Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2016, 07:10 PM   #1

Georgia Newbie

Greetings from North Georgia! My husband and I are retired and are in the research phase of purchasing our first RV. Hubby is deadest on a dP but I'm trying to steer him toward a less expensive gas and smaller unit. Just in case we don't take to this new lifestyle. I have to say I'm a bit nervous about it because I know nothing about camping or rving. (Hubby doesn't know that much more than I do.) So, my question is this, what made you decide to buy your first rv? Thank you all in advance for any replies!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can afford dp probably the way to go. I would go with class a over c either way. If you do not know if you will like rving probably used for first is way to go.i brought a new c in 2014 it was ok this year we traded and got 16 class a gas. Dealers really beat you up on trades. they want to offer 20-25% below wholesale on trade. Hope this helps. Also shop online too. rvone and mhs in texas have good prices.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfgrf View Post
If you can afford dp probably the way to go. I would go with class a over c either way. If you do not know if you will like rving probably used for first is way to go.i brought a new c in 2014 it was ok this year we traded and got 16 class a gas. Dealers really beat you up on trades. they want to offer 20-25% below wholesale on trade. Hope this helps. Also shop online too. rvone and mhs in texas have good prices.
Hubby said gas didn't hold its value like a diesel. Do you agree? Also, I am concerned that we won't use it enough so I thought a gas would be better for less frequent users. Am I right?
Old 04-08-2016, 08:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
From another Georgie RV type... You might have to go outside the N. GA.. Atlanta area to find much of a selection of RV's available. For some reason there just aren't many dealers or service locations around here after the recession claimed a number of them. The few RV service centers that remain demand a premium for service. There are some large dealers ones up I-85 in S.C. .. and of course in FL. Or you can find a private seller, seems to be plenty of those in N. GA.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:27 PM   #5

:welcome;

Hubby is correct a diesel, while being more expensive will hold value more then a gas model. In the resell market you'll find more buyers at your price with a diesel. Plus you'll get the comfort of air ride and stopping power of air brakes.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2016, 04:18 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Have you done your homework on the coaches that fit what you want and need in one? If not, I would recommend renting a few before you purchase and discover what you would want to be different such as floor plan or outside patio area and the way the compartment, TV or LP gas availability lends to your desires. Once you have narrowed down the make and model, you now can try to find one on the market. Once you have located one you are serious about I would highly recommend an RV inspection and if it comes back good, Google up RV Inspector within several hundred miles of the selling area. Now is time to do the homework on the inspector. Get referrals of those that have used them and give them a call to find out how well he or she did the job. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:06 AM   #7

Try NIRVC in Atlanta. They consistently get great reviews, including from me. While mainly centered on Entegra and Newmar DP's they've recently taken in some good trades so may be willing to deal since they're space limited until they occupy their new store later in the summer. Guarantee the best delivery experience you'll find.

RV Wizard's advice is spot on if you're really just testing the waters, but NIRVC can help in any case. We took the traditional path of TT/Fiver before taking the MH plunge but with fuel prices where they are there's no better time to see our great country.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudawg View Post
Greetings from North Georgia! My husband and I are retired and are in the research phase of purchasing our first RV. Hubby is deadest on a dP but I'm trying to steer him toward a less expensive gas and smaller unit. Just in case we don't take to this new lifestyle. I have to say I'm a bit nervous about it because I know nothing about camping or rving. (Hubby doesn't know that much more than I do.) So, my question is this, what made you decide to buy your first rv? Thank you all in advance for any replies!

What made me decide is every time I would see a motorhome I'd say that's what I want to do when I retire. Then I said to self why wait so then it was on first was a used gasser got a great deal loved it after a couple of years we wanted a new one with slides which we loved. Then I wanted the power and ride of a DP and never regretted it. Not all gassers are the same nor DP they ride different handle different my advise is read the forums do your homework and take good test drives and see how they handle. Oh by the way I'm in north ga also welcome aboard.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #9

All great info, thank you! Jmcarter we have been to all in the area except NIRVC. It is next on our list. It's a bit further away but their reviews are great. Would you get an inspection on a coach from a good dealer like NIRVC?
Old 04-09-2016, 07:37 AM   #10

hi, we're in N Ga as well - where are u located?

are you going full time?
are you traveling across country?
are u going for months at a time?

are you thinking 'social' time at rv parks and campgrounds,
or off-grid and State-National parks with minimal facilities, etc?

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Pruddawg,

I will give you me two cents worth too. Too start out with a new coach if you never had an Rv then I would start out with a used gas coach around 30-33 feet. If you like it then go for a newer coach say a 35' with all the amenities such as washer/dryer, king size bed, double door refrigerator, etc.
Now I will probably get a lot of disagreements here but will say it anyhow unless you know a lot about DP and that maintaining them costs a lot of money, you have to know about air brakes and air suspension, you won't get your monies worth unless you keep them for 100K miles, and Diesel fuel is more expensive than gas. DPs get the same fuel mileage as gas around 7.5 to 8 mpg.
Like I stated first buy used and try it then go for a gas unit like a Winnebago 35 footer and go to their website Winnebago | RVs, Motorhomes, Recreational Vehicles and click on products and check out their floor plans.
When looking at coaches make sure you can move around inside with slides closed such as getting to bathroom and kitchen area.
Good Luck and by the way I started out with a used Class C 24' then a new Class C 31' then a new Class A 33' and the one I have now.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
RV World of Georgia is another good dealer. Hamilton Mill exit off I-85
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Renting is a great way to first see if you will like the lifestyle, from there the type of coach and layout becomes a little easier. Talk to people you meet and ask questions. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags