Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Generator fuel leak?

For all of you RV experts...
I just topped off the gas tank. We just purchased this MH just before winter so have not had many top offs yet. As a matter of fact, this is the first time since the drive home that the tank is actually full.
Anyhow, I topped off the tank and then pulled into the Costco parking lot to wait with the dog while the DW went inside. I walked around the outside to check on the new TST TPMS and noticed that there was a wet spot on the pavement near the generator door with a gas odor. I opened the door and the line going to the generator was wet. There was no active leaking at the time and once I got home I saw no more leaking.
Does anyone know if this is an indication of an actual leak or is there some sort of overfill or pressure relief built into the line?

Thanks

Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The generator has to pump fuel from the tank, so I doubt if the wet spot had anything to do with filling the tank. The generator would have to be running to pump fuel.

It seems more likely that the tank fill tube or the tank vent hose runs near there and one of them leaked some fuel. Sometimes fuel runs down the vent line from the filler opening.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
OK...got it figured out. I tried to start the generator and a leak started from a pinhole leak just prior to the clamp on the fuel line. I was hoping that once the pump quit running the leak would slow and stop. I was wrong. Apparently just hoping is not enough to get a leak to stop. I was able to contain the leak until I got the clamp off and raised the end of the hose above the level of the tank to get the flow to stop.

After a quick trip to NAPA I got the fuel line changed out and all is well. I feel very fortunate that the first time I noticed the wet spot it did not develop into a continuous leak on the spot. I don't know why it didn't. It's time to do a thorough check of all lines and hoses.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:37 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
OK...got it figured out. I tried to start the generator and a leak started from a pinhole leak just prior to the clamp on the fuel line. I was hoping that once the pump quit running the leak would slow and stop. I was wrong. Apparently just hoping is not enough to get a leak to stop. I was able to contain the leak until I got the clamp off and raised the end of the hose above the level of the tank to get the flow to stop.

After a quick trip to NAPA I got the fuel line changed out and all is well. I feel very fortunate that the first time I noticed the wet spot it did not develop into a continuous leak on the spot. I don't know why it didn't. It's time to do a thorough check of all lines and hoses.
i had a similar leak, actually more of a seep. i could smell gas all the time. i replaced the fuel line and both upper and lower fuel filters, onan pn 48-2014.
the onan clamps were a pita to remove. i had to cut them off and used regular hose clamps on the new installation.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, generator, leak