Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #1

Going to Mexico

I want to explore Mexico with my RV. I've read that with the tourist visa you can only bring one vehicle. I have a 22 ft RV and I have an enduro motorcycle on the back. That's two registered vehicles. What are my options?

Specifically I'm looking at the Lake Chapala area. There is an RV park there. Pics include fifth wheels, trailers. That's two vehicles right?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Nothing to say that answers your question, just some peripheral advice.

Folks will chime in to try to persuade you not to go because it's dangerous. DOn't pay them any attention. They'll put up links to news article, the State Department advisories, anecdotal stories, and they'll try really hard to convince you that travelling in MX is too dangerous. If you want to travel in MX, then just go and have a great time!

Old 08-13-2016, 04:40 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2. Here's a link to some previous discussions that may assist.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mexi...com&gws_rd=ssl

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
There's not enough money in the world to pay me to take an RV into Mexico! JMHO

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't drink the water.....ha chis la bud no es mexicana, pero bueno que mal andan, esas cervezas que postearon son las mas rancias y baratas de mexico.
Would think if it has a tag, its a vehicle. However, wt may have some distinction on bikes and four wheeler's. Some cross border bandito should jump in.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let's please stick to the question in the OP. This is a new member looking for specific information.
Thanks.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #7

I live on the border in the winter Research where to and not to cross talk to people who have gone where you want to go not somewhere in the same area.

I will not cross in two cities 40 miles apart and will cross at the one in the middle but then I get away from the drug traffic near the border asap. We have 30-50 thousand pounds of drugs confiscated each month in our area. Not nice people.

I have driven across with pickup with motorcycle in back and just had to get two stickers and have insurance on both to make happy.

Check your medical insurance!
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
[I]Would think if it has a tag, its a vehicle. However, wt may have some distinction on bikes and four wheeler's. Some cross border bandito should jump in.
This is what I want.

I'm not concerned about the risk. I'm 34 yo and single. No wife or kids to support. I take risk as I like. I want to know if you can take two licensed vehicles across the border legally. That's it. This is not a beatumup mexico thread.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2016, 11:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
I live on the border in the winter Research where to and not to cross talk to people who have gone where you want to go not somewhere in the same area.

I will not cross in two cities 40 miles apart and will cross at the one in the middle but then I get away from the drug traffic near the border asap. We have 30-50 thousand pounds of drugs confiscated each month in our area. Not nice people.

I have driven across with pickup with motorcycle in back and just had to get two stickers and have insurance on both to make happy.

Check your medical insurance!
Thanks for responding. Is it a dirt bike or enduro (dirt bike that is street legal)? Also did you have mexican insurance or US?

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:35 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
LLCoolDave, call one of the RV tour companies and tell them you are interested in joining one of their groups going south. Ask them how the vehicle insurance and permits work and see if they have any short Mexico trips that might be of interest to you. They'll be able to give you first hand infor and may possibly be able to help you get your feet wet.

I am trying to get my wife on board for a Mexico trip but she is hesitant because of all the horror stories. I have heard all the horror stories about the "coach wrecking" road to Alaska and the dangers of other places we've travelled only to find they were gross exaggerations. For whatever reason, folks like to make it seem so much harder that it actually is. Just be smart about how you travel and if possible consider travelling in a group for increased security.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:32 PM   #11

Enjoy. My folks did several trips in their 70s and enjoyed it all. Just keep your eyes open and have fun.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:17 AM   #12
ARC

As one who grew up in Mexico: listen to MSHappyCampers. Best-case scenario is you pay bribes every week just to avoid going to jail for made-up infractions.
ARC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:22 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I rented a house in Los Algodones, Baja, Mx. for 4 years, and drove my car in and out as I worked in Las Vegas, Nv. In the 4 years I lived down there I was ask for insurance or license info a few times at the gov./military check points as I traveled around the northern part of Mx. And I crossed the border at 4 or 5 different places, and all they ask to see was my Passport card, when coming back into the U.S. I had Mx. insurance, along with my U.S. insurance also! On the two vehicle's thing, can't answer that, but a quick call to your insurance co. will answer that question for you! I used Bajabound.com for my Mx. insurance. Also, depending on how far you travel into Mx., you have to get a visa if you go past the "Tourist Zone" A little online research will give you the details on that!
Good luck, and have fun! Rail!
Old 08-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I just read that there is a different procedure for 499cc & below. I have no details, sorry. Just another thing to investigate.

I think your trip will be absolutely fantastic!