Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2004, 10:58 AM   #99

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had similar problems with our old Dutch
Star motorhome so knew the moment we bought the
Dolphin we would need Bilstein shocks. Only we
could not get them. Monroe did not have shocks
for the 02 workhorse either, just the cheap
bottom of the line shocks that came with it.
As soon as they were available we had the Bilsteins installed in the front. Workhorse
paid for them and also had new Monroes installed
in the rear. Workhorse also paid for them.
This spring I noticed the rear bouncing again
and fortunately Bilstein had a shock for the
rear now. Took it to Camping World and had
the Bilsteins installed, paying for it myself!
The Monroes were dead. Pushed them down and
they did not come back up! We also had the
track bars front and back installed and
SafeTSteer when we first installed the front
Bilsteins. We did this at the Quartzsite Az
RV Show in 02. We only have 12,000 miles on
our Dolphin but it rides and steers much better
now. Now if we could only get something done
about the weight distribution!
Frank A Henderson

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2004, 10:17 AM   #100

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
DriVer, I have a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer on a W-20 Workhorse Chassis and I do get a rolling affect in the rear when coming out of gas stations or any driveway and I do get a litle bounce in the front plus the ride is very hard, that is I feel a lot of the seams in the road. Would I qualify for 4 Bilstein or Magnum gas shocks and if so how would I go about it? I am interested in rear trac bar but have to cool funds for awhile.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 10:26 AM   #101
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TomfromNC:
I do get a rolling affect in the rear when coming out of gas stations or any driveway and I do get a litle bounce in the front plus the ride is very hard, that is I feel a lot of the seams in the road. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi Tom,
There's going to little to do about controlling the roll property of your motorhome since you no doubt already have both the front and rear 2.5 inch anti-sway bars. An aftermarket anti-sway bar from IPD could help attenuate roll if it's a big problem for you.

About feeling every road joint and expansion, that is the trade off that we all are experiencing, either we get rid of the massive amount of "pitch" that the motorhome exhibits at times when hitting a sharp vertical rise in the road or we get an exagerated feedback from road imperfections.

One thing that you must be experiencing is pretty smooth ride on good pavement and little to no porpoising. Perhaps in your situation "you" may want to try a set of adjustable "Koni" shock absorbers however these units are very expensive BUT they can be individually set to your preferences and desired ride requirements. (not too hard or soft)
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:30 AM   #102

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
DriVer,

Thanks for your reply however I don't have the sway bars like you said I do. The coach is a 2004 Adventurer but the chassis was manufactured in 2003. How do I get shock replacement to Bilsteins and how do I know what kind of shocks I have. I do know they are black and can't see any writing on them.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:18 AM   #103
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TomfromNC:
How do I get shock replacement to Bilsteins and how do I know what kind of shocks I have. I do know they are black and can't see any writing on them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If you look at the shock closely, take a light with you, you should be able to read the marks on the base of casing. If is says DSP then you have the shcok that most of us on long wheelbase motorhomes have been seeking to replace.

You're one of the few 33V owners that have voiced a ride issue with your motorhome. We've seen a lot of folks that are OK with the way their 33V rides but you certainly are allowed your preferences.

Now do you want Bilsteins on your 33V? -- That's up to you. If you feel that you have a ride issue take the MH down to your service center alsong with a scale ticket from a facility like CAT and you can put in a warranty claim if that's what you want to do.

The front 2.5 anti-sway bar was standard equipment as early as December 2003 however that's no guarantee that you have a 12/03 or better chassis under your 2004 33V.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:50 AM   #104

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
DriVer,
I will check as you suggested to find out what kind of shock I have. I know I didn't see a stabilizer bar on the front or rear of the frame. The unit does sway from left to right or vice versa when going out of a driveway and sometimes depending on the curve and the speed I am traveling at noses down. I have a ride problem like this with my 96 Minnie Winnie and was solved by installing Bilstein Shocks. One last point, if the shocks on my coach were OK how come Workhorse changed to Bilsteins on their 2005 model? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:41 AM   #105
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I know I didn't see a stabilizer bar on the front or rear of the frame. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well ... allow me to give you a suggestion as to where to look for your anti-sway bar. It is located directly in front of the coach, under and forward on the leaf springs, and is directly connected by cap screws to the front springs. You can't miss it.

The rear bar is visible from the rear of your axle housing, up and located toward the rear of the leaf spring, and is attached under the spring.

The principal here is torsional resistance by the use of the rectangular tube that provides lateral stability between each leaf spring.

2004 and above motorhomes should have 2.5" units on the front and rear depending on when your chassis was produced.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:13 PM   #106

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
DriVer,
I was under the coach today and did find the 2.5" bar across the front and tied to each leaf spring. There is also one connected the same way in the rear. For the life of me I can't how that will give stability to the frame but if you say so then it must be. I did look at the schocks and there is an emblem on them that I can't make out and the front shocks has a number S-1978 and the rears have a number
S-1981. They are both Black. I still don't know what kind of shocks they are or who makes them. Can you enlighten me? Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-23-2004, 07:43 PM   #107
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
For the life of me I can't how that will give stability to the frame but if you say so then it must be. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Those anti-sway bars act against roll tendencies and as one side torques up the other side torques in the opposite direction counteracting the rolling motion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the front shocks has a number S-1978 and the rears have a number S-1981. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep, those are DSP shocks. The DSP logo should be stamped on the bottom of the shock and it's just about the same height as the "S-nnnn" numbers.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:24 PM   #108

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
DriVer,
Thanks for the info now what do I do to get new shocks? Do I first contact Winnebago and then Workhorse? I can't do anything with dealer I bought coach from as they are in Forest City. What do I tell them? I would like all four shocks.
Tom
Old 10-24-2004, 04:31 PM   #109
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I bought coach from as they are in Forest City. What do I tell them? I would like all four shocks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You can't ask for a number of shocks because that's not resolving a problem. That's just you asking for shock absorbers. Go the the nearest authorized Workhorse service center in your state and tell them that your motorhome is "bouncing" and you would like to do something about it.

You can find the closest shop to by clicking on this link ----&gt; RVs: Find a Gas Service Dealer.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:07 AM   #110

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
DriVer,

Thank you for all your help and I will try Workhorse dealer and will mention to them about roll going down driveways and with any luck I will get all four however knowing my luck I may not get any. I may even check on Workhorses site too. Again thanks.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:25 AM   #111

Are you still recommending the Monroes RV Gas Mags or is it now Bilstiens?

05 Kountry Star 3910
Nick and Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:42 PM   #112
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick and Sheila:
Are you still recommending the Monroes RV Gas Mags or is it now Bilsteins? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Last year we were going Monroes "this" year we're going with Bilsteins.

Now there's nothing wrong with getting a set of 4 "new" Monroe RV Magnums, they are budget friendly and they work.

Bilsteins will last the life of the coach and they are on a different technology plane than the Monroes. Bilstein cost 2x more on average than the same Monroe unit.

Bilstein is now OEM equipment on all new W Series Workhorse motorhome chassis.