Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Solo Rvers Club
Heartland RV Club
GFI Issues

I'm having an issue with my GFI - it's in the bathroom and appears to be the boss of my electronic entertainment life - front and rear TV's and a few 110 outlets throughout (fortunately, my coffee pot is not impacted ). It keeps randomly popping. Doesn't appear to be related to use at all. Now the embarrassing part is that I've had this happen before and can't, for the life of me, remember how I resolved it. I'm pretty sure I didn't need a professional - and I think it was something simple. It wasn't a bad GFI (of course, that doesn't mean it isn't this time). I've checked the inverter breaker - uh uh It's fine. The breakers in the box look good. What am I missing?
in advance for your help.

PS - I did try a search before I posted, but none of the previous threads seemed to fit quite right.

"Let your life speak"
JazzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe the dang thing just finally needs replacing.

Jim with Judy
08 38' Bounder DP
Toads: 08 Jeep Wrangler Sport; 11 Chevy Malibu
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Do you find the problem occurs during or right after someone takes a shower?
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Solo Rvers Club
Heartland RV Club
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Maybe the dang thing just finally needs replacing.
I suppose that could be it. I'm going to give it - and my memory - a while longer. It's been good today. Stopped popping after I posted (like feeling better when you finally decide to go to the doctor), and has only popped once since.
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Do you find the problem occurs during or right after someone takes a shower?
Doesn't seem to be any pattern I can discern. No showers around the time it started last night or when it popped again this afternoon.

I suppose the next step is to replace the outlet. Nothing it serves is critical, so I'll do that in 2 or 3 days if it doesn't stop. And go from there. . .
Thanks again for the ideas - I'll keep pluggin' away at it.
"Let your life speak"
JazzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
Mine would pop when the slide went in or out. The flexible wire that feeds the receptical under the table would pinch and trip the gfi.I disconnected the wire in the splice box in the storage bay sinse we never used the receptical.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have an idea of what outlets work off it give them a check. An outside outlet would be a good start a foam seal around outside outlet will collect water and short wiring inside outlet if grounded. Could also be a loose wire in one down stream outlet.
Check wiring in back of GFI make sure all are tight and not loose causing high resistance from heavy useage outlet down stream.

98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote