Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #1

Generac NP-66G A/C stalling

Just to let you know, I'm a brand new member. I have a 1996 Damon Intruder with a Generac NP-66G with about 650 hours on it. The coach has dual A/C: a 13500 BTU in the front and a 11000 BTU in the back... I think. The generator will start the front A/C and will match the load. But if I try to start the back A/C; the generator will almost stall, but come back up to RPM. It will run both A/C's for a minute, but the generator keeps dropping off, like it wants to stall and then coming back up. I end up turning the rear A/C off, because the power dropping obviously isn't good for the compressors. I have everything else off in the coach. The lights, the fridge, everything. That generator should be able to power that whole coach, let alone 2 A/C's. The generator hasn't had any maintenance, other than an oil change now and again. No plugs, no nothing. Is lack of maintenance the problem? If I do the basic maintenance: change the plugs, air filter, oil; will that cure it? Or do I need to take it in and get it looked at? I need to get it fixed, was hotter than hell over the weekend, and I couldn't turn both the A/C's on. That REALLY pisses me off. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

E
eabale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #2

Lack of maintenance can kill just about any machine. I would definately be giving it a full tune up before spending $$$ at a shop; because that probably the first thing they would do.
RPM, flare up/down most likely fuel or air supply. Check fuel supply lines for kinks, as well as the fuel filter. Carb over haul would be the last resort.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #3

I have the same generator. I had a problem where the wires crossed on the breakers on the generator and melted together. I was then using only one breaker -30amps. Check the wires and make sure all looks well.

Also the manual does a good job about adjusting the propane flow to get the right hertz and output. Try that.

Change the spark plug. I went to 1 step hotter than recommended because I was getting some backfiring and propane smell like all the fuel wasn't get burned.

Check your oil - if it is low the generator will shut off.
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #4

do you have a panel that shows you line voltage and hertz? I have a EMS from progressive and I have a display that show both lines. That way I can tell what the generator is putting out.
If you do check to see what you are getting.
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #5

No I don't have the EMS panel. I should get something like that to show what the generator is putting out.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #6

The fuel line was actually leaking over the weekend. The generator would start, then shut off right away. The rubber hose right before the carb had rotted. It stopped leaking after I changed it. I thought maybe that was the problem, that it was still leaking fuel, but I didn't see it dripping.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #7

The interesting thing is: I went out this morning, fired it up, and I would hold both A/C's. It still wants to stall when you quickly put a heavy load on it. It was so f**king hot out at Ocotillo Wells; I'm sure that was another factor. It's in the 60's outside right now, and the generator isn't really warmed up. Thank you all for your responses. Anymore insight is great. THANKS.