Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
have a kohler 4kw with a no start, have spark, tried auxillary fuel(to eliminate fuel system problem)no start. changed plugs, no start, has voltage to fuel pump,choke,pre-heater, disabled low oil pressure shut down, no start yet. Have pretty much narrowed it down to stator or regulator. Have two lights and an occasional third light behind controller panel during crank HELP! fuse are all good
crazy jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2006, 01:21 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
have a kohler 4kw with a no start, have spark, tried auxillary fuel(to eliminate fuel system problem)no start. changed plugs, no start, has voltage to fuel pump,choke,pre-heater, disabled low oil pressure shut down, no start yet. Have pretty much narrowed it down to stator or regulator. Have two lights and an occasional third light behind controller panel during crank HELP! fuse are all good
Old 11-10-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Well, the old saw about "air fuel and spark applies. If you are sure its getting spark and fuel, could the air intake be clogged somehow?

Did you test for a good spark or just change the plugs? A new spark plug is still no good if a nice hot spark isn't coming up the plug wire...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome crazy jim to irv2.
Hows your house batteries, does the starter crank, did you check your ground wires from GEN & batteries to frame of chassis?
Let us know how your making out.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:27 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm baffled by that too, I'm retired military, was a mechanic and always swore by: if you have fuel and spark at the right time it has to run. The spark is there (not the bluest in the world) The fuel added was carb cleaner/WD40 which was introduced directly into the induction system, which should have by all means ignited. The generator had the same problem when new, the stator was replaced and it worked fine (10 years ago). I guess a wire corrodes and when the start is released the spark stops. It has now been diagnosed as a bad carburator, but I have my doubts, I'm not a kohler mechanic, but the unit has less than 60 hours on it.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Jim, when you do get it running, run it every month for a couple of hours and a good load on it. You should have a lot more than 60 hours on a 10 year old generator. The carburator may not be the only problem but the fuel could have evaporated and varnished up the needle and seat area when it cannot get fueled properly. If you must store it put Stabil in the fuel and run the generator to get that mixture into the carberator bowl. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 03:37 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This may not be right. On my Onan, if the generator did not synchronize with the electrical (60 HZ), then it would shut itself down. My issue was always a stuck brush (from road dirt). Once I freed the brush, the system started and stayed running. I had the same issue with it stopping after release of the starter button.

2017 F150 Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The very low hours suggests that the carb is indeed varnished up from lack of use. That is effectively a lack of fuel and/or air in the engine, since the carb is not properly mixing air and fuel to get a combustible charge into the cylinder. Rebuild or replace the carb and I'll bet your problems will be over.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:48 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm still waiting on the carburetor rebuild. I have started and run the generator every month since new, but only about 20 to 30 minutes. It was running fine, just used it the AM before it died four hours later. Thanks for all the info, hopefully next week I'll have my coach back(with an operational generator) my pocket book will probably be $600.00 lighter though!
Old 11-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It was running fine, just used it the AM before it died four hours later. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was running when it died? If it quit while it was running, that's a different symptom than "won't start after having been shut down for awhile".
Old 11-12-2006, 06:49 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, it was running for about two hours earlier in the day, I restarted it later in the day to use the micro wave, by the time I got back to the micro wave, the generator had quit.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:22 PM   #12

Most small engines have a magneto ignition on the flywheel for spark. If the key holding the flywheel shears and the flywheel spins on the crankshaft any at all it allows the flywheel magnet to create the spark at the wrong time.
FWIW, carburetor cleaner is not a fuel. It will stop an engine without gasoline or substitute fuel.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:55 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi,Thr carb cleaner will start the genset.If spark was off, then would have backfire from carb. or ext. I'd say electric fuel pump or... Check wiring to see if any mice have been chewing on it.Mine started but when I releaced teh start button it stopped. came to find out that the mice had chewed on my harnas to the inside remote panel. unplugged it and the thing started up and ran like new. Lesson learned!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:56 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Capt Dan, at least someone understands the purpose of the carb cleaner(auxillary fuel) I too feel it is elctrical, by the way I'm still waiting for the carb to be rebuilt???