Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #1

Genny wont start

Just got new MH yesterday. The gen cranks over like crazy but doesnt sound like it's getting fuel. Has extremely low hours(38) and just ran a week ago for 6 hours. Wondering if it has it's own fuel filter that I can replace or if there is something else easy I might be overlooking since this is new to me?
Also I assume the gen has its own fuel pump. If so is it an electric fuel pump and is it in the fuel tank(hope not) or mounted on or near the genny?
I read the thread on priming and mine doesn't appear to have that capability. It is an Onan 4.0 Microlite but I'm not sure what it means by spec A-H and spec J. Is it referring to a letter in the model # or S/N? It only has 2 switches. One is the ckt bkr and the other is a rocker switch labeled start and stop(no "off" position).

Thanks for any help.

If it won't budge, hit it harder or get a bigger hammer.
RLKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel, Generator suction only goes 3/4 into tank.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #3

Also, check the oil level.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #4

Yes. But to be clear it was just over 1/4 tank when I first tried. I filled it to just over 3/4 on the way home and still just keeps cranking. Also, yes, oil level was the first thing I checked.
Are you saying the gen won't run anytime there is less than 3/4 of a tank? That sounds like too much chance for genny to not work when you need it. Very few people keep their fuel tank above 3/4 at all times. I know I always fill mine when I'm around 1/4.

Thanks for the input

Old 12-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #5

RLKBOB, what he was saying is you need to be over 1/4 fuel or so. The rig is set up so if you are running the gen set it will shut down around 1/4. That leaves you enough fuel to get to a station.

I have a buddy who has the 400 in his C, does the same as yours, cranks but will not start. I told him to check/replace the fuel filter. If that does not work going to fill the bowl drain with carb cleaner and try to start it. He does not want to use starting fluid unless we can not get it to start anyother way. However his has not been run in over a year. And yes, we did check the bowl for gum, but he is sure that his late fater in law drained it prior to putting it away. I will be watching this post for other things to check. It is getting fire, so I am sure it is a fuel issue on his.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #6

That makes sense, thanks.

If it stopped working b/c the fuel tank was down to 1/4 and the Genny lost fuel how much cranking would it take after filling the gas tank to get fuel through all the lines and back into the genny and get it running?

Old 12-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #7

Got it running.

Fuel level must've been the problem. The PO ran the gas tank down to 1/4 and the genny lost suction. I filled it up but apparently it takes a lot of cranking to get the fuel lines filled back up all the way to the carb on the genny. Running smooth and strong(it should be with only 38 hours). I'm gonna leave it running for an hour or two with the furnace on. Now that it's running there are absolutely zero problems with our new purchase.

First good bit of info is keep fuel level above 1/4 tank. I'm sure there will be many more lessons learned as time goes on. Glad to have a good forum with lots of info and helpful members. Thanks!

Old 12-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #8

I started my 10K Onan diesel one day, not even thinking about how much fuel I had on board. It didn't even run 30 seconds. That's when I learned about priming...

Your's won't run the fuel pump after holding down on the stop button for a few seconds?
Old 12-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #9

You will find a number simular to 4KYFA26100J on the generator model number plate. The last letter, "J" in this example, represents the "Spec" number of the unit. Only Spec "J" and later models had priming capability. The START-STOP switch would read START-STOP/PRIME if the PRIME capability was there.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #10

Good to know, thanks. I wonder if there is a retrofit to allow the older Gens to prime. Without priming capability it seems like a lot of unnecessary strain on the starter cranking it over and over until the line fills with gas. Then again this should only be an issue if you run the fuel tank too low so I guess if the fuel tank level stays high enough priming shouldn't be necessary(ok done rambling now). Thanks again