Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
The OP rig looks pretty new. Why would there be no oil filter for the Onan? My 1988 Onan 4k had one.
Our Onan 4000 had no oil filter, out Onan 5500 had one. The suggested interval for both was 150 hours and that is what I follow.

The service manual says to use API class SJ, SH, or SG with 30 weight prefered if the temperatures are consistently above freezing. The multi-weight types are recommended for when the temperature range includes numbers lower than 32 degrees F.

I always use 30 wt. because we live in FL.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #16

I have an older Qnan Marquis 5000 in my new to me MH. I changed the oil in it to Mobil 1 5W30 high mileage, because that is what I use in my cars and had it on hand. After some checking I am going to change to Mobil 1 V-Twin motorcycle 20W50 at the next oil change, because it is designed for air cooled engines and I use the generator the most when it is hot.
miller806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
The OP rig looks pretty new. Why would there be no oil filter for the Onan? My 1988 Onan 4k had one.
It's a 2007 coach. The Onan QG 4000 doesn't have an oil filter.
DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:42 AM   #18

We have a 5,500-watt, air cooled, Cummins Onan Marquis Gold gas generator and yes I use Royal Purple straight 30W syn because of the terrain we're normally in. If we we're in a different climate than we normally are in a lot, I'd use a different weight per manual. Royal Purple is very hard to find in any stores—especially straight 30W—so I order it off Amazon. Ours takes 2 qts. with oil filter. Just did my 100 hour change and filter last week. I change oil and filter annually. We have 1,150 hrs. on ours.

Good oil and regular changes is the cheapest mechanic you'll ever hire.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front-of-generator.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	256493  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pg.26-oil-specifications.pdf (33.2 KB, 24 views)
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Does Onan recommend synthetic oil ?
Well, it depends. Here's a screen grab from my manual.

FWIW, I do use Amsoil 10w30 small engine oil in my gasoline generator. It's really not much more expensive than any other good oil. I do change it once a year, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	52
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	256494  
Old 08-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #20

I live in Arizona and use 20w-50 in my old '99 Onan 5k. Many lighter oils will not meet the high temperature demands I need when boondocking at local lakes.
Temperatures can easily be over 100 degrees in late March or early April.

When I was working for Phoenix we were trying to find a weight oil that would meet the warranty requirements of the light duty vehicles. We found the Chrysler at the time wanted 10w-30w for temps over 100 degrees so we had to stock 2 weights of oil.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:18 AM   #21

Runs much better on Rotella synthetic blend than it did on conventional oil.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Runs much better on Rotella synthetic blend than it did on conventional oil.
Runs better ? In what way ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #23

Being an aircooled engine I use full syn in my Onan genny. I choose Rotella t6 5w40. Syn oil does not beeak down under heat like dino oil so it doesnt have to be thicker to start. Search every oil test ever run and you will never find a dino oil outperforming a full synthetic oil anyplace. For a few dollars more, why take the chance....ever price out a replacement genny?
airshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #24

Sure, synthetic oil is better, but is it better then the engine needs ?

Big, hard working, industrial diesel engines run dyno oil. Intake air dirt ingestion or severe overheating due to a failure in the cooling system, wheather air or liquid cooled, is the killer of engines, oil can't stop that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airshot View Post
Being an aircooled engine I use full syn in my Onan genny. I choose Rotella t6 5w40. Syn oil does not beeak down under heat like dino oil so it doesnt have to be thicker to start. Search every oil test ever run and you will never find a dino oil outperforming a full synthetic oil anyplace. For a few dollars more, why take the chance....ever price out a replacement genny?
Old 08-12-2019, 07:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Runs better ? In what way ?

With conventional in hot weather it would often die when pulling off the highway, say into a campground. I attributed it to heat and less air flow. Since changing to Rotella blend it has never done that. It has been 3-4 years on Rotella.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
With conventional in hot weather it would often die when pulling off the highway, say into a campground. I attributed it to heat and less air flow. Since changing to Rotella blend it has never done that. It has been 3-4 years on Rotella.
Kind of a leap to connect the two but OK.

The synthetic oil doesn't cool the engine more, it can stand more heat.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #27

Quote:
Kind of a leap to connect the two but OK.

The synthetic oil doesn't cool the engine more, it can stand more heat.
Hmmm....

We have checked two Goldwing motorcycle rear drive units with a laser thermometer. One was running a synthetic gear lube, and the other was running a conventional lube. Both were running the same viscosity; both had just made the same trip under the same conditions. The one with the synthetic was, indeed, running quite a bit cooler. How that'd relate to an air cooled engine would be debatable.

My generator is not due for an oil change for several months, or I'd give it a try.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:43 PM   #28

Ok. Just to stir the pot
The Royal purple bottle says diesel. Does that matter since I have a QC4000 gas genny?
DoC808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator