Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2006, 07:54 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is the problem I am having. AC runs when pluged into shore power & will even run off the 2000 watt inverter, but it will not run when using the generator for power.
The fan will run but when it is set to cool it will not start.
Any Ideas

MikeCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2006, 07:54 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is the problem I am having. AC runs when pluged into shore power & will even run off the 2000 watt inverter, but it will not run when using the generator for power.
The fan will run but when it is set to cool it will not start.
Any Ideas

Old 07-16-2006, 12:27 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mike you allow the Gen to warm up before cutting in AC if you have a surge protector it may cut off your AC if voltage is unstable from Gen also or you try running two AC'S thru surge.
If you have low voltage in CG also you will get same condition also with a surge pro. I have bypassed to surge when I have found this condition to run AC's when I was around. Once Gen is warmed up ONE AC works find thru surge.
Your Gen may need adjustment if it can't run when compressor cuts in on AC.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:06 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
MIke, don't forget about the built in time delay befor the compressor will be ingaged. Did you let it run for about 5 minutes? Do you know what the voltage is coming from the generator? If too low the control board on air conditioner may see this and not allow the compressor to be energized. Let us know some of these conditions so we can be of more help.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,
Buried behind the electrical should be the inteletec control panel. This does load shedding for the coach. There is a test switch which will allow you to run the a/c unit. I have found in the past problems with this board and had to replace it. Does the a/c come on at all? if yes, is it just the fan and no compressor? Need to check to see if 120vac is getting to compressor. Could be a bad starting cap or compressor. I digging this up from the grey cells, so I might be wrong, but the 04 sightseer rings a bell. Another thing to check, once Generator is running is everthing else working correctly, microwave, fridge, tv etc. Measure voltage out of generator, if normal, generator is not problem. Do you have 1 or 2 a/c units? Do you have 30amp or 50amp service? Good luck and let us know what you find.
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:03 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
OK I will try to give more info.
1 AC unit 30 amp service
AC runs fine off shore power & with power from my inverter.
My rig does not have an auto switch over for the Genset. I have to plug the shore power plug into the Genset outlet.
Genset supplies AC power to all outlets & appliances. The Microware works fine with power from Genset.
I have tried with all the circuit breakers turned off except the Main & AC breakers and with all breakers on, there is no difference.
With the Genset running 15 minutes & I switch the Thermostat from off to Cool & the Fan switch set to Auto I hear a click in the Thermostat & a few seconds later I hear a click from the AC unit. the AC never starts I only hear the click.
If I put the cooling switch to off & move the Fan switch to fan the AC fan runs on either High or Low setting.
The compressor never starts.
I do not have a volt meter with me to test genset output voltage.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:19 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
See if you can borrow or ask a fellow camper to measure the generator voltage output for you. You may also want to check the wiring at the receptacle from the generator. Make sure the conections are tight. Let us know what you find.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,
Thanks for the info. I don't think you have the intelltec system on your coach, they were mainly for 30amp coaches with 2 a/c units. This provided load shedding so you could run both a/c's on a 30amp circuit.

Now one more question, when you are running on the generator and you turn on the a/c unit, does the generator bog down like it's starving for gas? If yes, then you have a bad compressor or bad starting cap which is shorted. If the generator does not, then you can have an open in the starting cap or in the compressor. Next step is to have an a/c person check the starting capacitor for the compressor. More than likely it will be the cap. IF the cap is okay, look to having the entire unit replaced unless you have a qualified a/c man who understands the RV a/c units to replace the compressor. Hope this info helps. One other check, make sure the yellow wire going to the control panel in the a/c unit, where the 120vac connects, has +12vdc on it. Can not remember if it is required for both fan and compressor or just compressor. I think it's for both, but check anyway.
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:05 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another thing to check is the load center switch box with your wiring to it to see if your ac's are split to both sides of your load center and not both on same side over loading one side of center. This happened on Newmar Essex with the load center over loaded on one side with three AC's.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote