Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #1

Generator quits when vehicle runs a few min.

Hi All, My wife and I are suppose to be on Vacation but are having generator problems. I have a 2007 FW Hurricane 30Q with a Generac 3,600. I have 6,500 miles on the RV and 165hrs. on the gen. The generator has a new plug, fuel filter, oil and filter change. The gen runs fine sitting in the driveway but when I start the ford V10 engine the gen will stall in about 8min. It doesn't matter if I'm driving or idling in the drive the gen will stall. It seems to be running out of gas but I have a full tank. A friend said to remove the gas cap gasket and try it. I did and it ran great, no check engine light or anything. I callled the dealership and he said it sounds like an emissions problem and should take to a Ford dealership and run the emissions test. The test is around 100 bucks. I have visually looked at the fuel line to the tank and no kinks were found. I also did not find any disconected emission lines. I do not want to go on vacation without running the gas cap gasket. I also bought a new gas cap and it did the same thing. Can anyone help us with this issue? Thans in advance, Jim & Jan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
does the generator give you any fault codes when it stalls? Not sure if yours is setup that way, the Onan sets will....

txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #3

My local Ford dealership did an emissions test and the result was a canister vent solenoid needed replaced. It must be an expensive part or really labor intense as the repair bill close to $500.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #4

I think it was caused by vacume in the gas tank and the puny onan fuel pump can't overcome it. If it does it again just try lossing the fuel cap and I bet it runs.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #5

Yes, mine did run when I took the gas cap off. I think the canister vent solenoid being bad wasn't able to vent the tank so the generator's fuel pump wasn't able to over come the vacuum. By removing the gas cap the vacuum wasn't an issue. I hope this helps others.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueman View Post
My local Ford dealership did an emissions test and the result was a canister vent solenoid needed replaced. It must be an expensive part or really labor intense as the repair bill close to $500.
what is the duration of the ''emissions'' warranty on your unit? it seems to me that it should have been covered.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #7

Something was 8 yrs. and something else was 10yrs. on emissions. Just so happens the part they replaced was not under warranty. NOW fot the bad news, I went to pick up mY RV and it is doing the exact same thing. I just paid them over 500$ and went around the block and back to dealership only to be told "the mechanic is booked up till Monday morn. bring it back then and we'll look at it"
Old 06-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How much fuel is in the tank? Also check the generator fuel pump. I realize that yours is not an Onan but it still could be bad. Have you run the generator under load in the driveway yet this season? You may have bad fuel in the line.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #9

I have a full tank of gas and the generator runs great under load in the driveway as long as the RV's V-10 engine is not running. If it is running, in about 8min. or so the gen quits as if it ran out of gas. Does the Generac gen have a seperate fuel pump?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #10

Maybe it wasn't the canister vent solenoid, but a hose going to or from it that is plugged.
Bad tech - for not testing it. He could have started your generator and engine and gone for a smoke or cup of coffee to see if it still ran after 8-10 minutes. Your complaint/symptoms should have been on the work order.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #11

Took my RV back to repair shop this morning. They installed a vent line to the factory vent line,as I understant it. I asked why they replaced the canister vent solenoid and was told mine was sticking, although it did the exact same thing after they replaced it. As for venting the factory vent line I think was just masking the problem they couldn't find. I'm getting sick and tired of paying 100$ an hour to people doing guess work in my opinion. Thanks to all forum members who helped me out with this issue.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #12

Of all the vehicles I've owned I have more trouble with Ford products then anything else.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Of all the products I have owned, had the most problems with Chevrolet.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueman View Post
Took my RV back to repair shop this morning. They installed a vent line to the factory vent line,as I understant it. I asked why they replaced the canister vent solenoid and was told mine was sticking, although it did the exact same thing after they replaced it. As for venting the factory vent line I think was just masking the problem they couldn't find. I'm getting sick and tired of paying 100$ an hour to people doing guess work in my opinion. Thanks to all forum members who helped me out with this issue.
They have a name for techs that just throw parts at a problem until they find it. Can't remember it, though.

If a new canister didn't fix the problem, then there was nothing wrong with the original one, no matter what they told you. If I understand you, they installed a new vent line, which sounds like the original vent line is either plugged, collapsed or pinched.

Sounds like time for a call or letter to Ford headquarters. Maybe you can get some of your wasted money back.

So, is it working right now?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator