Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Geo Method Question

Being as we have a brand new rig, we are going to try the Geo Method in the tanks.
One question my DW raised is how well it dissolves or breakup the TP?
Does it do as good as the regular commercial tank deodorizer?

donnie(K7UTA), Linda, and 2furrykid s Buddy & Rain
2016 SouthWind32VS, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
donie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #2

Hi Donie,

I've been using the GEO method for several years and it works great. But, regardless of what treatment method (if any) you use, breaking down toilet paper is not at all necessary. Unlike septic tanks, the RV tanks are simply holding tanks and not intended to break down solids like in a septic system.

As long as you use plenty of water in your black tank and dump only when 2/3 or greater level, you should never have a problem with your tank. We use the same heavy toilet paper in the RV as we do in the house. Can't stress enough how important it is to use plenty of water in the back tank. The GEO method really helps with sensor function by keeping the build up on tank walls to a minimum.

Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
It is NOT a dissolver .......TP breaks down in regular water

It is just water, water softener agent and dish soap.
The water is for mixing the softener agent and dish soap into a solution
The softener agent makes the tank walls and bottom 'slick' so nothing sticks to them
The dish soap is for cleaning

The hardest part about the GEO Method is finding the water softener agent (Calgon)

It does help with keeping stuff from sticking to tank

Personally I just use water........
I dump when the Holding Tank is FULL using a high water to solids ratio
The weight and volume of water going WHOOSH carries the solids down and out....like a fast moving river carries boulders

I don't have any poop smells inside our RVs cause the vapor barriers prevent odors
IE: Water stays in toilet bowl. toilet floor flange seals, sink/shower 'P' traps hold water, Air Admittance Valves properly close, holding tank roof vents work and sewer hoses seal.........so no odors
And no chemicals needed cause that just makes poop smell like chemical poop.

Water and working vapor barriers.....all that is really needed for me.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:59 PM   #4
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just a note- We found Calgon in liquid form at several (but not all that we visited) Wal-Marts.
2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD (Ford F53 chassis)
2009 Honda Fit Sport
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our Wal*Mart seems to always have Calgon in the bath beads. I usually buy 3-4 boxes of it when I see it. I've been using it for a couple of years with the Dawn soap mixture that is repeatedly mentioned on the forum. To be honest about it, I'm not sure it has helped as my tank sensors still don't get an accurate reading. My sensors are Ventline which I'm thinking about sending them an email to see if they have any corrective measures I may take, almost looks like it could be an electrical issue?.
Ken in Nebraska
98 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, 35U
97 Ford F53 chassis
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:59 PM   #6
Just use plenty of water, it does just as good for less money.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:30 PM   #7
Country Coach Owners Club
I use the cheapest water softener (Calgon replacement) that I can find. If it is a powder, I mix it with water before dumping it in the tank. I also use the cheapest dish soap. The cheap stuff works just as good as the expensive stuff.

I don't do the GEO method every tank, only when my 1/4 tank light won't go out. Otherwise I use a lot of water when flushing. No odor either, you don't need the perfume chemicals.
2002 Country Coach Intrigue
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:26 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I appreciate the replies and thanks.
I'm going to give the Geo a try.
donnie(K7UTA), Linda, and 2furrykid s Buddy & Rain
2016 SouthWind32VS, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
donie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have RVed since 1974 and have never used anything in my waste water tanks except lots of water when flushing. Never had a problem.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA FMCA 335149 W3TLN
2005 Suncruiser 38R W24, no chassis mods needed 2013 Honda Accord EX-L 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
You don't need anything but water. Why does anybody put a deodorant in the black tank? If you can smell the black tank odor or the deodorant odor, you have a problem with your system and/or something is amiss with the plumbing. We don't use deodorants in the toilets at home because the system is vented...just like your RV. If you insist on an additive, use Calgon which will aide in dumping...anything else is a waste of money
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:39 PM   #11
The Geo Method is a waste of money, product and time, and is actually counterproductive to a properly functioning black tank. Never put bleach down your waste tanks. Just water is as good, or if you must use something Happy Camper is just 53 cents a treatment and keeps sensors and tanks working. Otherwise carry on with the home brew that makes you feel better.

2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is online now   Reply With Quote