Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #1

I have searched the net for a solution to repairing the plastic three cup rotor with no success.

I broke one of the cups off and the only solution seems to be to replace the entire assembly. I do not want to spend a couple hundred on the unit. I also do not want to break the seal on the roof.

Has anyone changed just the rotor, or repaired the old one. Where did you get the part?

I have been looking at the little cooking measuring cups and thinking I could glue one on with epoxy.

I know it sounds rinky-dink to fix it like that. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #2

I have searched the net for a solution to repairing the plastic three cup rotor with no success.

I broke one of the cups off and the only solution seems to be to replace the entire assembly. I do not want to spend a couple hundred on the unit. I also do not want to break the seal on the roof.

Has anyone changed just the rotor, or repaired the old one. Where did you get the part?

I have been looking at the little cooking measuring cups and thinking I could glue one on with epoxy.

I know it sounds rinky-dink to fix it like that. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Old 02-06-2008, 05:21 AM   #3

Just a reminder if you have to do any wiring make sure it is wired the right way. I've heard of some that have come open when the wind started to blow.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Try an instant glue. If it sticks you win - if it dosn't nothing lost.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:57 AM   #5

Well, after mine broke and I installed a new one, I took the old one apart. Or, I should say, I tried to. These are sealed units and I couldn't get mine apart without breaking it. Also, remember these units must be pretty closely balanced to work correctly. Each arm must weigh almost exactly the same. If the balance is not correct, the arm will not swing at the correct speed and will become useless. My replacement did not cost anywhere near $200.
Also, breaking the seal was a non issue. Three or four screws and a little self leveling sealer. Has not leaked since.
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:10 AM   #6

I replaced my anemometer (wind sensor) with one I bought from carefree, cost $60.00, the cheapest I could find, hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Bubba View Post
Well, after mine broke and I installed a new one, I took the old one apart. Or, I should say, I tried to. These are sealed units and I couldn't get mine apart without breaking it. Also, remember these units must be pretty closely balanced to work correctly. Each arm must weigh almost exactly the same. If the balance is not correct, the arm will not swing at the correct speed and will become useless. My replacement did not cost anywhere near $200.
Also, breaking the seal was a non issue. Three or four screws and a little self leveling sealer. Has not leaked since.
Texas Bubba -

Found where you recently posted so am hoping you receive this reply to the above posting even though it is old. I, too, have a Thunder (2003) and have broke on of the cups off the 3 cup anemometer on top of the coach. Please advise if you remember where you were found a replacement? Not having any luck here so far and the thing refuses to turn with 2 cups

Thanks in advance.

Bill Greene
FL
Old 05-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #8

My Carefree of Colorado awning anemometer also broke a cup off. No replacement cup assy OR complete assembly is available from Carefree, and they really don't care if it broke. I promised them that I would badmouth them whenever possible and I'm keeping my end of the bargain.

So, my solution was an anemometer cup assymbly from: Ambient Weather.com I ordered #7903L Large wind cups for enemometers 2002 and before, Davis Instruments. Cost was $10.95 and $8.98 shipping to WA state.

I had to enlarge the hole with a drill bit to fit. Wish I remembered the size, but it was about a 1/16th too small. (pull straight up on the old cup assymbly to take it off, then put the solid end of a drill bit in until you find the fit you like) This created a press fit which is all the original one had. The new cup assembly also has a set screw to tighten onto the shaft which provides a little extra security if your hole drilling is a bit wobbly.

Works like a top.

Ken
Old 05-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #9

anemometer cup assmbly

Thanks Ken -

Your solution is the type of solution that I hope to install. Unfortunately, Girard uses an anemometer that doesn't allow for the cup assembly to be removed without removing the mount from the roof, i.e., from other inputs, it appears that I must unseal and reinstall a new anemometer just to replace a broken cup (bad design for use on motorhomes). The best I can tell, it is a sealed unit.
Given your input, I'm going start cutting off the remainder of the existing cup assembly to determine if there is a metal shaft on which I can mount your solution. Like you, I'm sure there are some modifications that will be necessary but I don't have much to loose with this approach. Worst case is that I will find the shaft unsealed beneath the cup enclosure and have to find some means of resealing.
I looked at the cup assembly on ambientweather.com but was uanble to discern the two rings in the photo. Perhaps they are a means of water protection. I hope to find a solution such as you have provided for there are quite a few that have gone to some expense to replace the entire assembly. It is my plan to post the results back on this forum if proven to work.
Please contact me directly at wgreene355@gmail.com concerning the rings and any further questions that may come up.

Again - Thanks a heap for the reference.

Bill Greene
Old 07-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #10

Had to use a Dremel to cut off the remainder of the anemometer cup but, with some care, that was completed in fairly short order. I then had to shorten the existing shaft so that the new cup assembly would tighten down close to the seal to the anemometer. Suspect each installation may be differ slightly but the project is not difficult with patience and the right tools - like a Dremel. Like Ken who put me on this path, cost was less than $20 (including shipping). On a recent trip, I had to do some minor tuning to the awning retract potentiometer to compentate for slight differences in rotation speeds between the two cup assemblies (old and new) for a given wind speed. All worked well though and I feel fortunate to have run across Ken's posting on the subject.