Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2004, 08:09 AM   #85

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks DriVer.

Based on the VIN sequences that I have seen posted on this forum my chassis was built before the switch to Bilsteins. I can't visually check it right now because it is at the storage lot but I will do so first chance I get.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2004, 07:55 AM   #86

I just took delivery of my new Kountry Star and as I feared it is equiped with the standard W22 shocks, so I assume that there are no other upgrades either, What can I reasonably expect Workhorse to do? 2 Monroes/Blistens or 4, What other enhancements should be there?

Phil

Old 06-02-2004, 09:17 AM   #87

Phil, you didn't say what model Kountry Star you have, but I would wait and load it up and drive it on a short trip before you decide to change your shocks. There are bunches of people out there with Kountry Stars that have not changed their shocks.

I changed mine because I am marginal on my length to wheel base ratio so shocks helped. I chose to do my own shocks as opposed to dealing with Workhorse. At that time my time was more valuable to me then the price of shocks. I picked Koni's because that is what Hendersons Line-Up recommended to me and I am happy with my choice.

CAD-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 05:25 PM   #88

Thanks Cad Man I have the 3651 side aisle floor plan and I will put the Henderson rear Bar on it for sure it has the 242" wheelbase.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:03 PM   #89

Phil, your length to wheel base ratio is 55% compared to my 51%. So you may find that your shocks could be OK and you should have less tail waging then I do. If you go with the SuperSteer Track Bar what little tail waging you have should be completely eliminated.

CAD-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 07:28 AM   #90

Thanks CAD-MAN
I have a little "tail Wagging" that should go away when I install the Henderson bar , and my dealer will replace the shocks under warranty and that should get rid of the bounce in the front end. I am leaving for the Renfro Valley in KY in two weeks and I hope to have it all done by then

Phil
Old 06-09-2004, 06:06 AM   #91

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two questions for DriVer or anyone else that wants to jump in:

I have a 2004 Sea Breeze LX on the W22 chassis with the black shocks. Fully loaded I am about 900 pounds below GVRW on the front axle.

I have noticed some porpoising but not anything I consider excessive or dangerous. This makes me wonder if I should try to have the upgraded shocks put on. My concern is what they would do to the ride over sharp bumps like uneven expansion joints?

My second question: When making low speed turns on uneven pavement (typical surface street driving) the front end seems to rock quite a bit and I hear a lot of fairly loud thumping from the front suspension. It sounds like the shocks are hitting the stops, but it could be the air snubbers. Is that normal? Could the rocking be a shock issue?
Old 06-09-2004, 06:34 PM   #92
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hwybnb:
I have a 2004 Sea Breeze LX on the W22 chassis with the black shocks. Fully loaded I am about 900 pounds below GVRW on the front axle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The handle you're looking for is GAWF (gross axle weight front) now since you're 900 lbs. less than the rating, that's a good thing however it might be the case that you're carrying a lot of weight forward depending on your coach configuration and loading. Do you know if you have the 8500 optional front axle? Some W22s came with 8000 front axles however I don't think that that is the case with newer W22s.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have noticed some porpoising but not anything I consider excessive or dangerous. This makes me wonder if I should try to have the upgraded shocks put on. My concern is what they would do to the ride over sharp bumps like uneven expansion joints? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>There are more than several opinions about this subject. Either you like the way the MH rides and don't object, at which point if in your opinion there's nothing wrong, you should stay with the equipment that you have. Don't fix it if it isn't broke.

On the other hand if you like or prefer a more sporty ride you might choose to upgrade your shock package. Shocks with greater rebound and compression properties will not be as compliant as the (black) original shocks and will not display any tendency to porpoise. There are even better shocks available other than the Monroe RV Magnums for instance, the Bilstein shocks or the adjustable Koni shock absorbers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My second question: When making low speed turns on uneven pavement (typical surface street driving) the front end seems to rock quite a bit and I hear a lot of fairly loud thumping from the front suspension. It sounds like the shocks are hitting the stops, but it could be the air snubbers. Is that normal? Could the rocking be a shock issue? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Neither, If the motorhome excessively rocks and makes noise you need to have the front suspension components examined by an authorized repair facility. There may be something that need correcting. On your 2004 chassis, you should have the 2.5 inch anti-sway bar as standard equipment on your rig and that's the maximum amount of standard anti roll control that you're going to have. The 2.5" bar has improved performance over the 2.0" bar previously used.

Most all of us that drive W series motorhomes have little roll control. Negotiating a pot hole for instance will normally begin a roll action that is only controled by slowing way down or coming to a stop. A device like an anti sway bar like an IPD anti-sway bar would control roll a lot better however we haven't heard any first hand reports from people that have had this device installed on a W series. The P series comes standard with a hefty IPD anti sway bar. Know that an effective set of shocks will help dampen the roll action quite a bit and you should see improvement with any of the shocks that I earlier described. Check your tire air pressures as well making sure that they are properly inflated for the weight that the axle is carrying.

The Stabil-Ride suspension is designed so that it does not allow any mechanical noises to be experienced by excessive roll or shock rebound. The like-air bags on the suspension act as isolators and do not allow mechanical noises to be be experienced.

If as you say you hear loud mechanical noises, that's not normal and I'd suggest that you have your rig inspected at an Authorized Workhorse Repair Facility.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:03 AM   #93

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks DriVer.

My weight distribution is pretty even, with about the same margin on front and rear axles. Side-to-side is also well balanced. Tire pressures are all correct per the weight charts.

I have the 8,000 pound front axle. My chassis was built before they switch to the larger bar.

I will have the WH service center check the front suspension when I take it in for service.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:08 AM   #94

I will add this. New 2004 Gulfstream, Sun Voyager, 700 miles, I didn't like the porpoise ride, contacted Gulfstream. They drove to my coach and weighted it at 20,100 lbs. This is a W22 Workhorse. This was done on a Monday, Thursday I had 4 new Monroe Magum RV shocks. Took the black shocks off motorhome and replaced. The shocks take off my new coach you could push in and out with no effort. No more porpoise ride and the side to side sway is gone. What a difference shocks make.

Cakeman and Mrs. Cakeman
Cakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:21 AM   #95

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am curious why Ron and Cindy's Gulfstream was refitted with Monroes. I thought that WH was using Bilsteins on new production and would also use them on retrofit upgrades.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:46 AM   #96
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hwybnb:
I thought that WH was using Bilsteins on new production and would also use them on retrofit upgrades. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What is in the parts organization at GVW Parts is most likely different than what's on the assembly lines in Union City, IN. It's likely that most of the Bilsteins go directly to new chassis builds.

The shocks that are in stock in parts would probably have to be exhausted before moving forward with another warranty part unless the RV Magnums weren't any good. I can vouch for the RV Magnums, they are very good shocks.

In time GVW parts should only have Bilsteins to use as replacements. Bilsteins are lifetime guarantee shocks by the way so I don't know how that will play when it comes time to determine how many shocks should be on hand in the parts organization.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:23 AM   #97

I didn't even talk with WH about the issue. I felt it was a Gulfstream probelm, so I contacted them first. What I have heard is WH is sucking up all of the Bilsten shocks for the production line. Gulfstream probably got me what they could, but what a change in the ride of the coach with the new Monroes. It is great.

Cakeman and Mrs. Cakeman
Cakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 03:15 PM   #98
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cakeman and Mrs. .... but what a change in the ride of the coach with the new Monroes. It is great. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>T-Riffic.