Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
General jack problems

If we have HWH jacks or something like them we most likely experience slow jack stowing at some time. We replace springs or shuttle valves, solenoids or other components but end up still having show rising jacks. We wash them with WD-40 as recommended by the manufacture, to no avail. We spray them with silicone against the manufactures recommendations and they might work better for a time or two, but must be maintained on a regular bases.

I have another thread about CRC Power Lube. It seems to have petered out. This stuff with the Teflon in it (PTFE) has saved my day. I can now freely recommend it and with great confidence. My jacks are now stowing in under 2 minutes no mater the temperature.

I would like to hear from others. I hope my experience is not just a fluke.

Happy trails all,
Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
If we have HWH jacks or something like them we most likely experience slow jack stowing at some time. We replace springs or shuttle valves, solenoids or other components but end up still having show rising jacks. We wash them with WD-40 as recommended by the manufacture, to no avail. We spray them with silicone against the manufactures recommendations and they might work better for a time or two, but must be maintained on a regular bases.

I have another thread about CRC Power Lube. It seems to have petered out. This stuff with the Teflon in it (PTFE) has saved my day. I can now freely recommend it and with great confidence. My jacks are now stowing in under 2 minutes no mater the temperature.
I would like to hear from others. I hope my experience is not just a fluke.
Rick
Not taking issue with your enthusiastic recommendation of Teflon spray, but just where have you seen/heard of any jack manufacturer recommending to "wash them with WD40" or it is "against manufacturers recommendations to spray them with silicone"? Me thinks you may have that one backwards.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #3

I don't remember the wording as to "wash them", but HWH manual says to spray the jack with WD40. Then use a clean rag. http://www.hwh.com/ml47149.pdf
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
Not taking issue with your enthusiastic recommendation of Teflon spray, but just where have you seen/heard of any jack manufacturer recommending to "wash them with WD40" or it is "against manufacturers recommendations to spray them with silicone"? Me thinks you may have that one backwards.
Please read the HWH site information. On my last coach I was having a real hard time with the jacks. I went on the HWH site and found this info. It has been many years so I don't have the direct link. There is a lot of information for you there. I do recall that silicone was an issue. If I remember correctly, they claim that it builds up on the jacks and collects dust that hinders the jack retraction. WD-40 or a mild soap and water used with a soft cloth is what they recommend. They even caution against scratching the ram. This is all from memory but has been confirmed in other threads.

I was very hesitant about using the CRC at first. But it worked and is working so well on the slide racks and gears, awning, door hinges and even the hitch rust, I decided to try it on the jacks. It was a gamble, I know. But it worked far beyond my expectations.

We are constantly challenged, as RVers in general, with jack problems. I see no good reason not to share my good discovery with the rest of the community.

We bought our coach in May. The jacks were unpredictable when stowing. I have been searching for years for a product that would be safe as a lubricant. I learned the hard way that silicone was not the answer. I used the CRC product on everything that moved on my coach with great results. After a month or so I bit the bullet and washed the jacks with WD-40 and then with the CRC. About a month later I cleaned them lightly again and reapplied the CRC. There was no real need to. I just wanted to.

It has been about 2 months now since I did my last application of CRC. In 20's temps my jacks are all up in less than 2 minutes. And this success is consistent.

If we were near each other I would treat your jacks for no charge. I like to share my success with others. I have done this for a guy I volunteer with. His coach is brand new and the jacks are giving him trouble. He has not moved them yet but will soon. I'll let you know the results.

But, back to your original questions. Please check the HWH website. If I am wrong I have not problem being set straight. In fact I would rather be correct than continue giving wrong information.

Rick
Old 02-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Glad this is working for you. It is always best to follow the manufacturer's recommended guidelines for maintenance, so each of us should check the user manual for our particular brand of levelers. (Ours are Power Gear so I don't know about HWH.)

I'm thinking that 2 minutes sounds like a long time for jacks to stow, but I've never actually timed it. Ours stow pretty quickly it seems.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #6

I am not a fan of WD40 either as I consider it a dust magnet, but much to my surprise, I did find on the HWH website that they do recommend spraying the jacks with WD40, so that's what I do now. I had previously used silicone spray which I discontinued after reading HWH's recommendations as I fear it might have a negative effect on the seals.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Please read the HWH site information. On my last coach I was having a real hard time with the jacks. I went on the HWH site and found this info. yada,yada,yada........
Your original post stated that "if you have hwh jacks or something like them...."

.... I guess I have the "something like them brand". I have Power Gear.

Power Gear specifically says to clean their chrome shafts with the same ATF that the system is filled with, and then wipe them down with Silicone fluid.

Like I said earlier, I have no bone to pick with your choice of fluid, I just took issue with your statement that manufacturers recommend against silicone. It appears that some do and some don't.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
Your original post stated that "if you have hwh jacks or something like them...."

