Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Question Glue that holds glass to metal frame?

I'm trying to repair the front window of the bed over the cab of my 1996 Dutchmen Class C (its about 72x15" with safety glass). I have the frame out and the glass removed from the frame. About half the glue holding the glass to the frame was detached (was leaking bad).

With google, I found a post somewhere that said to use "glazing tape" from this link: CRL 1/16'' x 1/4'' Black Double Sided Glazing Tape – SHOWERDOORDIRECT.COM

However, it looks like a black glue was used by the factory to glue the glass to the frame.

I found this forum and thought I would ask here, if I should use the tape, or use glue? If glue, what glue do I use?

Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 05:39 PM   #2

Call an automotive glass shop in your area and ask them what they use or better yet ask if they will reseal the window for you, most will for a small fee.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:47 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
The glue is Windshield Adhesive. Most all auto parts stores carry it.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #4

Thanks both of you! Thanks for the tip on auto glass shop. I called one and they said to use this 3M windshield glue...

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08693-Uret.../dp/B000RW1XCK

They also said to make sure and use the primer the instructions mention, which I looked up and was this...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00473W5V8
Old 07-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Sikaflex is another top brand of glass adhesive, used extensively in RV and cars. It is black. JB Weld and similar epoxies also work good as a metal to glass bond.

Glazing tape is different than adhesive. It a sealer that stays flexible and forms a waterproof seal where the glass butts to a frame. It is basically butyl tape.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:53 AM   #6

Check the consumer cost of the task materials then consider having a shop do the work.

Consumer packaged materials are greatly more expensive than the bulk rate the pros often have.

Combined with they do this every day they know what to do.

Call around and find a good one and ask about prep work you can do to lower the cost.

Your cost total will be a bit more but the outcome likely better.

A 6 ft window at height will be difficult to hold in position properly.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:02 AM   #7

FWIW I would be skeptical about any epxy with glass. The problem is a significant difference in the rate of expansion with temperature. The glass sealants will handle the movement a lot better.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Have same problem with T top on 77 TA Black Bird. Been looking for glass to metal adhesive for some time. Will try one mentioned here...thanks
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I've got two small awning-type crank-out windows where the glass is set into a metal top frame only. Just that one side bonded, glass to metal. When the first one came loose, I re-installed with Sikaflex P2G and it worked great. A year later the other one came loose and I used epoxy (JB Weld), and that worked equally well. That was 4 years ago...
Old 07-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #10

Thanks all. I decided to do this myself (I generally like to do things myself if I can). The sealant and primer arrived and I hope to do it this weekend.

Note, I took the frame out of the RV. So I will be doing this on a bench in my garage, and not while on the RV.

Will take some photos and report how the process and end result turned out.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #11

On bench much easier.

Suggest using rods and blocks to support the glass above the waiting for something to grab onto sealant below.

Use a square or other device to guide it and have a helper steady one end while you lift opposite to remove support and place on sealer then quickly do opposite end.

Practice landing it a few times before sealer is applied.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #12

Most framed RV windows are sealed using Butyl Tape rather than glue. After many years of service it looks like glue. If you have the butyl tape it can be removed by warming it with a hair dryer and rolling it with your finger.

Here's a link to a procedure documented by one of our members. Note the original installation used butyl tape.

http://www.rampknot.net/window_repai...ndowRepair.pdf
Old 07-25-2016, 04:52 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think he is asking about the seal between window frame and body (which would be butyl tape). I think he is talking about what actually holds the glass in the metal seat. In a typical side window with full surround metal frame, that too is butyl, but it is caulk. In a windshield or half-framed window, the glass is glued in place unless it sits in a rubber track.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Check the consumer cost of the task materials then consider having a shop do the work.

Consumer packaged materials are greatly more expensive than the bulk rate the pros often have.

Combined with they do this every day they know what to do.

Call around and find a good one and ask about prep work you can do to lower the cost.

Your cost total will be a bit more but the outcome likely better.

A 6 ft window at height will be difficult to hold in position properly.
I agree! The windshield sealant glass companies use comes in a caulking tube and is expensive considering you have to discard most of the contents after the job. I think having them do the work will be cheaper overall.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame