Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

Generator

About how much fuel per hour does a generator burn? Seems my TV and satellite system in the MH I just buoght won't turn on and run unless plugged into shore power or with the Gen on. So I'm curious as to how much fuel a Onan 4000 burns per hour traveling down the road.

Any help would be appreciated

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #2

.5 to .7 gal / hr depending on load.

Probably be better to run them off your Inverter, than use the genny to charge the batteries when they drain some.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #3

Best option is to turn off the tv and enjoy the scenery.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by imorton View Post
.5 to .7 gal / hr depending on load.

Probably be better to run them off your Inverter, than use the genny to charge the batteries when they drain some.
Not sure it has an inverter or maybe I don't know what you mean. Tonight as I was putting some things away and had no shore power hooked up and Gen off, lights etc were running on house batteries. Went to turn on TV and Satellite and they wouldn't come on. I turned on the Gen and then they came on. Where would the inverter be if there was one? They explained pretty much everything on the MH when I took delivery today but never mentioned an inverter.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #5

I suggest you add your mh info...make, year, running gear, model number, etc to your signature. We can then offer better information for your questions.

An Inverter takes 12v from your house batteries and changes it to 120v for your TV, etc. Your converter takes 120v from your generator and reduces it to 12v which charges your house (and sometimes) engine batteries.

Different makes have different setups...but this is basically how they work. Located in your storage bays you will see square aluminum boxes with fins. They are not normally in the same bay....read the labels....fun stuff.

You may not know, but the fuel line to your gererator is tapped in above the empty tank level so the gen quits before it drains your tank.
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
A CONVERTER changes 120 v AC to 12 v DC and (usually) has circuitry to charge batteries when plugged in to shore power. an INVERTER changes 12 v DC to 120 v AC and can be used to power small appliances.

You probably don't have an inverter, only higher end RVs have them installed as regular equipment. Figure out how many watts (added together) you'll need to power the TV and satellite receiver and purchase an appropriately rated inverter. The inverter should be directly wired into the house batteries with proper sized short wires. Then run 120 v AC wiring to an outlet near TV. (AC works better over distance) Some electronics work best with a pure sine wave inverter. They cost a lot more than the modified wave inverter, but most devices work fine on the MWI. Inverters are available at Harbor Freight, Walmart, Amazon, and many other stores.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We had a Winnebago Journey that had an 8k Onan (Quiet Diesel). With A/C and TV it used about to 1 gal an hour. Bigger gen than the 4k, hope it helps.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #8

Ok guys, thanks for the info. I will be adding one of those very soon lol
Old 09-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #9

make sure you get a true SW inverter not a low cost MD inverter or you wel kill your tv in 6 months
Old 09-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001
make sure you get a true SW inverter not a low cost MD inverter or you wel kill your tv in 6 months
can't say I agree with that. after 5 years running on a factory installed 2000 watt modified sine wave inverter, my TV's, stereo, microwave, icemaker, etc all still work fine.
I'm fairly convinced that a "true sine wave inverter" is marketing hype to separate people from their money
Old 09-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaker View Post
About how much fuel per hour does a generator burn? Seems my TV and satellite system in the MH I just buoght won't turn on and run unless plugged into shore power or with the Gen on. So I'm curious as to how much fuel a Onan 4000 burns per hour traveling down the road.

Any help would be appreciated
If I read you correctly, you want to watch sat. TV while driving? If so, you need an "in-motion" sat. dish system that constantly tracks as you move. If you don't have one, you will have to watch DVDs or VHS tapes.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
can't say I agree with that. after 5 years running on a factory installed 2000 watt modified sine wave inverter, my TV's, stereo, microwave, icemaker, etc all still work fine.
I'm fairly convinced that a "true sine wave inverter" is marketing hype to separate people from their money
I agree, I've heard reports that some home refrigerators with lots of electronics and modern energy saving start ups need pure sine wave, most electronics don't.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #13

its all in what type of MD inverter you have you may have a high end filtered inverter at like 90% tracne like the freedom MD inverters come with them but for a system like mine i run my AC and washer and dryer off it if you are happy with what you have keep going with it if you want some thing cleaner then what you get from the power company go sw inverters in the end you well see if you get in your sound systems or tvs a humm that you can never get away dump the MD i have lived only off solar and inverters for 4 years and installed a lot of systems my safe so just trying to help ps my system in the pic

why alot of rvs have a MD like freedom filtered inverters is there only 80 lbs
in the past like what i have is a trane 24v 4000 watt inverter its 250 lbs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120616_175047.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	26775  
Old 09-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #14

Get rid of the old tv if it is still CRT based

It needs a converter, draws a lot of power and needs an inverter, is heavy and just ugly.

We got rid of one of ours, added 2 panels so now we have 3 total.

Here is the thread for the first one, it details how you can convert the place where the CRT unit was to valuable storage.

Panel TV Project Started

Find a LED panel that has an adaptor, then chect that the adaptor is 12 VDC, that will allow TV without inverter.

THe thread explains a few tricks as well.

You could locate a spare satalite receiver to see if it can be opened up and 12 volt power used, or contact the provider to check.

Otherwise you can get a small inverter just for the sat receiver

Tags
generator