Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I visited the Cummins-Onan booth while attending the FMCA Rally in Pomona back in February. I spoke with a Cummins-Onan rep. and explained that my diesel genset had no autostart feature, and asked how I could install one. My main reason for wanting such a system is to preserve the life of our dog. Last summer the campground that we were staying in lost power while we were away for the day. It was over 90 degrees outside, and our poor Chihuahua was dehydrated by the time we returned. An autostart feature would start the genset, thereby re-starting the A/C, preventing any re-occurrences.

The Cummins-Onan rep. handed me a brochure showing several different Energy Command units. He recommended the EC-30. It retails for only $220, but can take 8-10 hours to install, even for an experienced technician.

The brochure also listed a wireless version called the EC-30W. The EC-30W is a handheld wireless controller. It "talks" to a module that installs directly onto the genset, and can start the genset when a pre-programmed temperature is exceeded inside the coach. Best of all, it can easily be installed by the RV owner in less that an hour, according to the rep.

I decided to install the EC-30W with summer coming on, so I called my local Cummins-Onan dealer. The parts person acted like I was crazy and said that no such wireless controller existed. I could find no direct phone number for the Cummins-Onan factory, but did locate an email address. Long story short (I know....too late for that...), the factory rep. told me he didn't know why I was given the brochure, as the EC-30W has not been released yet. I was told that it "may" be out by the end of the year, and there was indication on what it would sell for.

Since the EC-30 wired version will cost me about $1K to install, I'm willing to wait until the wireless version becomes available. I will just make sure we leave our RV windows open should we leave our dog alone again, or better yet, take him with us.

Just thought I'd pass this along, in case some of you were interested in adding the same feature.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I visited the Cummins-Onan booth while attending the FMCA Rally in Pomona back in February. I spoke with a Cummins-Onan rep. and explained that my diesel genset had no autostart feature, and asked how I could install one. My main reason for wanting such a system is to preserve the life of our dog. Last summer the campground that we were staying in lost power while we were away for the day. It was over 90 degrees outside, and our poor Chihuahua was dehydrated by the time we returned. An autostart feature would start the genset, thereby re-starting the A/C, preventing any re-occurrences.

The Cummins-Onan rep. handed me a brochure showing several different Energy Command units. He recommended the EC-30. It retails for only $220, but can take 8-10 hours to install, even for an experienced technician.

The brochure also listed a wireless version called the EC-30W. The EC-30W is a handheld wireless controller. It "talks" to a module that installs directly onto the genset, and can start the genset when a pre-programmed temperature is exceeded inside the coach. Best of all, it can easily be installed by the RV owner in less that an hour, according to the rep.

I decided to install the EC-30W with summer coming on, so I called my local Cummins-Onan dealer. The parts person acted like I was crazy and said that no such wireless controller existed. I could find no direct phone number for the Cummins-Onan factory, but did locate an email address. Long story short (I know....too late for that...), the factory rep. told me he didn't know why I was given the brochure, as the EC-30W has not been released yet. I was told that it "may" be out by the end of the year, and there was indication on what it would sell for.

Since the EC-30 wired version will cost me about $1K to install, I'm willing to wait until the wireless version becomes available. I will just make sure we leave our RV windows open should we leave our dog alone again, or better yet, take him with us.

Just thought I'd pass this along, in case some of you were interested in adding the same feature.

Craig

Old 04-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Xantrex makes some remotes that include the autogen start feature as part of the inverter remote control panel. Don't know if it would be any cheaper, but might be worth looking into if you already have a Xantrex inverter.

If your genset has a remote start switch, all the auto gen start thing has to do is trigger that switch to start the gen.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll do that. Thanks Gary!

Craig

Old 05-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The EC-30 is a lot of work to install - I have one on my '07 Bus. It's not hard but it's labor intensive. That's why the bill is so high. You need to run lots of wires up to your EC-30 panel so if you want to try it yourself you can save a ton of money. The EC-30 is clearly the Cadillac of all AGS modules. It even has predictive technology in that it'll predict that you'll need to run your genset to charge the batteries and if that happens to occur within a programmed quiet time, it'll start up early, charge the batteries, and then be done when quiet time starts.

The Xantrex inverter control panels that do have AGS features, such as the RC-7GS, only monitor battery voltage. If you want a full featured AGS module that also monitors cooling requests from the A/C thermostat you'll need to have an RS2000 or RS3000 inverter. It's system control panel can monitor their optional AGS module. Unfortunately, you'll have to install a shore power fired relay to break the connection from the thermostat to the AGS because it'll start the genset every time the thermostat calls for cooling, even when shore power is present. The nice thing about the EC-30 is that they have an optional shore power transformer to prevent that from happening.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #6

I installed the EC-30 in our coach & love it. Luckily, most all circuits are available behind our EMS panel in the hallway. I did have to run a wire forward to the Ignition circuit & another one to the coach battery, and installed my shore power sense transformer on my transfer switch. I did have a fairly easy path to the bottom of the coach thru the bathroom sink.

I can see where the install cost could be quite high if one had to run cables throughout the coach.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Because the EC-30 would be so complicated to install, I'm thinking seriously about trying something else. I could attempt it myself, but I'm afraid I'd have serious problems trying to route the wires from where I'd mount the unit (overhead console) to the rest of the coach. I'm not afraid of the work involved, I'm just weary that I'd run into a roadblock trying to route cables and have to take it to a professional in the end to complete it.

I am now seriously considering the Intellitec Generator Logic Control, since I already have an Intellitec EC monitor. It doesn't have all of the sweet features of the EC-30, but it seems like it would be easier to install, since all the wiring would be done at the front of the coach. I'm still wondering however how I would route wires from the overhead console, around the windshield, to the dash where my genset start button is. Would I need a shore power fired relay or shore power transformer with this unit?

Again, I'd really like to go with the EC-30....it retails for less than any of the other options, I'm just not sure I could pull off the install. The unit's brochure even cautions that it would be a difficult job for a non-professional.

Craig