Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
gfi goes when it rains

ive got a 97 hr endeavor wds seems like the last 2 times ive had this in the rain my gfi in the bathroom goes out which also runs a lot of outlets any suggestions on what to look for or where to start ? after a while after the rain it stays on ! thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdave View Post
ive got a 97 hr endeavor wds seems like the last 2 times ive had this in the rain my gfi in the bathroom goes out which also runs a lot of outlets any suggestions on what to look for or where to start ? after a while after the rain it stays on ! thanks
Install a new GFI outlet. Sometimes when they go bad, they will trip when a lot of moisture is in the air.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
What Sammie said.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Also GFI outlets are usually tied to the outside outlets. If you have an outlet leaking and getting wet then that could trip it.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #5

2nd sknight. seals on exterior covers detoriate over time. Would be the first item to check
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before you spend money on a new GFI.. Since you say it only goes out when it rains.. Step out to the patio outlet.. Pull the cover and let the water out.. Clean and replace outlet if needed and RE-SEAL!!!!!!

You may wish to replace the patio outlet cover with a new one too.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
would that be patio light ?
Old 12-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #8

I had the outside outlet that the fridge is pluged into getting wet. I put one of those plastic covers on it to solve the problem. You might also have one outback where the engine block heater plugs into.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Your bathroom GFI is usually wired to all outside outlets and your outside entertain center if so equipped. If the rain got into your outside outlets it will trigger the bathroom GFI breaker. If you have cords plugged in outside the that is probably your problem. Be sure your outside outlets are tight with covers that seal all the water. After checking these things replace your bathroom GFI if nothing is wet outside.
Greg Lepage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
would that be patio light ?
No the patio outlet.. The light is 12 volt and not GFCI protected

The outlet.. You know, where you plug in your boom box so you can annoy the rest of the campground.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #11

Lo tech...squirt bottle

Ok, low tech but it works.

First get a table lamp and plug it in to an outside outlet on a dry day, turn it on and verify it works.

Next trip the GFI button and see if the lamp goes out, this verifies the outside plug is on same gfi, reset outlet to get lamp back on.

Now take squirt bottle and start squirting things, when the lamp goes out you found the problem.

Depending on what it is is what the fix is, it may be difficult to get it sealed completely, if it cannot be sealed see below.

Continue testing and repairing until all outside plugs are confirmed to be OK.

You may also consider another option, adding a switch to shut off the outside plugs, stops the gfi tripping and also stops folks from "borrowing" power.

There are GFI outles with a switch built in, if all oter outlets are on the outside of the MH then this can work, of they are daisy chained then the outlet closest (the one in series with the outside ones) can be swapped out for a 1/2 outlet 1/2 switch unit to turn off the outside plugs.
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
its really weird because all my outlets are in the bays under cover ? seems like i only lose half of the outlets ? sure will be nice once i figure it out ?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You mean you do not have a weather capped outlet in the outside wall.. I can't recall when I've seen a modern Motor home without one.

I have seen some trailers (IE: 13' Scamp) that did not have one (I added it) but never a motor home.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Bein' as the parts we're talking about might cost $15-20 at most to replace, I suggest buying a nice new outlet AND a nice new weatherproof outlet cover - the spring back type. After replacing it, run a SMALL bead of silicone around the sides and top, but not fully across the bottom. Betcha the problem will disappear. (use a regular, not GFI outlet)
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote