Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #1

Generator Noise

I have a new to me 2003 four winds 31z. One thing that bothers me is the noise the generator makes inside the motorhome. Is there something I can do to reduce the sound? John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2. What brand of generator do you have? If it is one of the 3600 rpm units, you won't be ab;e to get it any quieter. They are what they are.

You might try removing the generator from the bay and them lining it with some sound deadening matts.

Ken

Old 06-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #3

Ken, thanks for the reply...Without going outside to look, I think it is an Onan
4000 watt. Probably is 3600 RPM. I may look into your suggestion to reduce the sound. John
Old 06-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can pick up some sound deadening pads from J.C. Whitney on-line.

Ken
Old 06-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't suggest how to dampen the noise, but I can tell you that you will get used to it. Our generator runs the A/C or the furnace at times and I still sleep like a baby.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
rockman 1.....Do what insulation you can, but you're stuck with some of the noise. Depending on what surface you're parked on, the noise from the 4000 can bounce off of the ground. Try throwing a piece of thick carpet or padding under it when running. This can absorb/deaden some of the noise.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I spent hours and a few $ trying to get my 4000 quieter. I even bought a DB meter to measure any improvement. I am sad to report the solution was to buy a new MH with a diesel generator. If Honda would make a generator at a decent price for rv's they could steal the market. A Genturi will help move some noise up but still little help.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #8

Ok, thanks. I guess I will just try it for awhile and see if I get use to it. I really doubt if it will bother me so much that I sell the motorhome and get a DP
Old 06-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #9

As I understand it, the Onan gensets like yours - and mine - spin at 1800 RPM or so - check the Onan suspension to see if it is free in it's supports and can move freely while running to mechanically isolate it from it's supports.

In our case, since the only real need for the Onan is for the A/C or microwave, we use the Honda 2K generator - runs quieter by far, and can be placed as far as appropriated from the MH - better for us, and the neighbors!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gary, the Onan 4000 Microlite operates at 3600 rpm. In the Emerald series, they operate at 1800 RPM.
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0503.pdf

There is considerable difference in cost between the Microlite and Emerald series.

Ken
Old 06-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Gary, the Onan 4000 Microlite operates at 3600 rpm. In the Emerald series, they operate at 1800 RPM.
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/981-0503.pdf

There is considerable difference in cost between the Microlite and Emerald series.

Ken
WELL - I certainly do not know all the various types of Onans used in various RVs - and ya made me go look at mine!

The 4KW Emerald I model in OUR '88 Winnie Super Chief IS, indeed, a 1800 RPM model - I'll hafta be more conscious of the various other years and models Onan produced...

SO, the remaining question is, what version does John have?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have never seen a class c with an Emerald series. They will go with the smaller and cheaper Microlite. We had two older class A's with the Emerald series and they were much less noisy then the high speed units and generally a more reliable generator. Our Winnebago class C had the Microlite.

I sure wish that Honda would enter the RV generator market....they would kick butt. I carry a pair of the Honda UE2000i with the 30 amp parallel kit.

Ken
Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 PM   #13

Quote:
I sure wish that Honda would enter the RV generator market....they would kick butt. I carry a pair of the Honda UE2000i with the 30 amp parallel kit.
We sure love our Honda 2KW - actually much quieter than the Honda 1KW it replaced - at about the same weight! For the more routine, lighter duty use other than A/C, the 2KW rating works great, is quieter and uses far less fuel. We bought our 2KW Honda for the 5th wheel, but it easily packs along in the MH as well.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #14

The plate on my Onan says 3600 RPM. Not sure what series it is.

John

Tags
generator