Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Generator Reverts T/S Back to Inverter

generator ran BOTH A/C for 4 hours then switched back to inverter, today it ran both A/C units for 30 minutes and again switched back to inverter.
I have replaced Transfer Switch but that is not the fix.
Generator is still producing power and brakers on generator are still on. I.E. Not popped! One braker feel's kind'a SOFT, like it does not snap when I trip it, could I have an "arching" in the braker causing the dissconect?
Please help!
1994 Coachmen Santara
Onan 7KW.
Thanks. eejay.

eejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 03:58 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
When you say Generator is producing power; did you measure ac voltage coming off or does it just run? Please provide the model and spec number.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:50 AM   #3

make sure the large AC wires on the generator are torqued down pretty good. It may have worked its way loose...
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 (Melody), Folkstone
2013 Jeep Rubicon, Ready Brute Elite & Currie Ent Baseplate
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Cool Generator Reverts T/S Back to Inverter

RV Wizard / Redridge,
Thank you both for replying and sorry for my delay!

Generator runs AND produces 119 volts ---It will run BOTH roof A/C units
together until SOMETHING JUST DISCONECTS after running for 30 minutes to as much as 4 hours!
I figured the Transfer Switch was bad so replaced it and now it is STILL with the same symptems---Bah Humbug!

Redridge, Thanks for suggestion, the lugs/terminals all seem OK?

RV Wizard, Thank you too, here are the Onan Specs;
Model 7nhmfa26106d Spec: D
Serial h933070199
KW 6.8
Amps 56.7
Hours of running 1,139

It still appears to me that Redridge is on the right track and there is a
momentary break in current, causing T/S to revert to inverter?
in next day or two I will run it until problem occcurs then IMMEDIATLY check with Voltmeter to see how far through system power is traveling!
All suggestions greatfully recieved.
Thanks. eejay.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is what is most likely happening;

The air conditioner compressors are probably drawing a large starting current as they cycle with high head pressure. This could cause the generator voltage to drop below the threshold that the inverter will tolerate as acceptable for passing through it's internal transfer switch. This can happen when the air conditioner compressors cycle on/off with a high head pressure.

The inverter will react by opening the transfer switch and attempt to supply 120vac. The inverter will not immediately revert back to generator (there is a built in delay to ensure that the input voltage is again adequate).

You can prove (or disprove) this theory by turning the inverter OFF and not allowing it to react to the generator temporary drop out.

You can help the situation by ensuring that your generator output voltage and frequency are at optimum levels. Also, make sure that all other current drawing appliances are on propane, if possible.

Most quality inverters have operator controlled settings that can be changed to make the inverter a little more tolerant of voltage variations. Yours may be one of these.
'97 Bounder 34V, F53 7.5L-460
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
The power from the Generator and Shore Power on my rig passes to the Air Conditioners from the electrical panel and the inverter simultaneously.

The inverter has no bearing on the roof AC operations.

If there is no Generator Power and the Inverter is on, then of course the batteries will provide 110v power where they can via the inverter, but not to the roof AC because they are not wired to do so.

The Inverter in this case is irrelevant and a red herring in the diagnosis.

Either something in the AC unit is tripping off, or the Generator is failing to provide power.

Turn the inverter off when the generator is running! (It is not needed or contributing power then anyway).

If when the AC then stops working and all other 110v outlets also do not have power, the problem is likely with the generator power delivery system.

If when the AC stops working but the other 110v outlets continue to have power, the problem is likely with the Air Conditioners.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
Generator Reverts T/S Back to Inverter

I appologise, I got names twisted on last post, Redridge should have been, Old Bounder; sad: Our weather at present is too cool to be running A/C (We live in our rig and presently are at 7,500 ft!) so still have not been able to prove/disprove situation yet.

Dean, Thanks for your input too. We dry camp all the time so I have my shore power stinger in effect plugged streight into the inverter. Therefore the whole house 110 system is alive all the time, have done it this way for 7 or 8 years, we just know not to overload the 2,000 to 4,000 watt surge inverter! When this problem presents itself, the inverter replaces the lost powerer and runs both A/C fans. We obviously turn the A/C's off immediatly!
Starting generator to run A/C has never been a problem before, HOWEVER we were in VERY hot (95 ---102 deg!) weather till we got UP to 7,500 ft, and I think when we next need the A/C I will be able to prove/disprove "Old Bounders" reasoning.
Thank you all so much. eejay

inverter, generator