Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #1

Generator vs solar Question

Hi all!

I just bought a new to me 2007 22ft Winnebago Chalet. It did not come with a generator. I have looked into getting a Cummings onan 4000kw but the price for it with install is close to $5000.00 ouch! What would be a good model generator that's not to loud and won't cost $5000.00. Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HethaBeth View Post
Hi all!

I just bought a new to me 2007 22ft Winnebago Chalet. It did not come with a generator. I have looked into getting a Cummings onan 4000kw but the price for it with install is close to $5000.00 ouch! What would be a good model generator that's not to loud and won't cost $5000.00. Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated!
How much do you plan on dry camping? Propane or diesel? Full time? Help us out here.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #3

Most of the 5th wheel owners I see have either Honda or Yamaha generators.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #4

Sorry, dry camping for a week at a time 3 to 4 times a year. Mostly dry camping on weekends.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #5

Propane for fridge and stove ...
Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Honda 2000i if you just want to run a microwave or charger, Honda 3000i if you need AC or the Yamaha equivalents. I even carry my old 2000i that I bought for my truck camper when I boondock our 37' Quiet Diesel equipped coach for a little quieter experience when I just need a quick charge and high amp draw stuff isn't being used.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Yeah, unfortunately, the permanent mount gens seem crazy expensive. Not really sure why they are so much. It's convenient to only have one gas tank and to be able to use them on the road but other than that, they are often louder and use more fuel than the portable ones so it's hard to justify the coast. One thing though is that most Class A / Class C buyer expects an onboard gen so you'll take a hit on resale if you don't have one.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #8

I have an onboard Gen set but it is to loud and vibrates to much. I carry TWO 2000k hondas. I use one if that is all I need but if I need AC I use both. Cost is about $1800 for the pair versus $2000 for a 3000k Honda which is far heavier to handle. I see these Powerhouse gen sets for half the cost and they state they are as quite as the Hondas.

Mark

Mark

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
As to solar, it really depends on how much juice you use. I have all LED lighting, and have dry camped for 2 weeks, running the furnace 45 minutes per day, a 2 amp cell phone amp/router 24/7, a laptop that draws 9 amps @ 12V for 2-3 hours per day & make a pot of coffee using an inverter that draws 60 amps for 6 minutes every morning. All this with a 95 watt panel & 2 225 amp/hr 6V batteries. The controller showed the batteries back to 100% at the end of every day, usually by noon.

I don't use a microwave, which can be a heavy draw. Obviously, a larger trailer is likely to use more but you can build quite a solar system & battery bank for $5K...

vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote