Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #1

Generator won't start

Recently had the fuel hose on the drivers side lowered a little to help with fueling. Before it was almost impossible to fuel on the drivers side as there was not enough drop in the fuel line and the foaming would keep cutting off the pump. Fueling much better now but the generator won't start. I can hear it making a clicking sound but doesn't turn over. I don't think it's getting fuel. Could it have lost it's prime? Never a problem before. Taking it back into the shop tomorrow but thought someone might have a suggestion for what to look for.

Thanks,
RJ
2014 33AA Tiffin RED

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 03:35 PM   #2

A clicking sound is low battery or bad cable connection.

It's possible they undid the ground cable connection, while moving the fuel fill.

Have you tried with the boost switch held on ?

Old 10-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #3

Twin Boat,
Where is the bost switch. I have an aux start is that it? House battery is 12.7 and chassis battery is 12.53.
Thanks
Old 10-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #4

Aux start and boost same thing.

Watch the volts while pushing gen start. If it drops way low, probably bad connection.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #5

Thanks for all your help. Here is what I know. I had not tried to start the generator since I picked up the MH Saturday and the generator probably hadn't been started in a couple of weeks. However, I did check both the house and chassis batteries and all were fully charged. Normally I park the MH in back of our home but for the last couple of days it's been parked in our drive which slopes nose down. The front of the MH would be lower than the rear. I have since moved the MH to a level spot, pressed the aux start, held it down and then pressed the gen start. It started in a few seconds. I checked and the battery charger was off. Don't know why it was off but turned it back on. I let the gen run with both ACs on for about an hour. Turned everything off and shut down the generator. Waited a couple of minutes and the generator started with no problem. I'll let it set overnight and check it again in the morning. At this point it is not plugged into shore power but will be soon.

Could it be that when re-positioning the fuel line that the generator lost fuel and then by trying to start it with the MH not level caused the problem? I would think first that it was the batteries but they were charged. Guess tomorrow will tell.

Any thoughts? Again thanks.

RJ
Old 10-05-2015, 10:14 PM   #6

How much fuel did you have in the tank?
Old 10-05-2015, 10:20 PM   #7

Totally full. Before changing the line could only get 3/4 of a tank.

Tags
generator