Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #1

glass repair ?

Just got my MH back from 2 weeks at body shop getting repairs from earlier collison. I decide to wash front and windshield as my wife had been cleaning inside much of the day. As I wash she notices a crack on lower drivers side windshield (two piece). She comments that it was not there until I washed it. Now I do not know how washing a windshield can cause a crack, but of course did not argue, bottom line there is a crack that appears could run futher up the glass (about 6 inches now). My question is whether the folks who fix rock chips/hits can repair cracks? Anyone have experience to this issue?

Imagine, next day after getting coach home from a $10K claim repair then find another possible claim. GMAC has hit me with 5 points on the other claim and policy runs out on August 6th.....unless I pay the new, doubled premium, which I doubt that I will. Prefer a glass man fix, if possible, but may have to file claim anyway. Guess they can always turn me down.

buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Way back when, I was a windshield repair dude. We fixed lots of cracks and stars and breaks. It was NOT rocket science. I notice now that Loc Tite offers a glass repair product in the adhesive section of Home D'po. Perhaps you should try it and report back.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #3

Call a rock chip repair place and have them come out. They should be able to seal the 6" crack.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #4

windshield damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Call a rock chip repair place and have them come out. They should be able to seal the 6" crack.
Think I will take pictures, maybe even file claim since I have a $250 deductable with current insurance (and a company that I probably will not be dealing with in 2 weeks). However, with pictures as reference I believe it wise to have checked by chip repair person to see if I can at least get a possible "easy fix". This is evidently a stress crack of some kind, unusual but real.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #5

This shouldn't be about repairing this windshield. It should be about replacing it!

You need to contact that body shop ASAP! They can file what's called an "add on" to the original claim to cover damage previously unseen - stuff not on their original estimate or part of the original claim. Shouldn't cost you any more than the time/inconvenience to return it to the body shop - unless the insurance company sends you to a specialized windshield replacement facility.

You should not be responsible for a cracked windshield after a 10k repair!!!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #6

Claim filed with open window on fix, whether I reup with this company in two weeks or not. Claim department very obliging.

Thanks to all for input.

Tags
repair