Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2003, 05:17 PM   #15

My coach is in right now to get all four shocks changed, the front shocks are currently on back order from Monroe, with a projected shipping date to Workhorse of Aug 25, 2003. I hope this takes care of the porpoising problem, as it was terrible in my coach. So bad in fact that on a 75 mile trip one way all of our hanger clothes in the rear wardrobe closet ended up on the floor. Then a new set of front shocks from workhorse, not Monroe, another GM shock, only slightly better. Then a 4100 mile trip and the rear wardrobe hanger bar and shelf collapsed. Cant wait to get it back and try it out maybe it will help the wandering problem. Got my fingers crossed.

03 Kountry Star KSCA 3651
W-22 Vortec 8.1L
Allison 5-speed
02 GMC Envoy
Blue Ox Aventa II
Unified tow brake

W-22 Vortec 8.1L
Roaminsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2003, 01:10 PM   #16

Koni's are also an option...

I was traveling through Oregon to a family re-union and happened to be in Grants Pass. I called Henderson's Line-up and they installed a Tru-trac and Koni adjustable shocks for me. I can say, the ride, handling, body roll and porposing are all improved unbelievably.....

I can say, I didn't want to put all the money in a new motorhome (Winn38G) but after realizing I drop that kind of cash readily into my 4x4 without a thought... I did it and am very glad...

BTW.. Hendersons recommended the koni's and they are adjustable... And I would recommend Henderson's highly, very nice people...

[This message was edited by Aces on Mon August 25 2003 at 05:19 PM.]

Winnebago 38G
Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 05:49 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
From what I've read here, and thanks to all who posted such good info, the Monroe shocks are about half the price of Bilisteins but are hard to get due to demand vs. supply. The koni brand is reputed to be superior as they are adjustable, but no mention of cost or as to how you "adjust" them. Can someone please enlighten me?

Newmar KSCA 3740, W-22, being pushed by a 97 Accord,chasing a Blue Ox. 2Golden retreivers and muttsmom.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:18 PM   #18
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by edgray1:
The koni brand is reputed to be superior as they are adjustable, but no mention of cost or as to how you "adjust" them. Can someone please enlighten me?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The cost is about one and one half times that of a Bilstein.

The Konis are adjustable however you can't adjust them once they are installed on the motorhome. In order to adjust the shock it has to be removed and collapsed. At that point the adjustment can be made with a tool made for the purpose. The shock is thereafter reinstalled on the motorhome. Some companies will pre-load the shocks for the GVW of the axle before they deliver it to you. All you have to do is ask.

<font color=blue>03 Winnebago 38G/Workhorse W22 " 22.5" Tire " Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Aventa II " Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters
"We Will Never Forget"</font color>

<font color=red>88 " Robert Yates Racing " 38
</font color>
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:37 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Are all of you respondents having the shocks replaced under WCC warranty? Is there a procedure to invoke this change? Is there a contact @ WCC to streamline this change-out?
I initially asked my WCC warranty center to consider the Porpoise question, and they advised that the bounce was normal!
Driver, you have often mentioned a Tom Lincoln? at WCC that could facilitate. Is this the best channel to pursue? Advise!

2002 Newmar Mountain Aire 3566
W22, w/22.5 Michelin XRV
Suede Graphics Full Body Paint
2003 CR-V EX Toad
Golden Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 09:35 PM   #20

Golden Gopher,
Contact Larry Watson with Newmar,he is the WH chassis rep with Newmar. Tell him you have front end bounce with your rig.
Mine were replaced with Monroe RV Magnums, under warranty (all four) and sure made a difference. Make sure you contact them so it is documented.

go in a good way

Klare/Ronnie
03 Scottsdale 3670,w22,8.1
01 saturn wagon
Lilo & Stitch
KA4SYW

03 Scottsdale 3670
Owlslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 02:13 AM   #21
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Golden Gopher:
Driver, you have often mentioned a Tom Lincoln? at WCC that could facilitate. Is this the best channel to pursue? Advise!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The best channel is listed above in Owlslair's post. Like I said before you should contact your dealer/coach manafacturer first about the bounce.

I also would say that the bounce is normal for the shocks that are currently installed on your motorhome. On the other hand you may be thinking differently however what's important here is that "You're the customer" and the "customer" is always right.

One more item, if WCC authorizes the replacement, thet may only replace the fronts. If Larry authorizes the replacement he may replace all four shocks.

Remember folks, dealer first, manafacturer second and WCC 3rd.

