Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2007, 09:07 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
We are out at La Posa Tyson Wash Quartzsite & have been here since 1/19. We have run the genset about 2 hours each day & when I tried to start the Genset today it will not run.
It starts but then dies right away.
I get the 3 blink code that indicates a service fault. After I press stop I get a fault code 32.
That is Low cranking speed fault.
I have checked all the Corrective actions the the book says to do & no change. It was a little low on oil & I have topped it off.
Tomorrow morning I am going to drain the oil & put all new oil in & see if that does anything.

Any Ideas what to try next???

MikeCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2007, 09:07 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We are out at La Posa Tyson Wash Quartzsite & have been here since 1/19. We have run the genset about 2 hours each day & when I tried to start the Genset today it will not run.
I get the 3 blink code that indicates a service fault. After I press stop I get a fault code 32.
I have checked all the Corrective actions the the book says to do & no change. It was a little low on oil & I have topped it off.
Tomorrow morning I am going to drain the oil & put all new oil in & see if that does anything.

Any Ideas what to try next???

Old 01-25-2007, 03:10 AM   #3

Mike, I'm sure you have thought of low fuel, you know, less than 1/4 tank. All I can think of is faulty sensor or fuel filter issue.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:35 AM   #4

Mike, seems likely that it's run out of fuel. However, very low coach batteries may be playing a role here. I presume you do not have shore power at your campsite. Take a look at your house batteries and make sure the water is up to the ring in each cell. Then start your chassis engine and make sure your coach power switch (by entry door) is "On". Give it about 20 minutes to charge by the engine alternator. Then try starting the genny. (I'm just assuming your batteries are too low to crank over the genny fast enough to start, and that the water is low in the battery cells which really makes batteries go weak quickly; -i.e.- your 2-hour daily charge regimen wasn't very effective if batteries were low on water).
Keep us posted, OK?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Try running coach engine, than start GEN, if batts are low.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MikeCoke:

Any Ideas what to try next??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When mine did that it turned out to be a broken fan belt. Would let the gen start but sensor (overtemp?) would turn off gen right away.

If not that it sounds like it is not getting enough fuel.

Good luck.

Ed

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:37 PM   #7

Our Onan did the same thing. We don't have any of the fancy displays that tells you what is wrong. But ours did exactly what yours did. Turned out a fuse had blown (it was one in the generator). Replaced the fuse and it cranked right up. Would your generator tell you if it was a fuse?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:31 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the replys, but I guess I did not give enough info.
The gererator start but quits after a few seconds.
The batteries are fully charged not low on water cables are tight.
My solar panels are keeping my batteries up & running the generator 2 hours from 7pm to 9pm while I watch TV will charge them to between 90% & fully charged.
My gas tank is over 3/4 full & the fuel pump pumps fuel when the start switch is press to prime.
I have checked the air filter & I have even drained the oil & filled the genset with new oil. A friend parked next to us has his rig setup so I can plug into his rig & get 30 amp service from him when he runs his genset.
I will hit the Onan repair center in Avondale just West of Phoenix On our way home Monday morning.
Mike
Old 01-28-2007, 10:07 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike

Have you ever changed the fuel filters for the gen set. There are two of them. Might be that you gen set is not getting enough fuel.

Wish I was in Quartzsite.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:56 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
George I could not find any fuel filter I had thought that might be the problem, but I pulled the fuel line off where it attaches to the Genny Carb & when the the start switch is pressed the fuel pumps out good & strong so I do not think a filter is the Problem.
I am currently sitting in the RV parking spot at the Coach Care RV Service Center / Cummins Rocky Mountain in Avondale,AZ.
Hope they find the Problem & can get it fixed tomorrow.
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cvrvr:
Mike

Have you ever changed the fuel filters for the gen set. There are two of them. Might be that you gen set is not getting enough fuel.

Wish I was in Quartzsite.

George </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-29-2007, 11:11 AM   #11

Mike,

I am assuming it is an Onan unit. You may have a defective voltage regulator. There is a relay on the board that needs to see a certain voltage from the gen after start to allow the unit to keep running. If you can get a schematic and are handy with a voltmeter you can check it out yourself.

Just noticed that you are in the service center lot .... disregard the above.

Let us know what you find out

Roger

Roger Kneeland is offline   Reply With Quote