Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 05:15 AM   #1

Generator Slide Creeps

I have a generator slide that runs on hydraulic motor.
The slide creeps, about 1 inch in 8hrs or so.

I have tried the following so far, but no success yet

1. Ran the generator slide out using IN/OUT switch until its end (open or close) and hear the motor pitch change thereby indicating build up of pressure, for a few seconds past the stops.Slide still creeps out in a few hours.

2. Open both the solenoid valves (one for retract and another for extend) T handle by hand (turn it counterclockwise a few times) all the way out. The slide immediately retracts (so there is pressure). And then close the valves (by turning T handle clockwise) and hand tighten them. The slide creeps over a few hours again.

Any other suggestion would be great!

thanks
jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you may be low on fluid.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #3

I'm not sure if this is the case on a generator slide but , I had a wall slide that would creep out as we were driving once. There was an electric brake that held the slide tight against the wall but the brake had failed and allowed the slide to vibrate out as we drove.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #4

This is a hydraulic slide. There are no brakes on a hydraulic slide. The fluid pressure keeps the slide in place.

I am guessing it has something to do with the extend/retract solenoids or seals in them or maybe there is air in the lines from the last time (last week) when i was practicing how to close the generator slide manually in case the hydraulic systems fail

I will check on the fluid level, but i am pretty sure i am covered there.
thanks
jim
Old 07-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not a hydraulic wizard by any stretch, but logic would dictate a leak to the ground, in the seal or a valve allowing fluid back to the resevior.

I suppose air in the lines could cause this to a certain point, until it was fully compressed. I'm thinking if it only retracts 1" in a day, have you left it for severals days to see if it keeps going or until all or most pressure was gone?
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
I'm not a hydraulic wizard by any stretch, but logic would dictate a leak to the ground, in the seal or a valve allowing fluid back to the resevior.

I suppose air in the lines could cause this to a certain point, until it was fully compressed. I'm thinking if it only retracts 1" in a day, have you left it for severals days to see if it keeps going or until all or most pressure was gone?
I haven't tried for several days. I will do it now and see what comes out
thanks
jim
Old 07-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
Had a problem with hydraulic side slides on a previous coach. Didn't happen often in winter, but they would creep in summer. I sorta figured the oil was getting warm and expanding, but that was just me guessing.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #8

IMO, there is some air trapped in the lines somewhere, due to low oil level at some time. Oil-or any liquid, cannot be compressed like air. Often, the mfgr. puts a safety lock/pin on the slide mechanism to prevent this from happening unintentionally. My genset is air-operated, Winnebago states in their owners manual to always use the safety lock; otherwise a quick stop may allow the genset to extend accidentally.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, slide