Aventa II " Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters

</font color>
Old 08-26-2003, 08:46 AM   #22

I bought a new set of Monroe's for all around about 3 months ago after reading about all the porpoising complaints with the W chassis. Looks like good timing for a change as I had no trouble getting them and paid about $240 for all 4. I have also purchased the Henderson Trac Bar, based in large part on DirVers recommendation. Since my MH will be sitting in an RV park near Dallas for the next several months, I'm waiting for a little cooler weather before I crawl under and install everything. DriVer...you mentioned that you may have the STP installed by last Friday...did you? I'm anxious to learn how you like it.
lhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 12:37 PM   #23
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lhill:
DriVer...you mentioned that you may have the STP installed by last Friday...did you? I'm anxious to learn how you like it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Man is this great or what; folks following the continuing adventures of DriVer....

Well I tried like all heck to get it installed. I drove the motorhome to New Haven to have the steering box zeroed out via a FEA and the mechanic found that I was out by -3/16" when the min=0" and the max=+1/16". So the alignment was out by 4/16" or a 1/4". Good thing I had the FEA done before going to Myrtle Beach.

The mechanic tried to install the STP however the frame bracket is NOT the correct piece and I found out by calling STP technical support that the piece I have has been replaced by another piece. Now I'm left having to call Henderson's and get them to order and send me the right part. Bad news is that I won't have it this week although I tried.

I am kinda pissed because STP didn't want to ship me the piece directly. I have to send the old piece back to Grants Pass and get the new piece from the dealership. So I'm back to waiting.

Aventa II " Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters

</font color>
Old 08-26-2003, 02:01 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I drove the motorhome to New Haven to have the steering box zeroed out via a FEA and the mechanic found that I was out by -3/16" when the min=0" and the max=+1/16". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm curious, Driver, which front end parameter was out? Those numbers sound like it was toe-in, which is spec'ed at +0.06 (1/16") +/- 0.02.

On mine the wheel camber was the problem, but WH doesn't give a camber spec becasue they say it is "not adjustable". They don't have a caster spec either, for the same reason.

Gary Brinck
2002 Dolphin LX - WorkHorse W22 chassis
2000 Chevy Tracker 4-Dr 4WD
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 05:18 PM   #25

We have a 94 Winnebago Brave. It wanders all over the road. When I watch my husband drive, he is constantly turning the steering wheel back and forth about 2 inches, just to go straight. Today we drove a 98 Itasca, and it was much easier to keep in the lane. We need someone to evaluate this, and install the right equipment. We live in Grass Valley, CA. I have heard a place in Redding recommended, and also a place in Grants Pass. Suggestions on where to start would be great. My husband is not the mechanic type. Also, I am interested in the cost from some of you that have solved similar problems.

1994 Winnebago Brave 30 ft.
1996 Chrysler Minivan
Grass Valley, CA

1996 Chrysler Minivan
Lee and Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 07:04 PM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lhill:
I have also purchased the Henderson Trac Bar, based in large part on DirVers recommendation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Was at Camping World today and noticed that Davis TruTrack was on sale for $299 under their club pricing and Super Steer was $442, plus shipping. That SafeTPlus is one expensive sucker, even with their discount.

Stew
Old 08-27-2003, 03:56 AM   #27
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lee and Susan:
We live in Grass Valley, CA. I have heard a place in Redding recommended, and also a place in Grants Pass. Suggestions on where to start would be great...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The folks at the "Grants Pass" location will actually take your motorhome out on a test track (sort of) and evaluate the motorhome with you present and suggest recommendations that will improve your ride. Second, they will then implement any performance level you choose depending on your budget and after the upgrade(s) you will see first hand proof on the second test ride that what was suggested is in fact what you expected.

Everything to accomplish a baseline upgrade to full implementation is normally in stock including balancing and alignment work.

I don't believe that you could do much better at any other facility.

Aventa II " Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters

</font color>
Old 08-27-2003, 04:04 AM   #28
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary B:
I'm curious, Driver, which front end parameter was out? Those numbers sound like it was toe-in, which is spec'ed at +0.06 (1/16") +/- 0.02.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep those were toe figures. The spec was referenced against a 2000 F53.

I have to go back to Torello in a few weeks to have my STP installed at at that time I'll come equipped with the right figures. I never thought of researching this before hand. Thanks for picking up on those numbers. I should have looked in my Chassis Guide before hand.

Aventa II " Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters

</font color>