Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #1

Generator shore power transfer switch

Hello, I have a 1993 Pace Arrow, gas burner 450 Chevy 30 amp. Somehow my landlord decided to run 220 in the shore power as he was pretending to be an Electrician, so I started the generator during the time the power was down. He ended up burning up every electronic I had. The invertor suffered nothing. But on the back of my my circuit breaker box, there is a transfer switch that burned out. I need to replace this and put a manual transfer switch. Do you have any suggestions as I am somewhat new to RV life. I have had this RV 3 years and lived in it in Northern Colorado. At this point, I only have shore power. I tried to wire the generator leads directly to the shore power leads, and it isn't working. I do know to unplug the shore power, but still doesn't work. It's probably wrong to begin with. I would like to have a manual transfer switch, can you help with a suggested transfer switch that I can use? I have no idea what kind that will work with my RV. Thanks for your time, and help, have a blessed day.

Jp4andmore, Northern Colorado full time RV'r
jp4andmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 06:26 PM   #2

Maybe the easiest thing would be to wire in an outlet , on the end of the generator wiring , so you would have to plug your shore power cable in to the outlet, to operate the RV systems from the generator .
Many lower line coaches use this set up , eliminates the transfer switch altogether.

You would have to make your connections to eliminate the existing transfer switch in an approved electrical box , and mount the new outlet in one too.
But considering a new transfer switch could run $250, a considerable savings.

EDIT: You said wiring direct to the shore plug wasn't working , have you checked the gen set for a tripped circuit breaker?
Old 08-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the relay that Fleetwood used in your original transfer switch.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Maybe the easiest thing would be to wire in an outlet , on the end of the generator wiring , so you would have to plug your shore power cable in to the outlet, to operate the RV systems from the generator .
Many lower line coaches use this set up , eliminates the transfer switch altogether.

You would have to make your connections to eliminate the existing transfer switch in an approved electrical box , and mount the new outlet in one too.
But considering a new transfer switch could run $250, a considerable savings.

EDIT: You said wiring direct to the shore plug wasn't working , have you checked the gen set for a tripped circuit breaker?
Hi I tried unwiring what I thought was the generator leads, but when shore is unplugged, and I generator is running, those leads apparently were not the generators, so I am at a loss on how to find the generator leads. When I do, I will connect them to a stand aside circuit box. Old Bounder, where is this relay locator, I see nothing that looks like that in the original circuit box under the fridge where the inverter is, sorry I am not experienced with this get up. Skip how do I locate the generator leads, and what do they look like? thanks guys for your help and support, means a million to me
Old 08-27-2015, 09:21 PM   #5

There are only the shore power cable and the generator leads into the bottom of my transfer switch , and the cable to the RV circuit panel out the top.
As per the picture below.
Black cord lower right is shore power, grey cable lower left generator.

Have you looked for a circuit breaker or master fuse on the generator?
Just cause it's running doesn't mean it's generating power .

EDIT: Sorry picture is of a 50 amp switch , yours wont have the red wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135 (480x640).jpg
Views:	274
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	104975  
Old 08-28-2015, 06:14 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Follow your shore power cord to your transfer relay. Most likely near your circuit breaker panel not your inverter.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #7

onan marquis 7000, weird, won't pwer all ac

the transfer switch is attached to the back of the circuit board under the fridge. I want to figure out what are the hot wires coming off this generator so I can install a shoreline plug 30 amp and by pass the transfer switch. I know the starting wires to jump if needed, but the power generated, I have no idea where this conduit is coming from, no pics all over the net assume everyone knows the power leads. any ideas???

oh the weird thing, when the generator was running, all power 110 in the RV where dead, yet the A/C in front and back both worked, but the toggle switch reverse the order, back turned on front,, and front turned on back, and no power anywhere else
Old 08-31-2015, 09:17 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp4andmore View Post
the transfer switch is attached to the back of the circuit board under the fridge. I want to figure out what are the hot wires coming off this generator so I can install a shoreline plug 30 amp and by pass the transfer switch. I know the starting wires to jump if needed, but the power generated, I have no idea where this conduit is coming from, no pics all over the net assume everyone knows the power leads. any ideas???

oh the weird thing, when the generator was running, all power 110 in the RV where dead, yet the A/C in front and back both worked, but the toggle switch reverse the order, back turned on front,, and front turned on back, and no power anywhere else
Okay, I'll give it another try.....

First, Please explain WHY you want to by-pass the transfer switch rather than fix or replace it? Are you sure it's failing? Did you check all the circuit breakers on the generator? (they are on the end of the generator, just out of sight)

If your relay looks like this one, it should be wired as shown.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:55 AM   #9

To me a manual transfer switch would be YOU either plugging your shore power cord into a pedestal or into an outlet from your generator.
Perhaps for safety sake you should have someone familiar with RV wiring fix your problem .

Tags
generator, power, shore power, transfer switch