.... I guess I have the "something like them brand". I have Power Gear.

Power Gear specifically says to clean their chrome shafts with the same ATF that the system is filled with, and then wipe them down with Silicone fluid.

Like I said earlier, I have no bone to pick with your choice of fluid, I just took issue with your statement that manufacturers recommend against silicone. It appears that some do and some don't.

" or something like them" refers to hydraulic jacks. I couldn't find the correct spelling in spell-check.

What I am trying to convey is that each manufacture has their own recommendation about caring for the jacks. Often the from one is the yes for another. The rams and seals for hydraulic jacks are all about the same, and function the same way. What fluid is used depends upon the manufacture and that is essential to follow correctly. Internal seals, valves, clearances of moving parts, etc determine what the engineers recommend.

One poster says WD-40 is a dust magnet. It drys completely and most people who use it don't consider it a good permanent lubricant. I think dirt and dust collect on the jack rams after WD-40 treatment is because they are too clean. Just my opinion. And then it sticks like dirt on a clean window.

Another poster says ATF is to be used on the rams. That leaves a very slight wet film, in my opinion, that will collect dust and dirt that won't fall off easily.

Silicon spray is both recommended and rejected, depending on the manufacture. You tell me why? I have no idea except from personal experience with HWH. The use of silicone slows the retraction of the jacks down and over time prevents them from completing the stow function and have to be manually stowed. TOTAL PAIN!

This is my third coach with HWH jacks. With each I have used the HWH recommendations for cleaning and not using any lube. The results have been mixed. As I have previously explained, I tried the CRC product because I did have so much success with other problem areas on the coach.

The PTFE in the CRC seems to be inert. It harms nothing that I can see and drys completely. I don't see the severe dirt buildup after rain as I have in the past and what is there falls off easily at the seal as the jacks retract.

To the poster who finds that less than two minutes to stow my jacks long? I am truly happy for you to have such great equipment. None of my posts are aimed at those who don't have trouble stowing their jacks. I am only speaking to those who are frustrated with this process. If it hasn't happened to you how can you criticize my comments? In truth you have no functioning knowledge of what I am talking about. Don't get me wrong here. Your input is welcomed, just not your rejection of what I have learned from personal experiences over many years. My comments are formed from this experience. Where do your comments come from? I truly mean no disrespect to you. I am simply defending my position.

I wish all happy trails and through this forum I am joining in with like minded folks like you to encourage this truism.

Rick
Old 02-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #9

Just for a twist, I prefer Moly!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #10

I don't think you'll find a permanent solution to this. From what I've read on HWH's site, they consider anything under 7 minutes to retract normal. Personally, I use Break Free CLP (cleaner lubricant preservative) on my jacks. Spray on, wipe off. I notice a significant reduction in retraction time. Note: Break Free is used by the Military as a gun cleaner, (that's how I first found it) Another teflon based product.
Richardk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:35 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
Just for a twist, I prefer Moly!

Ed
Good for you Ed. If it works stick with it.

My jacks have been sitting in the cold for a couple of weeks. When I stowed them yesterday, to move to a pull through site so I could be hooked up to travel today, the front fight jack went up slower than I wanted. It is too cold and windy to look at. It retracted in a reasonable time, just not as fast as I had been experiencing.

As stated by another poster in this thread, there is no perfect solution. Just some are better than others.

I don't understand all the controversy I have created on the subject. I was simply curious if others had tried the CRC product. I definitely hit a nerve.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
As stated by another poster in this thread, there is no perfect solution. Just some are better than others.

I don't understand all the controversy I have created on the subject. I was simply curious if others had tried the CRC product. I definitely hit a nerve.
It's kind of like asking five mechanics how to do something, you'll probably get five different answers.

IMHO, as long as a cleaning fluid doesn't promote corrosion or does not deteriorate jack wipers and seals, use what you think works best. As far using a safe lubricant for the jack's strut or ram, while conditioning the internal seals, I would think you could not go wrong with a thin coating of the working fluid the jacks have been designed to operate on.

A CLEAN strut is a happy strut.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AH CRC (Chemical Rubber Company) A great outfit, they also publish a book which I used to have a copy of (Get it at any college book store).

Yes, that is good stuff.. There are several "Dry" lubricants and PTFE lubs out there, Most of 'em are very good.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
There was no controversy.

You stated that Manufacturers recommend washing the jacks with WD-40.
I simply pointed out that some do, and some don't.

You stated that Manufacturers recommend against silicone, and again....
I simply pointed out that some do, and some don't.

Use what works for you.

I've got 17 year old Power Gear levelers that have never been cleaned or lubed by anything but the same ATF that is used in the system. They retract in less than 2 minutes. That works for me.