive initially.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Happy RVing!

Junior

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #2

I have a 2002 National TRadewind 370 on a sparton chasis.

The Generac LP generator has been nothing but problems. I have spent over 5K in repairs and still have a poor unit. I am going to replace it. This unit is a 6.6kw designed to run two roof air units.

After talking with Generac, they are suggesting I use the new quietpac 7500 (7.5KW).Does anyone have experience with this new quietpac system?

I am wondeing what other people have used when swapping out their LP fueled generators. I also am wondering if a 7.5KW is compatable with the other components of the electrical system? Is there a concern about over powering the electrical system which was designed for a 6.6KW.

I likle the LP system and have a 60 dallon LP tank installed in the motorhome. It is a little more effieient than deisel,but it is a little more expensive initially.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Happy RVing!

Junior

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would check the spec's for wiring to your transfer switch for size of wiring from old Gen if its the same size for load from new Gen you should be ok with higher voltage output of new GEN.
Good luck many trouble free HOURS.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #4

I know you meant to say extra wattage instead of voltage,(007),as far as the exsisting wiring you are fine,but you will have to change the main breaker on the new genset to the same amperage as the old one, unless the manufacture has oversized the transfer switch and/or the wire size for the old unit. The bigger unit will keep the voltage more stable with the two a/c units.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:08 AM   #5

Check out this link. Steve knows what he is talking about.

Generator Replacement

1997 Damon Challenger
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #6

Thanks Guys, I appreciate your response. I have decided to go with the Generac Guardian 7.5KW.LP
Steve's installaTION WAS NEAT! BUT HE SURE WAS TOUGH ON HIS BRIDE! THanks all, I'll let you know how I make the conversion