Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Generator dies on the road.

Sorry guys but I only post when I have a problem. The generator is a 5.5Kv onan in my 2000 Fleetwood Southwind Storm. While stationary I fired up the geeny and it ran for a few minutes and died of classic fuel starvation. Hot wiring the fuel pump. The pump made no noise. Bad Pump! purchased identical pump. It made noise but didn't pump fuel and didn't produce any pressure. Back flushed fuel line. still no fuel. Back to the parts house to get a new pump. It makes noise and puts out 3.5 to 4.5 psi. right on spec. The genny has run both ACs for several hours while stationary several times. I get moving on the road and need ACs and it runs for about 20mins and dies. The only experimentation I have done is I have loosened the gas cap and that didn't help. Any Ideas Harold in the Black Hills.
hhshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 04:00 PM   #2

Oil needs to be full. Low oil shutdown could be cause.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Oil needs to be full. Low oil shutdown could be cause.
Don't forget you need at least 1/4 gas in tank.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Don't forget you need at least 1/4 gas in tank.
Agreed, on days when I expect to be using the Genny, I always make sure to keep the gas tank above 1/2 full.
Another point I've learned over the years is that you should not run the Genny for only a couple of minutes while making toast etc. and that you should let it run at least 20 minutes at a time and preferably under load.
Good luck with sourcing your problem and I look forward to hearing what the cause was.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:55 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
What is your fuel tank level??

The fuel pickup tube for the genny is at about 1/4 to 1/2 tank level. Any less than this and the genny doesn't get gas..

You probably also have 2 fuel filters, a large one mounted on the pump and a smaller one mounted on the carb. Next time you service the genny, remove the one on the carb and throw it away.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:53 PM   #6

It seems the main clue is the difference between the generator running well while stationary, but shutting down while on the road. This might suggest an electrical problem. Mine has three shut down switches, oil pressure, temperature and fuel level. I would check for a bad sensor or poor connection in the wiring.
Hoosier14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:24 AM   #7

For whatever reason, our original generator didn't have this issue but it got to the point where it wasn't cost effective to repair. We bought a new Onan Microlite 4000 and it had the same problem shutting down while driving with roof A/C running. Stopped at a Cummins Onan dealer in Sacramento where the tech told us that some RV's have the genny too far from the main gas tank for it's fuel pump to function and we needed to install an auxiliary pump. I installed a small pump near the main tank, and the problem went away.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:41 AM   #8

I totally agree it could be an electrical problem, but also could be the stator in the generator. My last rig had same problem. It’s a tear down repair. Good luck
Old 05-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #9
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure where I read this but I'll toss it out.

The person was having the same problem of stoping while driving. He found that the foil backed insulation on the access door was making contact on the oil pressure switch, killing the engine. Might be worth checking.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #10
TR4

Has the fuel line to the tank been checked? Mine was allowing air to be drawn into the system. After replacing I had no more problems. The fuel line looked good, but had many small pin holes.

Bill
Old 05-27-2018, 01:19 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good point on fuel line, and the ONAN manual lists 1) Low OIl; 2) HIGH Oil; 3) Fuel below/ approaching 1/4-tank.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:00 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks Guys for all the input. All the bases have been covered except the fuel line is steel and is 8 feet long. All the rubber lines have been replaced except the one at the tank and that one is impossible to replace without taking the tank down. I'm not sure a second pump is necessary as fuel flows on it'e own when the line is open. The only thing the pump needs to do is lift the fuel about 18 inches up to the carb. I will be looking for electrical diagrams to find what sensors this model has. Thanks again Harold in the Black Hills
hhshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:27 PM   #13

Please post the solution when you find the problem!
Ryan7361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:35 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a on an 5500. Learned that the oil level needed to be filled to tbe tippy top, not just to full mark. Else the genny would cutoff when moving (was ok when stationary).
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator