Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Generator shut down

I have an 06 onen 8000 watt generator diesel for some reason it wants to shut down for lack of fuel just below half a tank I understand it has a quarter tank fuel shut off but mine shuts off just below half a tank it gives the code 3 blinks in a row

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #2

The 1/4 tank is an approximation. The fuel line is simply a tube that doesn't go to the bottom of the tank. You may also have a faulty fuel guage and you are lower then indicated . Or both.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #3

The gas gauge is accurate do you think the fuel pick up line for the generator could have pulled away from the quarterback position
Old 07-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #4

I meant quarter position
Old 08-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #5

I am guessing it was installed "approximately". I havent looked to see how it is mounted on my tank. If there was a way to access the gen fuel line take off from tank it would be worth investigating. My fear is the pickup is mounted to the top of the tank. Aint worth dropping the tank IMHO.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:47 PM   #6

Just very frustrating. To have The generator shut off when the fuel goes right below half tank
Old 08-02-2014, 12:12 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Could your coach level be playing a part in fuel cutoff? Are you higher in the front or vice versa and the fuel line is further away from fuel?
Old 08-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
I have an 06 onen 8000 watt generator diesel for some reason it wants to shut down for lack of fuel just below half a tank I understand it has a quarter tank fuel shut off but mine shuts off just below half a tank it gives the code 3 blinks in a row
Mike,
Just wondering about something here. When you say "3 blinks in a row", are you looking at the ENTIRE blink scenario? That is, in most cases, the blink sequence is followed by a short "pause" then, there is another set of blinks then, a long "pause" then, the sequence starts all over again. I just want to make sure we're on the same page here.

When I had issues with my Onan 7.5QD shutting down prematurely, it also blinked three times. But, it blinked three times and, like stated, a short pause, then another set of three. When I went to the Onan trouble shooting manual, that was a code "33". And, that code had various remedies. For mine, it was called an "over heat" condition which, Onan gave many possible cures for it in the manual.

But, none of the cures was the problem. On mine, and many, many other Onan 7.5 and 8.0 units, it's a faulty temp sensor.

Anyway, just trying to help analyze your issue here and make sure you're reading the blink-code system correctly. If you are and, your unit is actually shutting down because of low fuel when in fact, you DO have a half tank, then yep, some investigating is in store for you.

How long have you owned the coach? This question pertains to, if your gauge is accurate, then you know what the tank is supposed to hold. And, let's say you fill it, then, travel long enough to put an estimated amount, based on what the gauge says it is at the time. Let's say it's a 100 gallon tank, like ours. Then, you drive it for say, long enough to have that gauge read 1/2. Well, now you should, for the most part, be able to put 50 gallons in it, plus or minus just a couple.

So, see what I'm getting at? If you've drove this coach long enough, you should be able to estimate real close, just how much fuel you're going to put in, based on where ever the gauge reads at the time. That should tell you how accurate your gauge is. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #9

I read earlier that some RV's are set to 1/2 tank instead of 1/4 tank.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #10

I'm 99% sure my fuel gauge is accurate Don and Barb where did you read that some RV tanks are set at one half shut off
Old 09-09-2014, 05:33 AM   #11

I would perform a fuel pump test. The QuietDiesel series utilizes a continuous return/flow of unneeded fuel back to the tank. It is entirely possible that as the volume of fuel in the tank decreases a failing fuel pump (or fuel filter becoming plugged) will begin to have problems drawing from the lower level. I see you're in Marion, I'm in Delaware.. would be happy to help you TS it.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ok it shuts down for lack of fuel. Your choices are live with it or spend $$$$$ to drop the tank and add to the in tank hose. Some people have long hoses some short. as is you have 100 hours of gen time with a full tank, so just arrive at camp with as full a tank as possible or get a Jerry can or two.

LEN
Old 09-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
I'm 99% sure my fuel gauge is accurate Don and Barb where did you read that some RV tanks are set at one half shut off
Someone on one of these RV forums said that their RV was set at 1/2 tank instead of 1/4, not sure what manufacturer. I just wanted to let people know that there might be a possibility of this so if their gen doesn't start with 1/4 tank put in a little more and try it again before they drop the tank or do costly repairs.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
My RV generator shuts off when my fuel tank is above 1/4 tank but below 1/2. I'd recommend filling the fuel tank up, just to find out.

Tags
generator