Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
Generator Wont Start..Help!

Last weekend my family and I took a trip from our home in Buffalo to Hartford, CT..on the way home we got stuck in the middle of a REALLY bad snow storm and literally drove 35 mph from Albany all the way back to Buffalo...about 30 mins from home the genny quit and won't restart.

I get fault code 36 which i know is typically fuel pump related, but this is a BRAND NEW Genny...around 50 hours on it total.

It had been running for quite a long time because we were boon docking the night before (below zero temps) and was concerned that it or fuel line would freeze up and not restart....(we needed the micro to work because we needed to be able to heat up the water necessary for warming our newborns bottles.

It tries to start, will smoke a lot ....and occasionally will run rough for about 5 secs then quit again......ive been traveling all week for business so haven't been able to mess with it, but hoping to sort it out when i get home this afternoon as we want to take another trip this weekend.

Onan DQ 8000
plenty of fuel in the tank

Plugged air filter?
Frozen Fuel Line?

scpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
Second thought....its not BAD to be driving and have it running in snow/rain conditions is it?? Could it have ingested water/moisture??

Old 02-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #3
I would wonder if you got bad diesel that clogged the fuel filter.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
scpenn--no problem at all running these gennies while you drive. I have read on this forum that occasionally travel in heavy rains have flooded an elec component or two (parts that control the auto-start), but that doesn't sound like your problem, and it's unrelated to whether you were running it or not.

when you say "a lot of smoke" i wonder if it's white smoke--suggestive that maybe you do have water in your fuel? is your's a gas or diesel coach?

in any event, since it's brand new, i'd be talking to the dealer who sold you the rv and let them sort it out. not satisfying, i know particularly if you have to drive it a long way to your dealership, and/or if their service dept is back-logged. but with a new rig, i find that it's best to let the dealership take care of these problems within the (typically 1-year) warranty period.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
It's just the generator that is new, I had to replace it last summer with only 300 hours on it ...long story..LOL

It's a diesel, and yes the smoke is white
Old 02-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
Take out the air filter and see if dry.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
How low was the fuel in the fuel tank when the generator quit. Could have run out of fuel??? I ran mine out of fuel one time and it took a while to restart. I would change fuel filter and air filter, when you try to start I would go through the priming cycle several times.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:06 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to DIYRVGuy
Diesel Kleen sells a product for gelled fuel, 911 fuel conditioner. A bottle of 911 would be a good starting point. Remove the air filter, check for ice build up or plugging. Fuel filter replacement another good option. Start with the 911 and replace the fuel filters.
Troy & Erica Tikalsky
1985 BlueBird Wanderlodge
DIYRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:40 PM   #9

(Engine stopped without command by controller)
Corrective Action:
1. Check fuel level. (Note: The genset fuel pickup is probably higher than the vehicle engine pickup.)
2. Prime the engine fuel system if the genset ran out of fuel (p. 4-1).
3. Check for fuel and air leaks at each fitting in the fuel supply line. (Note: White smoke indicates air
in the fuel.)
4. Check the engine air filter and remove any blockage.
5. Check for mechanical damage.
6. Check auxiliary fuel pump (if equipped).
7. Conduct a fuel flow test and service as necessary (p. 14-1).
8. Remove the front and top housing panels (p. 6-4) and disconnect engine harness connectors P1 and
P2 from the controller (p. 19-1, 19-4, 10-2). Check for missing, bent or corroded connector pins and
faulty wiring and repair as necessary.
9. Service the engine (p. 12-1).
'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:09 PM   #10
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Make sure you have at least 1/2 tank of fuel.
The pickup for the genny stops getting fuel at the 1/4 tank mark.

2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2014 Jeep Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -South Orange County Ca.
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Check your genny fluids. Oil and coolant need to be right. This is a small oil sump engine and you could have used more oil because it is new. Also, I think it may be time for the first oil change. After that they are longer in interval. Check me on this one. If the above is good check the engine code. You could have a real problem or just a bad sensor (as I did on my last coach generator). Cummins with help you out if you call them with the spec and sn.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What is your definition of "plenty of fuel" ? . These things can act funny with 1/2 of a tank of fuel. If you are at that level, fill it up and sit on the primer side of the start button for at least 30 seconds.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #13
The Onan QD 8000 that was installed in our then brand new 2013 MoHo had a faulty diode in the fuel pump. This was a known and common problem, not to us of course, and there had been a sort of recall which we were not told about when we bought the coach. It threw a 36 code of course. So, check to see if your Genny was shipped with one of these too. We had to get a shop to fix it to stay in warranty. I could have changed it myself and paid for the new fuel pump and been ahead. I had to tell the repair guy how to do it.The clowns at Fleetwood and Onan Cummins seem to let everyone learn the hard way.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #14
Thanks for all the great input....... I finally got around to looking at it.....crawled up underneath (in the snow! LOL) the whole underside of the generator was a sheet of ice....so i chipped it all off, and changed the air filter which was completely black with rock salt/ash debris from the road...... no more code 36, but now Im getting code 32 (low cranking) and black smoke...... which I guess means too rich...but maybe thats because its low cranking now that the airways are clear.......

So....i fired up the coach to ensure full juice to batteries......and it seemed to crank a little faster, but still the same result...code 32. Is it possible that it is just so damn cold it won't crank? Obviously its getting fuel if Im getting black smoke. I mean its been below zero all week here....I have it in our barn, but still....its COLD!! LOL

FYI Ive got 3/4 tank of fuel, and I always put diesel treatment in with every fill up over the last month..... main engine is running fine.

Ive thought of going to lowes and buying on of those kerosene bullet heaters and aiming it in that direction to try and thaw it out.