Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Generator Shut Down & 7.5 KW Onan Diesel

Just recently my ginny started right up as usual, but then after about a minute it shut down. On a restart it sounds as if it's trying to catch, but won't start. I am in the process of changing the fuel filter which I changed in the past 24 months, and I plan to blow backwards into the tank to see if there are an blockages. Has any one had an event such as this. If so, what was the problem? Thanks.
David
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #2

Check, for at least 1/3rd of a tank of fuel and look at the supply line to the gen set to make sure it isn't kinked when the gen set slides.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
David,

What code is it showing? There should be blinking of the light in the start switch.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #4

Newmar says my geny won't run if fuel level in coach gets below 1/4 tank. Can't confirm this as have never run fuel that low. I wish it would run till empty like the chassis engine. If I run it out thats my fault! I would like to do away with that nanny if I knew how. Just something else to malfunction. May have to check into it.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Newmar says my geny won't run if fuel level in coach gets below 1/4 tank. Can't confirm this as have never run fuel that low. I wish it would run till empty like the chassis engine. If I run it out thats my fault! I would like to do away with that nanny if I knew how. Just something else to malfunction. May have to check into it.
On my first motorhome, I thought I would not like this feature, so I found a drain plug in the bottom of the tank. I removed the plug and installed a 90 degree fitting and had no problems with this fix. I later figured out that the 1/4 tank was no problem and have not changed out the last four motorhomes.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #6

I had a problem with my 7500 deisel onan shutting off by itself. It wouldn't stay running. I replaced the fuel filter and it never shut off by itself again. So that would be a good place to start. That reminds me, I should go out and exercise it. The cummins shop told me they constantly get rvs in their, since folks don't use the rigs often. Good Luck.
Eagle123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:56 AM   #7

Our salesman told us the 1/4 tank outlet is designed tp prevent you from using all of your fuel and being stranded. It seemed like a good idea to me.
Mbylone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. The tank is full. Picked up a new filter and will try and install it today, although I don't think that is the problem. My ginny doesn't slide out....so I don't have to deal with a kinked hose, but possibly a blockage of some sort in the fuel line may be a possibility. Keep the thoughts coming. Thanks again.
David
Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

First read the code that the Onan gives at any shutdown. If it's a 1 or a 3, there will be a secondary code that is usually very precise as to the cause. The codes are in your Onan manual, or online if you can't find your copy.

What about the air cleaner? And are you using the preheat (makes a ticking sound as you hold down the switch). If it's not doing it automatically when you press start, push & hold stop for 15-20 seconds to manually activate the preheater. Then start.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I was wrong as usual, about the fuel filter not being the culprit. Replaced the filter and away we go. I did get the Code of 36, which indicated a fuel problem, but that is a first with a filter not passing fuel.
That makes me suspicious now, about the main engine and water seperator filters, which I just replaced. I am just returning from a trip, so I hope that I didn't pickup some dirty fuel someplace. Tried to use regular Truck fueling stations when refilling(Ginny quit working on the way home). I'm going to carry a spare main engine fuel filter just in case. Thanks again for all of the assistance.
David
Old 10-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #11

If it over heats it will shut down how about your coolant level? Just a thought.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #12

Quote:
And are you using the preheat (makes a ticking sound as you hold down the switch). If it's not doing it automatically when you press start, push & hold stop for 15-20 seconds to manually activate the preheater. Then start.
Hmmmm. That might be a good tip. The Onan 7.5kW diesel in mine just doesn't like cold weather starts and even though the auto heat (glow plugs??? or air-intake heater???) sequence sounds as if it is working, it obviously isn't and the only way I can get it going is to use the same trick that works on 8V71 two strokes - turn the starter over for a few seconds, rest and repeat as required. The compression heats the air and that eventually heats the cylinder head and walls enough to act like an air preheater.

Ether also works in emergencies but I don't like using it.

Tags
diesel, generator, onan