Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Generator Exhaust Extension

Has anyone made their own exhaust extension for over the roof venting.
I am trying to be a good neighbor. Thanx
donmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #2

Yes, a lot of us have. I used BillG's design. Here is a link to another IRV2 thread on this subject.

Some people worry about too much heat on the PVC pipe. After running my generator for over an hour the base was rather warm to the touch, but you could hold your hand on the pipe about 4 feet up and it was just warm.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Here is a link to a commercial product available for $ 120 if you don't want to make your own. Note this piece that mixes cool air with the hot exhaust before it enters the vertical tube is CRITICAL to keep the vertical tube from becoming too hot. Note that the metal below this point is VERY hot and will burn pets or human skin so keep that in mind. It must be at least 1" separation from anything that can burn or melt.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44461-Ge...ywords=genturi
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmacd View Post
Has anyone made their own exhaust extension for over the roof venting.
I am trying to be a good neighbor. Thanx
donmacd,
First off, I surely applaud you for being considerate of your camping neighbors. Second, as you can read already, there's all kinds of guys that have done this little project. And, as you can also see, there's commercially available ones too, for not a lot of money. Many of us do this little venture as not only a bit of a cost savings but, just do be able make one and say " I did this". I did one too. To put it simple, I used an EMT conduit angle from Home Depot and, some rain gutter down spout, and a downspout connector.

In the pics below, you'll see that I didn't clamp or bolt it to the side of the coach or mirror like some can be. Instead, I used a Go Pro camera suction cup and, a clamp that's part of the down spout system. I won't bother going into all the specific details. Just take a look at the picks and see if there's anything that appeals to your wanting to do this yourself.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #5

You can buy a GenTuri for a little over a hundred bucks that's rugged, dent proof, easily store, comes with a carrying case and several exhaust adapters. Easy decision.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have an AquaHot or Oasis unit the exhaust from them is just as hot if not hotter! I burned the grass in our lawn by having the AquaHot on overnight.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the input
donmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:02 AM   #8

I went and got the "Genturi" very well made and works great. We boondocked a couple nites this year when it was super hot and ran the generator constantly. The PVC pipe satays cool but as mentioned the metal pipe is exhaust hot. There was one thing I was not happy with but easily fixable. The clamp that holds the adaptor to the generator exhaust just didn't want to be secure. I got the adaptors in the correct position and drilled a couple holes and used steel rivets to secure everything. Very happy with everything now. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
donmacd,
First off, I surely applaud you for being considerate of your camping neighbors. Second, as you can read already, there's all kinds of guys that have done this little project. And, as you can also see, there's commercially available ones too, for not a lot of money. Many of us do this little venture as not only a bit of a cost savings but, just do be able make one and say " I did this". I did one too. To put it simple, I used an EMT conduit angle from Home Depot and, some rain gutter down spout, and a downspout connector.

In the pics below, you'll see that I didn't clamp or bolt it to the side of the coach or mirror like some can be. Instead, I used a Go Pro camera suction cup and, a clamp that's part of the down spout system. I won't bother going into all the specific details. Just take a look at the picks and see if there's anything that appeals to your wanting to do this yourself.
Scott

Nice job !!

BTW, if anyone is looking for relatively cheap suction cups, these work pretty well ....

QEP 4-7/8 in. Suction Cup for Handling Large Tile and Glass-75000Q - The Home Depot
Old 12-30-2015, 10:57 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have the commercially available Gen-turi system. Works great.
dverstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That downspout version is the best of the lot of home made I've seen to date.

MOST home brewers use PVC for the big pipe. this works and it does not (normally Will explain exception) get overheated and melt. BUT it is HEAVY compared to the stuff Camco uses for the Gen-Turi
The Downspot might jsut be a weight match,, Good design, I approve on several levels, best of the knocks offs I've seen

Now. I mentioed the one overheat exception, this too should not apply to PVC

Normally, Even after running several (up to 25) hours I can handle the balck pipe of my Gen-Turi no problem.. I do have to be careful with the metal pipe at the bottom but the main pipe no problem.. So using pliars I pull the pin (Which is lost so I don't use it any more) then using the edge of my shoe I assist the pipe in coming out of the adapter.. Then I can bag the black pipes. Walk the thing around to the entry side and by then the metal parts are cool enough to bag.

ONE TIME I had to wear gloves.. It was very very very sunny and the sun made the BLACK pipe that Camco uses far too hot to handle comfortablly. I mean it was HOT that day (Why I was running the Genny while grocery shopping)

Back when I had no car grocery shopping at a few stores that do not bag was fun.> Wife would shop, then pay, the bag in store then push cart out to RV set bags inside and I'd return cart to get quarter back.

I said: "Why bag? just bring it out and put it away"

Duh.. Why didn't I think of that?

Worked great, I mean how many times have you driven your car to the store and by the time you got home the Ice Cream was no longer ICE.

Never had that problem

Now I have a car (Sadly no longer a wife) but I cheat.. Put a "Coleman Cooler" (Well different brand) in the back seat. Ice cream, along with "Blue Ice" type products go in there.. Still cold when I get back to RV. Plus all the cold stuff gets transferred to house in one move.

Trust me on this: When you blow your engine in S.E. Georgia, and it's August.. you will be GLAD you have that cooler for cold food transport!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2015, 11:38 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
I used the 3" White Drain Pipe available at Home Depot for the riser.

3 in. x 10 ft. Drain Pipe Solid-3550010 - The Home Depot

Very light and no paint need for my application.

I did cut it in half and used a pvc coupling to simplify storage.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:58 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have a different view of the exhaust generator. I enjoy fabricating items to make my coach simpler and easier to use. If something comes with a cheap bracket, I'll break out the welder and make it better. As stated by others, it's nice to save money and make a better product, but when I do make an item, I don't want it to make my coach look like the rig used in the "Ma and Pa Kettle" movie.

With the above stated, I believe that the Genturi is one of the few items you shouldn't make yourself. It ALWAYS looks home made and you really don't save money between the time it takes and the cost of materials. The Genturi is very well made and reasonably priced and can be often found on sale for even less.

Lastly, I believe using suction cups, especially the ones that use a clamping action after applied, will cause damage to the exterior of your coach and to dual pane windows. They can cause delamination of the gelcoat over time and cause issues with the seal on dual pane windows. I bought my Genturi new several years ago. My new coach is taller and it was nice to just order the extension that matched. Even though I like the product more than most, I did make custom brackets that quickly and easily attached to my last and current coach without causing any damage. On my current coach, I used a rubber coated clamp that quickly attaches to the mirror arm and tightens with a wingnut. I also reworked the Genturi mount, that attaches to your generator exhaust tip, so that I could quick connect a chrome tip back on when not using the Genturi.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:35 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Lastly, I believe using suction cups, especially the ones that use a clamping action after applied, will cause damage to the exterior of your coach and to dual pane windows.
First time I've ever heard anybody suggest that! I have to say I am more than a bit skeptical, but we each have to make our own call on that sort of thing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator