Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2006, 09:12 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep, Know what ya mean.If ya have a multi-tester I'd staet testing the wires and also looking for any 'nests' they may have made. I found mine on top of the gas tank. they had chewed through the wiring to the genset and thru the fuel line hoses as well. Dropping the gas tank is no fun by yourself.Maybe make a beer party out of that.Good luck in your testing and let us know if you find the problem and what is was,Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2006, 04:19 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I picked up the coach yesterday, they decided they didn't want to rebuild the carburater. I pulled the carb and it seemed to check out OK, reinstalled it and it actually got started and ran for a few minutes, then died and here we go again. I did order a new carb just in case. Is anyone sure as to the meaning of the four red diagnostic lights behind the controller panel? I had all the info ten years ago, but my mind is not what it used to be. I'll keep you posted.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:28 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dan, got the thing started this AM, ran it for an hour and a half. Still very hard to start, when I put it under a heavy load, I get some "blow by" back through the carb, I've still got a carb coming and am going to replace the plugs again, I'm sure they are fuel fowled somewhat. When I disassembled the carb and cleaned it, everything seem to be functioning just fine (ther isn't really much to the carb anyway) Now I have over sixty hours on the set oh boy! Have a good turkey day!
Old 11-21-2006, 02:27 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Jim, Do you have a in-line fuel filter installed? Is the fuel pump a electric or some kind of manuel pump? I know that the electric fuel pump on mine went intermittant and drove me nuts {not far to go!!} until I got a fuel pump tester and then I found the screen was plugged. I put a in-line filter in before the fuel pump and cleaned the screen and no more problems.
One other question, Does the genset have a shared fuel tank or it's own fuel tank? If shared, how much fuel is in the tank? the Manufacters put a seperate "fuel line" for the genset if the motorhome came with the genset from the factory. If this is the case you could be running out of gas even if the tank gage says 1/4 or so.
I still don't think its the carb. I'm still picking my old brain for other ideas. Hope this helps in some way. If not, let us know and I may kick my o'le brain into remembering what other problem and fixes on our old genset I had.
Later man,Dan
Old 11-25-2006, 01:29 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dan, I've changed the filter, plenty of fuel to the carb, it is plumbed into the coach tank, that was my first concern in Montana when it quit. I'm still waiting on the new carb (must be delivered by tortoise)All electrical wiring seems good. I have tracked down the repair and parts manuals on e-bay and am again patiently waiting. Sure am glad I haven't needed it in the past few weeks! I disassembled the carb and sprayed carb cleaner through every port and all seems fine. I'll let you know what happens, hopefully we'll both be surprised.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:59 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Jim, Man,From the posts here I'd say you have maybe two areas to check. A float that is stuck or leaking or a relay that is intermentant in its operation. Have you checked All the grounds. I know that my Owan has a ground post inside the control box that I check every year to make sure it is clean and tight. Try grounding out the oil pressure switch and see if that makes any difference.
If the float is sticking it could flood or starve the engine of fuel. If the grounds are corodded that will cause interittant operation. If any of the relays are not grounded they will be intermittant also. If the oil pressure switch is partualy plugged try removing it and cleaning it with some carb cleaner and try again or ground the wire and see if the motor will start up again.It Has to be something stupid and simple and it will drive most people crazy untill you find it. Most times it turns out to be something soo simple you want to kick yourself. Those would be my areas that I'd try. good luck and let us know what you find. Dan
Old 11-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are probably right on the relay, I finally received the $240 carburater and guess what? It still does the same thing. NOW if I can get BRAZELS to reimburse me for my expenditures I'll continue on! I'm waiting on the repair manual to show up now, maybe it will give me some idea on the functioning of the lights behind the controller panel. If not, I will probabbly take it to the shop in Tacoma, Wa, they fixed it before (first time). I'll keep you updated. Thank you for the information, I'll keep checking.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Capt Dan, after receiving the repair manuals and downloading an engine manual, I traced it down to a leaky valve system. I delivered it to Tacoma Diesel, the service manager said that the valve guides and valve stems had worn and with the loss of compression, the unit would not start. He can't get to it til' around the week of the 8th so I'm in a waiting pattern again. I'll let you know the outcome. He also said that kohler hasn't made air cooled generators for six years now, and the valve guide problem is a well known indicator of a no start condition. Still baffles me with only 60 hours!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #23

Valve stems and guides worn out after 60 hours, wow! The engine is probably not even broken in well yet. What brand and weight of oil is in the engine?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
AH, NO!! I don't buy that and makes NO since or cents eather! Find another dealer and RUN!,not walk!!
Old 01-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #25
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If that GEN was built in 97 like coach was and only 60 hours running time everything rubber must be dried up.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:59 PM   #26
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Check your fule line from on top of your gas tank. They can break down on the inside and cause either a fuel cut off after running or crap to come through the line.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Whats up Crazy Jim? Hope you have good news!
Old 02-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #28

Crazy Jim, don't leave us now, this whole thing has been like an old fashioned Saturday movie serial. So, as Capt. Dan said: What's up?

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35'
Art E is offline   Reply With Quote