Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #15

With so much of the beautiful USA to explore, I can't imagine I'd take the risk to go to Mexico and see what?

Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 09:04 PM   #16

From So Cal we've taken our Motorhomes and Trailers loaded with Quads down to San Felipe a few times and never heard of any restrictions. We bought insurance for everything at the border in Calexico . We spent night on US side close to border and got up and cruised through border and Mexicali at Daylight and that worked perfect. My advice is to drive slow through the towns as it gets confusing but not impossible, it's just different than the US , the lights etc. Don't speed on the Highways and don't drive at night. We camped right on the Beach with some really nice and friendly Mexican families plus lots of other Americans. They wanted to cook all weekend for us and it was good ! All the people in Town everywhere were really friendly. For the better part of Mexico it's not like what the Media depicts it. We had a great time ! Mexico is what you make it...go down there and get drunk and act like a fool and you'll see the wrong side of Mexico. Mmmmm...Tacos !

Old 08-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #17

Back to your original question. Yes you can. You need insurance on all licensed vehicles. Car Toad and motor cycle. We go down yearly.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:37 PM   #18

I am jealous but ... man that is a long drive! I just got back from 10 days in Tijuana and my daughter was in Pachucha (near Mx city) for over a month. I travel there 8-10 times a year. Love the food, people and culture. #$@&*^ to the nay-Sayavers. I have a link to the bajbound ins site that covers tourists cards.
https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php
I am not sure where you found the limitations on number of vehicles. As long as they are insured they should not be a problem. I take the rv to Rocky point several times a year with toad. There are people that take trailers full of quads. If you feel it is an issue I would call the Mexican consulate here in the US. Have a great time and take lots of pictures. You need a kayak!

mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:27 PM   #19

US insurance is no good in MX; you must buy theirs. You will be jailed if someone is hurt in a wreck and you don't have it. We used to get our insurance and paperwork ahead of time here in Tucson at an outlet for MX insurance. Made it real convenient to get it ahead of time. We were towing Hobie Cats.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:00 PM   #20

Thanks for all the replies. Nice to know I can bring two vehicles. I remember reading one blog where a guy had to leave his toad at a storage yard near the border. I am aware I need mexican insurance. I do plan on getting an inflatable kayak that I can store in the RV. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:29 PM   #21

We have had our boat in Mexico for 3 years now. We regularly travel back and forth from the US to Mexico in our motorhome. We have yet to have any kind of problem -drug dealers, authorities, etc... We very much enjoy Mexico. Apparently it is a well kept secret that the horror stories you always see about Mexico are just that - stories. Sure, there is crime and corruption here. But then we have never heard of anything like that in the US. Seriously, come to Mexico and have fun!!!

One additional note - we are far worried about entering the US than we are entering Mexico. Make sure your fridge and freezer are empty and you have no other food before entering the US. They really don't like that. But stock up on your US favorites before going south because Mexico really doesn't care :-)
Old 08-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #22

My daughter is getting married in Mexico in Febuary , do we are flying down . I'm not looking forward to this at all . I'll do my best to try to enjoy it .
Old 08-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #23

travel.state.gov > Passports & International Travel > Alerts and Warnings > Mexico Travel Warning

According to our State Dept. over 200 US Citizens were murdered in 2014-2015.
Not sure how many, if any were RV'ers but to say that "nuthin's ever happened to me so it must not happen at all" when in Mexico is misleading.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
We have driven across with our TV and spent time in Rocky Point. No issues at all. Lots of Mexican Army patrolling the roads.

While in Rocky Point there were several RV parks full of RV. They were fenced/gated most likely to keep the stray dogs out as much as unauthorized persons. Several people we know go down regularly. Lots of new high end condo developments there.

If you want to go get insurance and try to travel down in a convoy. We had no issues and were treated with friendliness and respect the entire time.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
travel.state.gov > Passports & International Travel > Alerts and Warnings > Mexico Travel Warning

According to our State Dept. over 200 US Citizens were murdered in 2014-2015.
Not sure how many, if any were RV'ers but to say that "nuthin's ever happened to me so it must not happen at all" when in Mexico is misleading.

Certainly not wanting to start a flame war.. but 200 US Citizens (I didn't verify your information BTW) murdered in Mexico.. did you check to see how many US Citizens were murdered in the US during that time period? Or how many of those people were involved in drug or people smuggling or other "risky" behavior? All I know is from first hand travel of 3 years, hanging out with a lot of US Citizens in Mexico, I have yet to hear of or see anyone murdered, robbed, assaulted, etc...

I never said "it does not happen at all" or it can't happen to you.. I just said it is not as common as the "news" makes it out to be. The Mexican government and people are VERY interested in US Citizens visiting and they go to great lengths to not only keep you safe, but to ensure you have a great time. Just sayin...

Oh, I forgot one other detail - my in laws built a home in Aguas Calitntes (arguably one of the drug cartel hotspots) and have lived there for 15 years without a single incident.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:18 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Some folks make decisions based on fear, and consider those decisions to be what they really want. Some folks make decisions based on what they really want, and are willing to confront their fears, or the fears of others. Security is mostly theater, and there is no true safety, only comfy solid ground and edges. Some edges are rough, others are smooth. You don't know what kind of edge you'll be up against until you find it.

I think I know who has the better life because what basis they use to make decisions, mostly. Don't try to put someone down because they choose to have experiences over the theater of security.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRapture40 View Post
We have had our boat in Mexico for 3 years now. We regularly travel back and forth from the US to Mexico in our motorhome. We have yet to have any kind of problem -drug dealers, authorities, etc... We very much enjoy Mexico. Apparently it is a well kept secret that the horror stories you always see about Mexico are just that - stories. Sure, there is crime and corruption here. But then we have never heard of anything like that in the US. Seriously, come to Mexico and have fun!!!

One additional note - we are far worried about entering the US than we are entering Mexico. Make sure your fridge and freezer are empty and you have no other food before entering the US. They really don't like that. But stock up on your US favorites before going south because Mexico really doesn't care :-)
Awesome, I love sailing too! When I sold my house it was a coin flip between buying and living on a boat or an RV. In the end it seemed cheaper to get the RV and crew on other peoples boats. If I didn't have the motorcycle carrier using the trailer hitch I'd get a small daysailor or maybe a Hobie sailing kayak.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Some folks make decisions based on fear, and consider those decisions to be what they really want. Some folks make decisions based on what they really want, and are willing to confront their fears, or the fears of others. Security is mostly theater, and there is no true safety, only comfy solid ground and edges. Some edges are rough, others are smooth. You don't know what kind of edge you'll be up against until you find it.

I think I know who has the better life because what basis they use to make decisions, mostly. Don't try to put someone down because they choose to have experiences over the theater of security.
+1

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is not safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. ~ Helen Keller