Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
Retired Senior Member

Gonna pull the Splendide

We have been hauling around this extra 200 pounds of appliance which we have never used for 5-years now. I finally received permission from TOWMBO to remove the unit and convert the area to storage. Now if I can only figure out how this blasted thing is mounted!

Am I the only one thinking along this line? Thus far in all our (limited) travels, we have utilized the campground laundry for our washing/drying. We do not boondock for long periods so I just do not see a reason to retain the capability when storage space is so limited.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #2

I'm going to do the same with mine, probably move it into the garage and use it for washing rags and such. We have used ours bu t have decided that it is really no more convenient than just taking a couple of hours out to go to the laundromat.

Probably the two things that convinced me to let it go was:

1. - Water usage - two loads will fill the grey water tank
2. - Mounting (or lack there of). We had ours put in after we bought the coach and it has never been properly mounted, when it spins the whole coach gets to rocking. I have tried unsuccessfully to get it properly installed so we are going to remove and reinstall the drawers that used to be there (I kept them).

Then of course you have the wrinkling and small loads, etc... it's just as easy to go to the laundromat.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Everyone has different ideas on them. We had one in our '04 Bus and when it came time to order the '07 we had a choice - Splendide 2100 Combo, Stackable Washer/Drier, or a huge closet.

We went with the Splendide combo, which gave us some nice storage directly above it. It works well for our needs and the upper half of the cabinet is excellent storage. With a 42' Bus we aren't hurting that much for storage so it was a good choice for us at this time.

However, we go for 3-4 week vacation trips and a number of 3-4 day weekenders throughout the year. We don't full time. Because we travel out west to the nice scenic areas there's plenty to see and we want to maximize out time. The Splendide lets us do a small laundry load while relaxing in the coach in the evening. That lets us multitask with our time rather than going to a campground laundry and waiting around.

If we were strictly doing local weekend trips, it'd be a waste. Also, if the coach was more limited on storage space it would also be a negative. When we finally get to fulltiming we may even rip it out and replace it with the stackables because they are much faster (multitasking, again). Chances are by then it'll be a 45' Zephyr so we would just order the stackables at that time.

Overall, the decision will vary greatly amongst RVers, depending on how much you need the room and how valuable it is to your particular lifestyle.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
On our previous 5th wheel, the Splendide combo was a "must have" for SWMBO. When we moved to our current 5th wheel, the Splendide didn't make the move - we let it stay with the previous RV. We found that, since we aren't full-timing, we didn't use it enough to justify carrying around the weight and losing the storage space in the closet.

Once I retire, our requirements might change, but I think we'll go with the stacked pair next time if we decide we need a W/D.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We had a Splendide combo machine installed in our first coach and found it was pretty limited in its performance (long cylce times, small loads, knotted up clothes, etc.). When we bought our current coach, we had a Kenmore (Sears) stacked W/D unit installed. It works really well. The only negative is it uses more water than the Splendide so you must be connected to sewer with your gray water valve open.

It's important to note, both the washer and dryer operate on 120V and share the same circuit, so it's not possible to run the washer and dryer units at the sane time. This W/D is fast enough and has enough load capacity that it's still faster than the Splendide and preforms much better.

We much prefer throwing a load of clothes in the washer, going about our business, or napping, or sight-seeing, or enjoying an adult beverage than hauling a load of laundry and supplies to a laundromat, hanging around until it's done and hauling the stuff back to the coach.
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When wife and I ordered our palace on wheels the sales man ask if we wanted a built in washer/dryer... I knew just what questions to ask.

So we have... a cupboard, useful storage space, it's our pantry in fact.

IN short, we ripped it out before it was put in.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
paz

The on-board washer/dryer seems to be a love-it or hate-it kind of thing. As full-timers, we wouldn't be without one. We have a Splendide combo, but we would rather have a stackable. The stackables are more efficient, but they didn't offer that as an option when we bought.

DW has learned to work with the limited capacity and how to minimize wrinkles (don't overfill, especially during drying). It's so great not having to look for laundries, not having to find change, and not having to deal with the dirt we've found in some of laundries we've visited in the past.

As for space, we have a little room to spare even though we're full-timers. We have found we would tend to carry more than we need if we had more space.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Our Splendide combo unit does not perform like full-size units do, (neither does our motorhome provide for multiple overnight guests like a 3 bedroom house did!!) but we would not be at all happy without it. The only time we have used a campground laundry/borrowed family units in the past 6 years has been for bulky blankets ...and haven't used a commercial laundromat in years ...and hope I never have to again ...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonNBama View Post
Now if I can only figure out how this blasted thing is mounted!
It just like the washer at home, it just sets there. Disconnect the water hoses, pull the drain hose out of the drain and pull it out. Have a good friend there to help you lift it. There might have a wood frame around it, just remove it. Also, measure to make sure it goes out the door.
Paul and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
"When we bought our current coach, we had a Kenmore (Sears) stacked W/D unit installed. It works really well."

Can you tell me the model#'s of your washer/dryer? And roughly the measurements? I'd like to see if I could fit them into our coach.

Jim Sanderson
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36'
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Took mine out of our Adventurer, by myself, in about 35 minutes last May.

It had a couple of angle brackets screwed into the floor to keep it from moving. Also took the doors off the cabinet to get slide out clearance. Put a piece of cardboard down on the floor to slide it out onto.

Had my trusty 2 wheel dolly handy to move it and out the door.

Now have the area with stacking plastic storage drawers and a separate, dedicated 110v outlet for an electric radiator heater.

Just remember to close off the dryer vent outlet.

And 200 less pounds of dead weight.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Depending on your location(s), please PM me. I may be interested in taking this 200 pounds of unused appliance off your hands.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I'd like to know why some folks find it necessary to 'hang around' in the park laundromat while the wash is being done. Are these parks in the middle of the ghetto? Oh, I bet it's because the other folks in there are playing bingo or forming a bridge group. I'd just go back to the rig and read the newspaper. I find it interesting how much water they use - fer sure you can't use them when not hooked up, can you?
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #14

We wouldn't be without a w/d. Small loads but the bouncing balls inside take care of the wrinkles. Sure nice to get out of the shower and have a warm towel waiting for you.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote