Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Generator Maintenance

Hoping some knowledgeable folks can help me with the coolant flush for my Onan QD8000. Tried flushing the coolant this weekend following the instructions in the manual. When I opened the drain only about half a gallon drained out. The capacity is 4.2 qts. Put in the flush solution and topped off with distilled water and ran the generator under a 40amp load for two hours. Drained and again only got a half gallon of very green liquid. Refilled with distilled water, ran generator for 30 minutes and again drained a half gallon of not as green liquid. I figured by the 3rd draining the fluid would be mostly clear and that more would come each time a drained it. Time ran out and I left it for another day. How many flushes should it take and how clear should the fluid be? I have a gallon and a half of premixed extended life coolant to fill with but am worried that half the fluid is retained in the generator and I need a concentrated coolant to get the right dilution. Am I missing something that I should be doing to get out more fluid or is this normal?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
did you have the top cap off so it could vent? I would not think that would keep it from getting all out but that or the thermostat is about all I would think could cause it.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Jimmy. Yes, the pressure cap was off and the cap to the coolant overflow too. Interestingly, the coolant overflow didn't drain. I ended up siphoning it to empty it.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Did you pull the hose out that the pressure cap is attached to. It can have a kink in it might be causing a vapor lock.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #5

I have a question, why are you changing the coolant in the first place? Do you have 1000 hours of operation on the generator, because it's not 5 years old yet? Onan's schedule says to flush the coolant after 1000 hours of operation or every 5 years.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes, you would be better off with concentrate.
Once your distilled flushes are draining clear, you can just add 1/2 of total cooling system capacity with concentrate, then distilled water to top it up.
Also, after each time you run it, you will likely need to add some to the overflow tank, while the air works it's way out.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Changing it at 4 years instead of 5. The coolant in the engine tested as needing changed so I am doing the genset too. Yes, pulled the hose all the way out. Is it typical to only get out half the volume? Wondering how many flushes before it runs clear?
Old 10-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I only got about 3 qts when I did my QD 7500 (same genset). Not sure where the other qt went.

Had a lot of trouble getting the new stuff in and it took only about 3 qt. I figured it didn't all drain. However, genset kept shutting down after 10 minutes or so with a coolant code. Fiddled with the hoses a lot to help work bubbles out and the time began to increase. Eventually it ran ok and I added another half qt or so. It's been fine for 5 years now.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:03 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info Gary. I guess I will just keep flushing till it runs clear.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just so you know.....they are a pain to flush and refill.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow, are they ever! I'm on the 4th flush and the green-blue is now coming out light brown.

Tags
generator, maintenance