Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2007, 03:08 AM   #1
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Our Journey has a 7.5 Onan diesel generator. It's has approx 150 hrs on it, I chance the oil and filter every spring. The generator starts normally, runs a minute or so, than stalls. Can't restart it immediately, but after a short wait, it does restart and then continues to run normally for however long I want. This began happening this summer, happens under varied weather and temp conditions. At first I thought fuel filter, but doesn't explain why it restarts and runs normally after the initial stall (only stalls once per useage).

Has anyone else experienced this problem with their generator? Any clues as to the problem?

gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2007, 03:08 AM   #2
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Our Journey has a 7.5 Onan diesel generator. It's has approx 150 hrs on it, I chance the oil and filter every spring. The generator starts normally, runs a minute or so, than stalls. Can't restart it immediately, but after a short wait, it does restart and then continues to run normally for however long I want. This began happening this summer, happens under varied weather and temp conditions. At first I thought fuel filter, but doesn't explain why it restarts and runs normally after the initial stall (only stalls once per useage).

Has anyone else experienced this problem with their generator? Any clues as to the problem?

Old 12-01-2007, 05:11 AM   #3

sounds like the the automatic choke is sticking or turns off just a little to fast ? should be just a minor adjustment
Old 12-01-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
Does a diesel have a choke?

Just a quick thought, but if the Onan is in the 02 coach with only 150 hours I still wonder if the filter is not the problem. Is it picking up trash or debris that stops the flow and when the engine stops the back flow of fuel is washing the trash back from the filter? Or, is the fuel line synthetic instead of metal and is collapsing under a load and then springing back into shape when suction stops?
Old 12-01-2007, 08:11 AM   #5

This sounds like a fuel problem. Something like the fuel line is draining and getting air. It has enough fuel to start, then the air hits it and causes the engine to stop. By then fuel is entering the line from the tank and when you restart it runs OK. When the generator stops you should get an error code. Read the code and see what the owners manual says. There will be a primary and a secondary code somethine like 30 - 44. The first code will only tell you it needs service and the second code will tell what the actual problem is. Hopefully it will indicate no fuel.

I would change the fuel filter and while you are under the generator do a close and detailed inspection of the rubber fuel hoses. I have heard of cracked hoses causing the identical problem you have. You will need a flashlight and when you check the hoses twist and tug on them. A fine line crack is hard to find, but it will let air in. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:15 AM   #6
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks for your input... I have bought a new fuel filter and intend to install it, as soon as we get a little warmer. High temp is only forecasted to be 30 ish today. while I'm in and under there, I'll take a look at the fuel lines as well.

Kinda strange it only stalls once and only right after it's been running a minute or so, under light or no load.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My generator did the same thing before I started to run it more often and longer.

Manual says to wait 15 seconds before restarting.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
[QUOTE]High temp is only forecasted to be 30 ish today [/QUOTE

Don't blame you. Good time to sit around and read forums
Old 12-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #9

Mine has an issue with the electrical connector on the injector pump. It will start and then stop or start, run awhile, and then stop.

It has gotten progressively worse and I was finally able to find the problem (connector). Now I have to go outside and wiggle the connector a few times and then it will stay running.

Just a thought. But I would start with the fuel filter first.

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:57 PM   #10
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Thanks for all your input...

I waited for a warm day to change the fuel filter, and today was the day. It warmed up to 40 degs! Took about 30-40 minutes to change the filter, not counting the time to clear snow away from in front of the Journey..

I used an Onan Fuel Filter, part no. 149-2513. Tools, 7/16" & 5/8" open end wrenches for the fuel lines and 1/2" wrench to remove the mounting nut, used to secure the filter. I removed the small filter compartment cover door completely to improve access. Didn't have to, but used the jacks to raise up the front end a couple of inches.

To catch fuel that ran out, and some did, I used an old 1 gallon container, left the handle intact, to hold it by, and cut away the rest of the top, worked great.

Careful reconnecting the upper hose, it looks like it's easy to cross thread.

After priming the generator, it took a couple of attempts to start before it finally kicked in. Once running, it didn't stall and handled a load fine. Left it running under load for about 30 minutes, no problem. Real test will be next month when I run it again.